UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Warm up for squats

856 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Anytimestrength 
#1 ·
Suffered joint inflammation in most of my joints for a year. Now a year later and it still takes me approximately 15-30 minutes to warm up before I can do a leg or treadmill session.

How can I improve this. Currently I only stretch on my workouts, would stretching more frequently be a solution?

My warm up is; Calf, hams, hip flexors, tibias stretching. This can be a minute or more for each area, depending on how stiff iam.

Open to suggestions.

#2 ·
I don't do static stretching before squats, but concentrate more on dynamic type stretching.

I warm up my core before any session; in & outs, bridges, side planks (2x10 of each), then some cat/cow poses.

Then, on squat and deadlift days I do 3x10 kettle bell swings, 3x5 box jumps. I find box jumps great for firing up those fast twitch fibres.

Then, onto the rack, deep lunges/lizard pose, then a couple of sets with an empty bar.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
as Dylan said, in my opinion dynamic stretches and light weight movements would be better on the day (although I do quite a bit less than he).. and keep the static stretching for days you aren't working those muscles, or after the workout if you wish

edit; the only static stretching I really do before a workout is hamstrings, glutes and hip flexors before a deadlift session, as these are always tight as I work an office job

#7 ·
i think by and large people massively over do warming up and usually at a detriment to their structural integrity

your body actually wants certain parts of you to remain tight, kind of like the structural cables of a bridge tower, if they were excessively loose then the tower would be unstable

ive even experienced this first hand many years back when i first started lifting i thought i needed more mobility than i actually did for my lifting and as such ran limber 11 (google it) on off days from training and found that i just got injured more often and or fell out of position easier during a lift i wanted to remain rigid in (SBD)

that said i think aside from a very specific to the individual's unnatural tightness simply performing a few sets of goblet squats to open up the hips followed by 3-5 reps with an empty bar, 60kg for 3-5 reps and then controlled singles up to their working weight is an ample squat warm up to a set of 12 or a 1rm

the main thing to remember is to treat 20kg like your 1rm and your 1rm like 20kg

and what i mean by that is your intention should be to make every rep look identical inc all of your bracing, walk out and rerack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.