Sign in to follow this  
trillion7104

May self medicate for general wellbeing, sex drive, anxiety reduction - need advice

I'll dive straight into this. My girlfriend of 3 years ended it with my recently, and I later discovered she was cheating on me. Hit me really, really hard - for the first few weeks I was incredibly emotionally unstable, and to this date (4 weeks on) I still struggle. I know these things are normal, but my emotions have been all over the place, where I have friends who can deal with this stuff much better. I have always had a younger looking face, little body hair, struggled to make significant strength gains in the gym, and for the last 6 years (I'm 27) I've had a low sex drive. A couple of years ago I was prescribed Cabergoline for managing ever so slightly elevated prolactin, and this has helped significantly with my sex drive, however I do wonder if the root cause of my low libido is testosterone. I have had tests for total testosterone previously, and these have always fallen between 16.4Nmol/L and 24.4nmol/L, with the highest being the most recent (2 years ago). My free testosterone has never been checked. Estradiol was around 112 of whatever the UK units are (or 30.5 in the US units). Thyroid was fine - 1.1TSH IIRC, FT4 just below the top of the range.

The issue for me is that I have existing social anxiety, low self esteem and I'm really struggling to get my life in gear and go after what I need. It just so happens that my good friends are all leaving for different parts of the globe this month, and I lost my dog when my relationship with my girlfriend ended too. I need to conquer my fear of social situations, have a greater sense of self esteem and go after what I want. Be more mentally bulletproof. Even before the relationship ended, I was struggling a bit with depression and considering testosterone, but now this feels like the final nail in the coffin. I have a home test kit for free testosterone which I'll take on one of my better days, and I'm seconds away from pulling the trigger on some test cypionate online. I plan to inject 125mg a week, and have AI and Comid on hand just in case.

I suspect even my private endo won't prescribe test for me, as I have a very good feeling that my free test will fall in the normal range. I'm sick of feeling this way. I want to feel like a man again. Can anyone advise?

Uk endo's are told to aim for a trough level of 15n/mol , so your test levels are already above what an endo would aim for.

with those levels any problems you are experiencing are not down to low test , all you are going to do by self medicating is shut down your HPTA system and prob mess yourself up even more.

Thanks for your replies. I sort of expected this kind of response in honesty, however I wanted to ask - are we not treating symptoms here? I still don't know what my free test is, but I do know that I have low libido (without the cabergoline), low drive, social anxiety, all sorts of the symptoms of low test. I've also read that some men need to be up above 1000 to feel like themselves again. Of course, I may have high SHBG and low free test - I don't know yet. I do know that I want symptom resolution. A low sex drive isn't in my head!!

5 hours ago, trillion7104 said:

Thanks for your replies. I sort of expected this kind of response in honesty, however I wanted to ask - are we not treating symptoms here? I still don't know what my free test is, but I do know that I have low libido (without the cabergoline), low drive, social anxiety, all sorts of the symptoms of low test. I've also read that some men need to be up above 1000 to feel like themselves again. Of course, I may have high SHBG and low free test - I don't know yet. I do know that I want symptom resolution. A low sex drive isn't in my head!!

the problem is that the symptoms you have are also the symptoms of a lot of other conditions far more likely than low test (which you do not have) -the most common one being depression /and/or an anxiety disorder.

atm you are just trying to convince yourself that you need trt therapy - from a medical perspective you dont .