Sign in to follow this  
MFM

Anyone started permanently snoring after starting to blast and cruise?

I've never snored in my life but as soon as I started blasting and cruising I've started permanently snoring. It's driving the wife mad and she's now sleeping in one of the spare rooms.

I've had to order some hannibal looking contraption to see if it will help but otherwise I'm not sure how to solve this.

8 minutes ago, Djibril said:

I snore in general and it drives the wife mad too.

Are you a lot heavier then before you started blast and cruise? 

I am heavier but not massively so. Cruising at the moment and on a slow cut so not sure. The snoring started just as I turned 39 so maybe that's when my warranty ran out.

i was going to ask this! i've put on weight of course since being on cycle but still, only just shy of 14 stone at 6ft so hardly heavy. I have been demoted to the spare room my snoring has got so bad. never snored before this cycle, unless really drunk... 

3 minutes ago, MFM said:

I am heavier but not massively so. Cruising at the moment and on a slow cut so not sure. The snoring started just as I turned 39 so maybe that's when my warranty ran out.

thats not good to hear, i was hoping when i drop to cruise in a couple of weeks it might go! 

20 minutes ago, rbduk said:

thats not good to hear, i was hoping when i drop to cruise in a couple of weeks it might go! 

It's actually got worse since I've started. I was telling the wife to stop making up stuff as I don't snore. Until she recorded me. I sound like a jack hammer. :lol:

8 minutes ago, MFM said:

It's actually got worse since I've started. I was telling the wife to stop making up stuff as I don't snore. Until she recorded me. I sound like a jack hammer. :lol:

same, we've had a few barnies about it at home. she was disapearing middle of the night to the spare room and moaning its because of my snoring but i've never snored! 

now because the spare room bed is less comfortable thats my room! 

6 minutes ago, rbduk said:

same, we've had a few barnies about it at home. she was disapearing middle of the night to the spare room and moaning its because of my snoring but i've never snored! 

now because the spare room bed is less comfortable thats my room! 

I use the excuse that the other beds hurt my back so she goes down begrudgingly(not on me at the moment unfortunately).

55 minutes ago, MFM said:

I've never snored in my life but as soon as I started blasting and cruising I've started permanently snoring. It's driving the wife mad and she's now sleeping in one of the spare rooms.

I've had to order some hannibal looking contraption to see if it will help but otherwise I'm not sure how to solve this.

Same thing here, Age 25-27, Doesn't matter if I'm 11st or 15st (A bit worse top end)

Went the last 2 years being tested for sleep apnea and nothing has come up.

I ended up buying a ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Cpap machine, and wear it at night. Doesn't stop the snoring but masks the sound enough  most the time.

5 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Same thing here, Age 25-27, Doesn't matter if I'm 11st or 15st (A bit worse top end)

I ended up buying a ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Cpap machine, and wear it at night. Doesn't stop the snoring but masks the sound enough  most the time.

jesus thats full on! i'd rather sleep in an empty bed and starfish this s**t out of it whilst snoring my head off

I had rather sleep in the floor too if the other option is to wear a mask without having sleep apnea. Only thing that helps at least what the wife says is sleeping on the side, if i sleep looking up and specially without a pillow is where it gets worst and for some reason where i feel the best lately lol

I got to 20+stone with a 20+" inch neck when I was powerlifting and got sleep apnea. I couldn't wear the mask so I decided to cut weight.

I am now 19st at decent BF%, diet is clean, lots of water. What is also important is the gear you are using : does it aromatise and cause water retention. I now use Primo with a touch of Test, Var/Winny and Halo preWO.

I still snore a little but I'm not falling asleep everywhere. Also try one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044MBO50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18 minutes ago, Djibril said:

I had rather sleep in the floor too if the other option is to wear a mask without having sleep apnea. Only thing that helps at least what the wife says is sleeping on the side, if i sleep looking up and specially without a pillow is where it gets worst and for some reason where i feel the best lately lol

this makes sense, hurts my shoulders lately to sleep on my side so started sleeping on my back a lot!

10 minutes ago, Huntingground said:

I got to 20+stone with a 20+" inch neck when I was powerlifting and got sleep apnea. I couldn't wear the mask so I decided to cut weight.

I am now 19st at decent BF%, diet is clean, lots of water. What is also important is the gear you are using : does it aromatise and cause water retention. I now use Primo with a touch of Test, Var/Winny and Halo preWO.

I still snore a little but I'm not falling asleep everywhere. Also try one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044MBO50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

do you think it was water retention, BF or just sheer size that had the biggest impact?

