Sign in to follow this  
paxman85.

Road to aesthetics

Thought I may as well start a proper log here since it’s fairly active and has some knowledgeable members.  Have just come off a cycle,  made some good gains, still within my natty limit I know.

my journey so far

https://imgur.com/a/EUdF4QP

my routine:

Chest and tris

flat BB bench

Incline DB bench

cable flies

close grip bench

tricep pulldowns

back and bis and rear delts:

weighted pull ups

one arm bent over rows

lat pulldown

preacher curls

rear delt flies

shoulders and legs:

OHP

shoulder press machine

lateral raises

squats

leg press

Yeah I know my body is quite bad considering I’ve done a cycle and have 4 years in the gym so don’t point that out I’m already aware of it.    Anyway current plan is to do a natty cut get to 10% bf and see my abs for the first time then on a nice lean base where I’ll hopefully retain most of my muscle I’ll probably do another cycle at that point 

22 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

What’s your numbers and lift progression like bud? What’s your diet?

Bench max is about 115kg (never actually been that heavy but that’s based on those calculators)

OHP 55kg for 8

weihted pull-ups 10kg for 10

squat max is like 90kg for 5 but I only just started training legs

deadlifts i don’t do (maybe I should though?)

16 minutes ago, paxman85. said:

Bench max is about 115kg (never actually been that heavy but that’s based on those calculators)

OHP 55kg for 8

weihted pull-ups 10kg for 10

squat max is like 90kg for 5 but I only just started training legs

deadlifts i don’t do (maybe I should though?)

Sounds like you are eating right, it’s probably a progression issue for you more than anything.

What’s the methodology for progressing weight and reps? Are you trying to increase every session?

2 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

Sounds like you are eating right, it’s probably a progression issue for you more than anything.

What’s the methodology for progressing weight and reps? Are you trying to increase every session?

Yes but rotator cuff problems have meant it’s been difficult for me to increase weight and reps on pressing movements.  I think if I didn’t have these injury problems I’d be at 120 bench easily by now and 60+ OHP for reps.   My pull-ups progressed well, just bought a weight belt as well so gonna try some 15kg weighted pull-ups as I’ve outgrown the dumbbells, 10kg is the heaviest I can comfortably fit between my kneesp

3 minutes ago, paxman85. said:

Yes but rotator cuff problems have meant it’s been difficult for me to increase weight and reps on pressing movements.  I think if I didn’t have these injury problems I’d be at 120 bench easily by now and 60+ OHP for reps.   My pull-ups progressed well, just bought a weight belt as well so gonna try some 15kg weighted pull-ups as I’ve outgrown the dumbbells, 10kg is the heaviest I can comfortably fit between my kneesp

Sorry I must have missed you mentioning a shoulder issue. What exercises hurt your shoulder? Do you know if it’s impinged or not? And have you seen a physio and trying to rehab the issue? I wouldn’t recommend lifting through the pain, I found that out the hard way.

50 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

Sorry I must have missed you mentioning a shoulder issue. What exercises hurt your shoulder? Do you know if it’s impinged or not? And have you seen a physio and trying to rehab the issue? I wouldn’t recommend lifting through the pain, I found that out the hard way.

Mainly just flat bench.  Haven’t seen a physio I think it’s just minor thing but it’s a bit of a recurring issue 

10 hours ago, paxman85. said:

Mainly just flat bench.  Haven’t seen a physio I think it’s just minor thing but it’s a bit of a recurring issue 

If it’s recurring it’s definitely not a minor issue. My advice? Ditch the flat bench indefinitely in favour of incline and see a physio. You’ll be a lot better off for it.

The kind of numbers you are lifting puts you at an intermediate for your upper body and a novice for your lower, I’d program accordingly. Maybe look into a more periodized template to work off and simply progress linearly on squats and deadlifts whilst running it. 

4 hours ago, Quackerz said:

If it’s recurring it’s definitely not a minor issue. My advice? Ditch the flat bench indefinitely in favour of incline and see a physio. You’ll be a lot better off for it.

The kind of numbers you are lifting puts you at an intermediate for your upper body and a novice for your lower, I’d program accordingly. Maybe look into a more periodized template to work off and simply progress linearly on squats and deadlifts whilst running it. 

My gym doesn’t have an incline or I would have done this already.  Also with regards to physio how do I go about booking a session?  Do I just google physios in my city?  I could afford a one off session but there’s no chance I have the money for rehab or anything like that which would require weekly appointments

4 hours ago, paxman85. said:

My gym doesn’t have an incline or I would have done this already.  Also with regards to physio how do I go about booking a session?  Do I just google physios in my city?  I could afford a one off session but there’s no chance I have the money for rehab or anything like that which would require weekly appointments

Usually you’ll pay for a session, they’ll assess your mobility and prescribe a rehab routine you can do yourself at home. Just discuss what you want beforehand, these people work in all sorts of different price ranges. 

If you don’t feel like a physio is for you then there is also the option of the many shoulder and thoracic mobility programs out there on the internet. Like anything the key is staying consistent with it and progress will happen. 

4 hours ago, paxman85. said:

Get a referral off your doctor

8 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

Usually you’ll pay for a session, they’ll assess your mobility and prescribe a rehab routine you can do yourself at home. Just discuss what you want beforehand, these people work in all sorts of different price ranges. 

