Sign in to follow this  
captainhastings

shoulder tendonitis

Any one got any good news please? Been training about 4 years and things were suddenly going really well. Muscle building and weights going up then bang now got lots of pain in various parts of the shoulder. From what I have read seems to be tendonitis. Have laid off weights for 3 weeks though I did have a little dabble but immediate pain so stopped. Bit of a pisser and I can feel all me hard work slipping away

find pain free movement 

im assuming you can train your legs entirely pain free so focus on those 

in most case back work is also still on the cards so thats another huge muscle group you can train

in terms of pressing can you do horizontal pressing? if no can you do vertical? if no try switching the grip to neutral / hammer grip or doing side laterals, rear delt flies and front raises for shoulders 

you just need to figure out what you can do and hammer that whilst allowing the inflammation to go down

i was out of all pressing except for hammer grip dumbbell bench back in 2013 and it took a full 3 months before i could slowly ease back in to decline bench with a barbell 

pain free movement and pain free progression is key to recovery 

6 minutes ago, swole troll said:

find pain free movement 

im assuming you can train your legs entirely pain free so focus on those 

in most case back work is also still on the cards so thats another huge muscle group you can train

in terms of pressing can you do horizontal pressing? if no can you do vertical? if no try switching the grip to neutral / hammer grip or doing side laterals, rear delt flies and front raises for shoulders 

you just need to figure out what you can do and hammer that whilst allowing the inflammation to go down

i was out of all pressing except for hammer grip dumbbell bench back in 2013 and it took a full 3 months before i could slowly ease back in to decline bench with a barbell 

pain free movement and pain free progression is key to recovery 

Cheers swole that in its self is encouraging. I can't do curls and any sort of press horizontally.  Or any thing that involves weight on the shoulder it seems. But I have not tried vertically it never occured to me.  Will have an experiment. Thank you

I'm in a similar situation with my shoulders, can't do bench or ohp or db press, so as @swole troll said above, I've had to find other ways to hit the same muscle groups while it heals, cable flies are fine for chest, side lateral raises, rear delt flies are fine for shoulders, face pulls for rear delts

Feels like it's working, I was originally getting some pain doing side raises but not now, bench still hurts (I keep trying every now and then with just the bar or 10 a side) but getting better

Still growing even without much pressing though, just making sure I do those lighter exercises to failure each set

56 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Cheers swole that in its self is encouraging. I can't do curls and any sort of press horizontally.  Or any thing that involves weight on the shoulder it seems. But I have not tried vertically it never occured to me.  Will have an experiment. Thank you

if you have access to a strongman log this will be by default the most anatomically sound over head press since it involves a neutral grip 

same for the bench press, all might not be lost if you have access to a football bar 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyqRusQwR-VjWm0tmtM

if you do not have access to one then id encourage you to try a decline neutral grip dumbbell bench

Decline-Hammer-Grip-Dumbbell-Bench-Press

just have a play about 

ive been through (and currently suffering) some very severe gym related injuries that id trade in a heart beat for some shoulder tendinitis

trick is just find that pain free movement and work on active recovery

you also need to look at why you got hurt in the first place, was it a form error? programming error? 
you must decipher this in order to avoid the same happening in the future as once an injury has occurred that weakness is always there 

both my elbows are shot, i cant do any kind of straight bar curl or skull crushers, french press ect or my elbows will flare up from just a single set of an exercise they dont like and impact the rest of my training, this is due to the damage being done and their overall tolerance to certain movements being extremely low

I swapped to dumbells about a year ago as I train at home and it saved unpacking the rack. Just unfold my bench grab a couple dumbells and crack on. So lots of pressing but i think maybe flared the elbows too much. But more than likely caused by lack of warming up. Hitting 50 this year so things are a bit worn. Time is of the essence so it so tempting to just crack on. So I think that is what has happened. I have a bar very similar to the pics above in fact I thought it was some sort of curling bar. Looking forward to trying some new stuff out now.

brilliant  folks 

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

I swapped to dumbells about a year ago as I train at home and it saved unpacking the rack. Just unfold my bench grab a couple dumbells and crack on. So lots of pressing but i think maybe flared the elbows too much. But more than likely caused by lack of warming up. Hitting 50 this year so things are a bit worn. Time is of the essence so it so tempting to just crack on. So I think that is what has happened. I have a bar very similar to the pics above in fact I thought it was some sort of curling bar. Looking forward to trying some new stuff out now.