6 minutes ago, rbduk said:

do you think it was water retention, BF or just sheer size that had the biggest impact?

All of it mate plus age as I am 46yo.

It is not just BF% related as some of the big pro BBers wear CPAPs. Eddie Hall and Brian Shaw wear them too. It was definitely a combo of factors IMO.

If you snore and feel tired/fall asleep during the day then get your doctor to send you to a sleep clinic for a sleep study. Sleep apnea is no joke and will not only damage your quality of life it will also shorten your life. Obstructive sleep apnea has been linked with insulin resistance, increased red blood cell count (thick blood), left ventricular hypertrophy, heart attack and stroke. Funnily enough many of these conditions are also caused by AAS use, so when you combine steroid use and sleep apnea your asking for big trouble. 

I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive sleep apnea a few years ago. Whilst I wasn't fat I was still 20+ stone of muscle and had a very thick neck, all of which the body finds difficult to cope with during sleep.  Doctor said I had one of the worst apnea scores he had ever seen. He also said he's seeing an increased amount of heavily muscled patients with sleep apnea due mainly to the thickness of their necks (weight of neck causes windpipe to collapse when sleeping). CPAP treatment has really changed my life and I feel so much better. I've also noticed I recover far quicker now and I carry a lower level of body fat without even dieting (think I was on the road to insulin resistance before treatment). 

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

CPAP isn't really meant to stop snoring but may decrease it a bit. Its main goal is to add air pressure to the throat to maintain an open airway and stop it collapsing in on itself (apnea event).

If you've not been diagnosed with sleep apnea then I'd say its probably a hell of a lot of hassle for no benefit. Their uncomfortable, dries you out unless it has a humidifier built in and even the auto ones need setting up properly to be effective or you'll end up swallowing loads of air which can be very painful or not get enough air to do anything of benefit.

15 minutes ago, Matt83 said:

CPAP isn't really meant to stop snoring but may decrease it a bit. Its main goal is to add air pressure to the throat to maintain an open airway and stop it collapsing in on itself (apnea event).

If you've not been diagnosed with sleep apnea then I'd say its probably a hell of a lot of hassle for no benefit. Their uncomfortable, dries you out unless it has a humidifier built in and even the auto ones need setting up properly to be effective or you'll end up swallowing loads of air which can be very painful or not get enough air to do anything of benefit.

Being Diagnosed is the problem.

Some nights I feel the benefits, some nights I don't. It's got a humidifier built in (always forget to refill it).

I tend to fall asleep normally, and when I hit peak snore mode, the mrs gives me a slove, and then I'll roll over and put the mask on while half asleep, and then fall back sleep quickly.

Another late in life snorer here!

Started in my late 30's and never stopped since. 

Recently had nasal surgery but that didn't do anything to help it

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

Being Diagnosed is the problem.

Some nights I feel the benefits, some nights I don't. It's got a humidifier built in (always forget to refill it).

I tend to fall asleep normally, and when I hit peak snore mode, the mrs gives me a slove, and then I'll roll over and put the mask on while half asleep, and then fall back sleep quickly.

Do you feel slightly hungover on waking even though you didn't drink the night before? Feel constantly tired or like you have the flu? Do you fall asleep at inappropriate times (in work, driving, mid conversation)? If your answer is no or mainly no to these questions then you probably don't have sleep apnea or an apnea event score that requires treatment. 

Most people snore, mainly coz we have big comfortable beds that allow us to lol about on are backs which provides an unnatural sleeping position (humans were meant to sleep on their sides, no pillow, head supported by arm just like the other ape species do). This bad sleeping position allows the soft fleshy parts of our throats to rattle about as we breath thus creating snoring. Sleep apnea differs as this is when the throat relaxes and collapses inwards causing you to stop breathing until the brain realises there's a problem and sends a signal for you to gasp for air and reinflate the throat. This process happens over and over again throughout the night and in a sleep study they will measure the frequency of apnea events and duration. They will also measure how much you snore.  Up to 5 events an hour is normal, 5- 15 is low and probably won't need treatment, 15-30 is moderate and will need treatment, 30+ is severe and definitely needs treatment. To put it into perspective I was having 40+ events per hour, some lasting only 10 seconds while others went on for over 2 minutes. My brain waves hardly ever fell into REM sleep and the doctor said my snoring was the equivalent of someone shouting in my wife's ear all night .... I laughed but she didn't :-).