If you don’t feel like a physio is for you then there is also the option of the many shoulder and thoracic mobility programs out there on the internet. Like anything the key is staying consistent with it and progress will happen. 

Okay that’s much more realistic.  I don’t think it’s a major issue it’s not like super painful but yeah it’s better to get it checked out anyway.   I could just do incline DB presses do you think that would suffice for chest development?  Also in my position would you bulk or cut?  Bare in mind my goal is a fitness model Esque physique and I’ve been kind of bulking ever since I started lifting, I know I’m not huge yet but I feel like a cut and seeing my abs could give me a motivation boost

2 minutes ago, paxman85. said:

Okay that’s much more realistic.  I don’t think it’s a major issue it’s not like super painful but yeah it’s better to get it checked out anyway.   I could just do incline DB presses do you think that would suffice for chest development?  Also in my position would you bulk or cut?  Bare in mind my goal is a fitness model Esque physique and I’ve been kind of bulking ever since I started lifting, I know I’m not huge yet but I feel like a cut and seeing my abs could give me a motivation boost

You could progress amazingly off nothing but Incline dumbbells if you programmed it correctly. There are many substitutions but the takeaway point is to drop the exercises that give you pain. 

Lean bulking is probably your best option IMO but many like the feeling of being shredded and bulking from there, your pick at the end of the day.

6 minutes ago, paxman85. said:

Recently I have yes, (last 3 months)

hate to sound boring,  you don't need to train 6 days a week, your gonna fry your CNS s much as anything else.    try and get at least two rest days in  IMO if you feel you must do more hit 5 and hits legs twice at least.  good luck 

Just now, Mayzini said:

hate to sound boring,  you don't need to train 6 days a week, your gonna fry your CNS s much as anything else.    try and get at least two rest days in  IMO if you feel you must do more hit 5 and hits legs twice at least.  good luck 

I like doing bench OHP and Pull ups all twice a week thoigh, also my sessions are quite short like 45-50 minutes usually,  I prefer that to 4 x 1.5 hr workouts personally

Just now, paxman85. said:

I like doing bench OHP and Pull ups all twice a week thoigh, also my sessions are quite short like 45-50 minutes usually,  I prefer that to 4 x 1.5 hr workouts personally

mate you don't need to be training more than 45- 50 mins for a session ( unless your adding longer cardio at the end, I would add these to your rest days)    you might like doing these exercise twice a week, I like pressing and rowing because I am strong at them, but you have to train to build the physique you want.   the rest days allow you to grow, you do not grow in the gym you grow out of it.      I know loads of guys who bang in 6 days a week and make decent progress and then start spinning their wheels especially if natural.   

ill jut give you and example of my split not that you should follow it as its suited for me.  Monday Push chest dom Tuesday Pull  Wednesday legs/rest  Thursday push shoulder dominant ( for 4 weeks then swap for pull 4 weeks then legs 4 weeks)  Friday full body circuit, leg dominant.   None of my sessions run more than an hour most are done in 45-50 mins   sat/sun off both have cardio in at LISS for 30 mins at least. 

personally your not giving your body significant rest to grow in the long term. but all the best as ultimately it was suits you so don't let me or anyone discourage you we re just adding some assistance from errors we have all made. I trained 6 days for ages thinking I was doing well but all I did was get leaner. 

11 hours ago, Crackerman said:

^ this. 

Do the stuff you don't like doing to improve your body. 

Starting with legs, twice a week. 

90kg squats and a few half ass sets on legs press is not going to grow your legs mate.

Honestly, pay more attention to them and watch your whole body grow. 

I totally agree I need to give my legs more attention, I only started training them a few months ago.   Do you really think it’s necessary for me to switch to an upper lower 4 times a week the split thoigh, I feel like there’s too many upper body excercises I want to do to fit them all into just one session unless it’s like an hour and half long and honestly I just prefer doing shorter sessions of like 50 mins more often, I did for a while do a 4 day split with Salinger workouts but I just didn’t really like it as much?  My current plan is to 

1) get physio and sort out my shoulder problem

2) Get my bloods done to make sure I recovered okay from my cycle (I feel fine but it don’t help to check)

3) Do a little mini cut as this could give me a little motivation boost, also I’ve been bulking since I started now and I just fancy trying a cut for a change

4) Once I’m lean bulk again from there and get massive

what do you guys reckon?

2 hours ago, paxman85. said:

I totally agree I need to give my legs more attention, I only started training them a few months ago.   Do you really think it’s necessary for me to switch to an upper lower 4 times a week the split thoigh, I feel like there’s too many upper body excercises I want to do to fit them all into just one session unless it’s like an hour and half long and honestly I just prefer doing shorter sessions of like 50 mins more often, I did for a while do a 4 day split with Salinger workouts but I just didn’t really like it as much?  My current plan is to 

1) get physio and sort out my shoulder problem

2) Get my bloods done to make sure I recovered okay from my cycle (I feel fine but it don’t help to check)

3) Do a little mini cut as this could give me a little motivation boost, also I’ve been bulking since I started now and I just fancy trying a cut for a change

4) Once I’m lean bulk again from there and get massive

what do you guys reckon?

id also work on your form for bench and any pressing work and add in face pulls. Using the correct form and even making small adjustments can make a huge difference to your shoulder health.