brilliant  folks 

Do you do much rear delt work? @BLUE(UK) gave me some good advice on fixing my shoulders by concentrating on rear delts (face pulls etc) to repair the impingement where pressing more than doing rear work resulted in one side of the shoulder becoming a lot stronger than the other and causing this pain

I dropped pressing for a while and started doing a lot more rear delt work, definitely appears to be repairing itself as the weeks go on

34 minutes ago, Cypionate said:

Do you do much rear delt work? @BLUE(UK) gave me some good advice on fixing my shoulders by concentrating on rear delts (face pulls etc) to repair the impingement where pressing more than doing rear work resulted in one side of the shoulder becoming a lot stronger than the other and causing this pain

I dropped pressing for a while and started doing a lot more rear delt work, definitely appears to be repairing itself as the weeks go on

Consider incorporating TUT(3 sec lower, pause, 3 sec raise)  presses and then over the weeks lower the TUT before trying normal presses. 

4 hours ago, Cypionate said:

Got to admit very little to any. Was sort of hoping the pressing may sort of do the lot lol

15 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Any one got any good news please? Been training about 4 years and things were suddenly going really well. Muscle building and weights going up then bang now got lots of pain in various parts of the shoulder. From what I have read seems to be tendonitis. Have laid off weights for 3 weeks though I did have a little dabble but immediate pain so stopped. Bit of a pisser and I can feel all me hard work slipping away

27 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Got to admit very little to any. Was sort of hoping the pressing may sort of do the lot lol

Lol, depends on how you’re built(genetically). I’m built with big wide shoulders that sit forwards, bench pressing hits my delts quite a bit as soon as I give it aggression(whether it is light or heavy at some point I ‘push hard’ which involves delts). 

26 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Will do thank you. Be nice to get moving again doing any thing

Continue with a bit more break from presses and 3 times a week do face pulls, once with light weight and high reps, heavy and third session TUT. 4 sets and do these before doing anything in the gym so you’re fresh. You could also include rotator cuff work while you won’t be doing any presses. 

After a few weeks do what I said earlier on presses, don’t rush it. 

When pressing, pull delts back and downwards, including on bench press. Don’t take any stimulants on press days until you get rid of this issue and need them to push on.  

Thank me when you realise it works. 

AND CONTINUE WITH THE ADVICE EVEN WHEN IT DOESNT HURT. 

51 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

lol nope it actually makes it worse, and is the cause in the first place, need to build up front middle and rear delts equally to prevent it happening

8 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Lol, depends on how you’re built(genetically). I’m built with big wide shoulders that sit forwards, bench pressing hits my delts quite a bit as soon as I give it aggression(whether it is light or heavy at some point I ‘push hard’ which involves delts). 

Continue with a bit more break from presses and 3 times a week do face pulls, once with light weight and high reps, heavy and third session TUT. 4 sets and do these before doing anything in the gym so you’re fresh. You could also include rotator cuff work while you won’t be doing any presses. 

After a few weeks do what I said earlier on presses, don’t rush it. 

When pressing, pull delts back and downwards, including on bench press. Don’t take any stimulants on press days until you get rid of this issue and need them to push on.  

Thank me when you realise it works. 

AND CONTINUE WITH THE ADVICE EVEN WHEN IT DOESNT HURT. 

100% agree with this , had an op on left shoulder in November, shoulder impingement moved to right shoulder , this told me this was not rotator cuff as every physio would have you believe, I have just found a physio that knows his stuff and basically i overworked my chest compared to back and its inpinging on my shoulder, stopped benching and concentrated mainly on back, 3 weeks in (and as long as i start on my back first to warm it up ) i can now shoulder press and start curling again with very little pain, 

Hope this helps 

https://www.mobilitywod.com/propreview/shoulder-impingement-3-exercises/ 

Just as an update I ended up stopping the weights full stop because no matter what I did the shoulder played up. I think then due to lack of use it got weaker and worse. Any way after about 9 months I could finally sleep on it. So slowly started doing some pull ups laying down under my bench bar and slow built up so I can do some bent over rows,  Started introducing some curls and a few sets of dead lifts. Apart from a minor bit of tenderness it is going well and great to get doing some thing again.  Just concentrating on building up the back and shoulders which is what I should done in the first place and it might not have happened.

I haven't tried any sort of pressing as of yet