Jake6

Squats lower back pain

So I've been doing squats for just over a month, started with just the bar as my problem was i couldn't get low enough, could get to like 45 degree at a push. Finally can get low now , below 90. 

Done 3x10 3 days ago with heaviest I've squatted, 100kg, and even now 3 days later my lower back still gives in when i bend down, its the worse when I'm trying get weights off the piles and racking them on the bar

Any solution to this? Is it worth investing in a belt or can it be sorted with a trick with my form?

Need to sort it quickly as it stopped me doing bent over rows today and after squats and extensions i couldnt train hams 

It's taken me about the last year to properly get my squat form to a place where it feels good and doesn't beat me up. This is after backing the weight right down and working my way back up with the strictest form.  Is there a chance that as you have only been squatting for a month that your form isn't so hot and you're brut forcing the lift?

14 minutes ago, kruz said:

It's taken me about the last year to properly get my squat form to a place where it feels good and doesn't beat me up. This is after backing the weight right down and working my way back up with the strictest form.  Is there a chance that as you have only been squatting for a month that your form isn't so hot and you're brut forcing the lift?

I wouldn't say my forms bad, always room for improvement but i don't cheat reps or anything, especially squats as I'm wary about the weight being on me

49 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

most likely lack of bracing your core properly, which helps keep everything tight .. a belt will help with this, but only if you know how to use it, they dont just keep your back in a good position like commonly thought

What does this mean exactly? And how do i learn to do so?

I don't train abs if you mean it's due to weak abs

1 hour ago, Jake6 said:

What does this mean exactly? And how do i learn to do so?

I don't train abs if you mean it's due to weak abs

weak abs is a possibility, but you dont have to train them (I dont) .. to brace, take a deep breath, then imagine you're about to get punched in the stomach and are bracing for the impact .. you want to keep this tension throughout the exercise, obviously to do this without holding your breath takes a little bit of practise (look up belly breathing)

3 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

weak abs is a possibility, but you dont have to train them (I dont) .. to brace, take a deep breath, then imagine you're about to get punched in the stomach and are bracing for the impact .. you want to keep this tension throughout the exercise, obviously to do this without holding your breath takes a little bit of practise (look up belly breathing)

Nice one mate I'll look into it so kind of just keep my abs tensed 

1 hour ago, Jake6 said:

Nice one mate I'll look into it so kind of just keep my abs tensed 

It's more like filling your abdomen with air and then using your abs to brace against it , if that makes sense. And please don't think I'm being a dick, but this is what I was referring to when I previously mentioned form. There's more to it than just making the bar go up and down. 

Hi Jake, I've just read through this - I work at a clinic and we've actually done a video on how to activate your core -  I've just copied the link here to the right time: 

Hope it's helpful :-) 

On 04/11/2019 at 2:25 PM, Jake6 said:

So I've been doing squats for just over a month, started with just the bar as my problem was i couldn't get low enough, could get to like 45 degree at a push. Finally can get low now , below 90. 

Done 3x10 3 days ago with heaviest I've squatted, 100kg, and even now 3 days later my lower back still gives in when i bend down, its the worse when I'm trying get weights off the piles and racking them on the bar

Any solution to this? Is it worth investing in a belt or can it be sorted with a trick with my form?

Need to sort it quickly as it stopped me doing bent over rows today and after squats and extensions i couldnt train hams 

Front squat to back squat ... properly.

Granted not everyone would need to take this approach, however in your case (with lower back pain visiting you few days later), it maybe the best option that you’ve never considered before ..., now.

Why do I say that?

I say the above based not on you specifically, but rather on the back squat itself as an exercise, one that allows for lack of form to creep in without any hint of “push-back” from it.

Enter the front squat. This movement is merciless, and being so, works great in your favour when it comes to injury prevention, namely lower back injury. Lose bit of lumber region form during the back squat, and that exercise will see you continuing with one rep after another .... try and do the same during a front squat, and the bar will simply drop in front of you and onto the floor below, it’s that simple.

Why is the above measure so important? It’s important because 1) it’ll prevent a lower back injury/stiffness in your lower back area, and 2), it’ll teach you the fundamentals of maintaining an erect and solid upper torso, a position with benefits that would come very apparent once you return to back squatting.

Strengthening your lower back.

One of the best compound moves that’ll strengthen your lower back, is the Romanian deadlift. Back extensions is its isolation equivalent if you have trouble performing the RDL properly.

Master a 40kg then a 60kg front squat, and I guarantee you you’ll never have a lower back problem performing a back squat in the future.

Take your time/nail the form, and never rush to increase the load onto the bar prior to achieving/mastering proper lifting form.

All the best to you mate.

Just to add to the above there are plenty of hip, thoracic and ankle mobility routines out there. 10 mins daily or twice daily if you can will sort you out in no time. Mobility work is a very overlooked tool that everyone should get into. 

Watch videos on YouTube. It can be mobility issues or not bracing.

I squat with my heels raised as I have issues in ankle mobility issues.

You can try squatting with a raised heel and try.

Film yourself squatting and we can then see what's the issue.

The squat is a whole body exercise, your core (including lower back) are all working to stabilise the weight. 

Do you squat lowbar? If so your back will be doing more of the effort than a high bar or front squat.

Bracing for a lift is easy. Take a reasonable breath. Hold it, and while holding it tense your abs like someone was about to punch you in the stomach. This keeps the midsection tight.

Personally i never squat past 90', and have pretty much always squatted lowbar. I do front squats now and then.