Sign in to follow this  
Simon90

Does cycling hinder gains?

I cycle 10 miles total a day. Split over 4 journies to and from work and too and from gym. 

Riding home after leg day is a killer lol but I was wondering will this slow down or hinder gaining muscle? Or just simply eat more 

38 minutes ago, Simon90 said:

I cycle 10 miles total a day. Split over 4 journies to and from work and too and from gym. 

Riding home after leg day is a killer lol but I was wondering will this slow down or hinder gaining muscle? Or just simply eat more 

Potentially yes. It’s a case of managing total fatigue. You need to monitor your progress. It’s quite possible you may have to cut back on your volume in the gym or take additional rest days.

The intensity at which you cycle will also play a part in this.

16 hours ago, Bensif said:

Potentially yes. It’s a case of managing total fatigue. You need to monitor your progress. It’s quite possible you may have to cut back on your volume in the gym or take additional rest days.

The intensity at which you cycle will also play a part in this.

My volume is low, I'm doing 4 sets per muscle except back I do 8 and Legs I do 12 that's per week split over 2 upper lower sessions 

The intensity is a good point, I could do with lowering it and cycling at a slower pace 

1 hour ago, Simon90 said:

My volume is low, I'm doing 4 sets per muscle except back I do 8 and Legs I do 12 that's per week split over 2 upper lower sessions 

The intensity is a good point, I could do with lowering it and cycling at a slower pace 

It might not be hindering your gains, we don’t know as there is not enough data. It’s merely something you want to keep an eye on.

I do ‘warm up’ cardio before every session, HR around 130. Generally I use my spin bike and it’s for 20 minutes. I personally I have to keep and eye on it and rotate to incline treadmill as I do find leg volume and overall fatigue accumulates quickly.

Its not impossible to grow with this in place,  but you will be need to a bit clever with your leg workouts, frequency etc.

We could use the argument of ‘Olympic sprint cyclists and leg size’ but I think the reality is that they are genetic outliers.

Keep it up. Yes it may have some affect on gains but not nearly as much as you're probably concerned about. You'll feel fitter, look more ripped, and your calf work is already done. I recently moved to a city and no longer cycle after doing so for most of my adult life and miss it so keep riding and enjoy it.

On 01/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, Simon90 said:

Na la, Chris Hoy trained everyday.

Just make sure you consume enough cals for your goal.