I would love to be able to fall asleep without having to wear the mask, head strap and bloody annoying pipe, so I really can't understand someone using one if they've been told they don't have apnea. But if you feel it helps and you can put up with the uncomfort then I guess it can only be a good thing. Expensive toys to buy mind, glad the NHS gave me my one.

Also you should really try to put fresh water in it every night and disinfect the water tank at least once a week. Warm air passing through water is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria that you'll then spend the whole night breathing in.

20 minutes ago, Matt83 said:

Do you feel slightly hungover on waking even though you didn't drink the night before? Feel constantly tired or like you have the flu? Do you fall asleep at inappropriate times (in work, driving, mid conversation)? If your answer is no or mainly no to these questions then you probably don't have sleep apnea or an apnea event score that requires treatment. 

Most people snore, mainly coz we have big comfortable beds that allow us to lol about on are backs which provides an unnatural sleeping position (humans were meant to sleep on their sides, no pillow, head supported by arm just like the other ape species do). This bad sleeping position allows the soft fleshy parts of our throats to rattle about as we breath thus creating snoring. Sleep apnea differs as this is when the throat relaxes and collapses inwards causing you to stop breathing until the brain realises there's a problem and sends a signal for you to gasp for air and reinflate the throat. This process happens over and over again throughout the night and in a sleep study they will measure the frequency of apnea events and duration. They will also measure how much you snore.  Up to 5 events an hour is normal, 5- 15 is low and probably won't need treatment, 15-30 is moderate and will need treatment, 30+ is severe and definitely needs treatment. To put it into perspective I was having 40+ events per hour, some lasting only 10 seconds while others went on for over 2 minutes. My brain waves hardly ever fell into REM sleep and the doctor said my snoring was the equivalent of someone shouting in my wife's ear all night .... I laughed but she didn't :-).

I would love to be able to fall asleep without having to wear the mask, head strap and bloody annoying pipe, so I really can't understand someone using one if they've been told they don't have apnea. But if you feel it helps and you can put up with the uncomfort then I guess it can only be a good thing. Expensive toys to buy mind, glad the NHS gave me my one.

I tend to get the tiredness throughout the day, and waking up with headaches, Very rarely drink anything.

I had one of the home test machines and my EPH score was too low to be sleep apnea about 2 years ago, I had a re-test done in April and got my appointment for the results on Tuesday. 

Got a memory foam matress and pillow, 9 out of time I sleep on my side with my arm under the pillow.  

I know what you mean, it's horrible sleeping with it so luckily most the time I get to fall asleep without it and my mrs wakes me up and tells me to put it on, so I'm never really awake when I put the mask on.

The A-PAP cost me £500 around Sept 2018, and bloody saved my relationship.

I had the septoplasty surgery in Nov last year but that didn't do anything.  

Recovery is meant to be very very painful but I'm pushing to go the full yard and have the uvulopalatopharyngoplasty.

Yes I was tested for sleep apnea with a basic equipment test then a more detailed/expensive test and both showed no sleep apnea.

However it did show my excessive snoring was interrupting my sleep quite a lot. To the point of me feeling tired majority of the time etc as @Matt83 mentioned previously.

The hospital have suggested a mouth guard device to try. Which I will do but don't know how easy it'll be to sleep with this!

They can loan me a CPAP but cannot provide one permanent as I have not been diagnosed with clinical sleep apnea so would have to purchase myself.

2 hours ago, Vinny said:

I tend to get the tiredness throughout the day, and waking up with headaches, Very rarely drink anything.

I had one of the home test machines and my EPH score was too low to be sleep apnea about 2 years ago, I had a re-test done in April and got my appointment for the results on Tuesday. 

Got a memory foam matress and pillow, 9 out of time I sleep on my side with my arm under the pillow.  

I know what you mean, it's horrible sleeping with it so luckily most the time I get to fall asleep without it and my mrs wakes me up and tells me to put it on, so I'm never really awake when I put the mask on.

The A-PAP cost me £500 around Sept 2018, and bloody saved my relationship.

I had the septoplasty surgery in Nov last year but that didn't do anything.  

Recovery is meant to be very very painful but I'm pushing to go the full yard and have the uvulopalatopharyngoplasty.

From what iv heard these surgeries are pretty tough and have a low success rate. Even the ones that do succeed tend to get tissue regrowth later on down the line so they just seem a waste of time.

Iv got a pretty badly deviated septum from scrapping when I was younger and popping my nose back in place (well, best I could anyway). They offered me surgery to correct it and improve my breathing but once they told me what was involved I really couldn't be bothered to go through all that.

Good luck with your results!