Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andyb9385

Compound only routine

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone looking for some help. 

I have recently got my Passion back for lifting all things heavy again. I have been doing bodybuilding splits mainly upper/lower etc making sure i progress each session. My reasoning behind wanting to change is I want to get back to basics and get rid of all the fluff exercises and build some real strength. I have been looking at using the big  lifts, squat, bench, deadlift, bb row, pull up, dips and ohp and building a program around these of possible so any help on how you would arrange this would be great. I'm 5ft10 180lbs and fairly lean currently. I look forward to hearing your advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


workout A 

Squat 5 sets of 5 reps 
Military press 5 sets of 5 reps 
Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps 
Pull ups 3 sets of 10 reps 

Workout B

Squat 5 sets of 5 reps
Bench 5 sets of 5 reps 
Barbell row 5 sets of 5 reps
Dips 3 sets of 10 reps


Week 1

Monday: A
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: B
Thursday: Rest
Friday: A
Saturday: Rest 
Sunday: Rest

Week 1

Monday: B
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: A
Thursday: Rest
Friday: B
Saturday: Rest 
Sunday: Rest




every time you hit the full prescribed repetitions, the following workout that you do that exercise add 2.5kg to the bar 

for example: Monday 5x5 squat with 100kg
Wednesday 5x5 squat with 102.5kg 


if you fail a weight keep it the same and have 3 attempts at it over 3 workouts, if you fail it 3 times on 3 different workouts / dont manage to hit 5 sets of 5 repetitions with that weight 
lower the weight by 10% and build back up to it in the same 2.5kg progressive fashion as outlined above 

for the body weight lifts aim for 10 - 15 reps, once you are able to do 3x15 start adding weight with a dip belt or dumbbell clasped between your thighs 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Andyb9385 said:

Sounds good and pretty much what I was thinking. Is this something you do yourself and if so what sort of results are you getting 

im not able to progress at this rate any more and havnt been able to for quite some time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would probably be worth your while to read Practical Programming, so you understand how to manipulate the variables involved in recovery and adaptation.

What swole troll wrote is perfectly fine, but it will stop working after a few months, and which point you'll have to periodically tweak things to keep the weight moving up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Vince the Mince said:

it will stop working after a few months, and which point you'll have to periodically tweak things to keep the weight moving up.

madcows once this stalls 

then the texas method 

then 531 

if he follows all programs to the letter 
eeking every last bit of progress out of them following the correct deload protocols and eating in a caloric surplus that'll keep him busy for years and put a s**t load of meat on his body and weight on the bar 

most get too sucked into the 'hypergalactictrophy rep range' 
put 40kg on your bench press whilst eating in a caloric surplus and your triceps, delts and pecs will be carrying considerably more lean tissue

youll gain this kind of strength much easier in the 5s then you will the 12s and 15s 

these higher rep ranges have their place 100% but everyone should pay their dues with the 5s and most do not and it shows in their physique, form and strength level.

(agree with everything you posted btw, just adding to) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, swole troll said:

madcows once this stalls 

then the texas method 

then 531 

if he follows all programs to the letter 
eeking every last bit of progress out of them following the correct deload protocols and eating in a caloric surplus that'll keep him busy for years and put a s**t load of meat on his body and weight on the bar 

most get too sucked into the 'hypergalactictrophy rep range' 
put 40kg on your bench press whilst eating in a caloric surplus and your triceps, delts and pecs will be carrying considerably more lean tissue

youll gain this kind of strength much easier in the 5s then you will the 12s and 15s 

these higher rep ranges have their place 100% but everyone should pay their dues with the 5s and most do not and it shows in their physique, form and strength level.

(agree with everything you posted btw, just adding to) 

Yeah, exactly. Wish I'd known what I do now when I was 17 and doing rubbish like GVT squats with 60kg, or reverse grip tricep pushdown dropsets or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/09/2019 at 3:13 PM, Vince the Mince said:

Yeah, exactly. Wish I'd known what I do now when I was 17 and doing rubbish like GVT squats with 60kg, or reverse grip tricep pushdown dropsets or whatever.

This stuff certainly all has its merits, but a lot of people neglect heavy work while doing this stuff. You can do both and generally, a combination of both heavy and more metabolic-based training is more optimal than just doing one or the other. There's a reason all top level powerlifters and strongmen do their fair share of volume work with light weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, nWo said:

This stuff certainly all has its merits, but a lot of people neglect heavy work while doing this stuff. You can do both and generally, a combination of both heavy and more metabolic-based training is more optimal than just doing one or the other. There's a reason all top level powerlifters and strongmen do their fair share of volume work with light weights.

Yeah, you're right of course. It was more the fact I was 135lbs and struggling to squat 1 plate that made it pointless, is what I meant, not so much that type of training itself, which has it's place (still dubious about GVT though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Vince the Mince said:

Yeah, you're right of course. It was more the fact I was 135lbs and struggling to squat 1 plate that made it pointless, is what I meant, not so much that type of training itself, which has it's place (still dubious about GVT though).

Yeah, we've all been there mate, good for me that I figured the concept of progressive overload very early on but it takes years to sink in for many.

GVT as a program is pretty s**t tbh, but then it was designed by Charles Poloquin so that's to be expected. The 10x10 method itself though is tried and trusted and has stood the test of time, it's been used for decades, you just have to use it the right way. Poloquin says do it as a main exercise, go to failure on the last 3-4 sets etc - stupid. No need to go to failure with it, the sheer volume negates the need for that, plus it should be done on a secondary exercise after a main heavy lift. I wrote a thread on what I believe to be the best way to run it is. Jim Wendler also advises running it in a similar fashion, as secondary after a big lift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nWo said:

I wrote a thread on what I believe to be the best way to run it is. Jim Wendler also advises running it in a similar fashion, as secondary after a big lift.

Yeah, "Boring But Big"? I've done that and it's much more reasonable. 5x10 is plenty for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vince the Mince said:

Yeah, "Boring But Big"? I've done that and it's much more reasonable. 5x10 is plenty for me.

Nah, BBB is a different program mate. In his Beyond 531 book he includes a number of "assistance templates" and one of them is a 10x10 program, where you do the 531 sets, then drop the weight and do a further 10 sets. Then 10x10 on a back exercise. There's a screenshot of one of his templates in the thread I linked above. It's not my favourite way to program it, but it's a shite site better than Pillockuins version :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×