Sign in to follow this  
Jaling

Help with Deadlifts

Hey,

everytime I deadlift my lower back slightly rounds, this happens at 60% my max and doesn’t round any further with heavier weights. Even at 95% 1rm.

i know it’s my form, but I just can’t seem to correct it.

i can post a video if it would someone point me in the right direction of proper form.

im really critical of main lifts. I only accept perfection or don’t count the rep.

2 hours ago, swole troll said:

where abouts is your back rounding? provided its not your lumbar area it should be okay (Assuming not excessive) 

post a vid from the side 

I was hoping you’d reply @swole troll

it is my lower back.

the vid below is 100kg, I can get up almost double this with no more rounding. So it’s not strength stopping the lift.

1DD05E49-E2D0-48FD-A772-F9325F683143.MOV

not sure if the attachment  is gonna play...  just tried the link and it wouldn’t for me..

can you let me know if it doesn’t work. Will try sort it

1 hour ago, Jaling said:

I was hoping you’d reply @swole troll

it is my lower back.

the vid below is 100kg, I can get up almost double this with no more rounding. So it’s not strength stopping the lift.

1DD05E49-E2D0-48FD-A772-F9325F683143.MOV

not sure if the attachment  is gonna play...  just tried the link and it wouldn’t for me..

can you let me know if it doesn’t work. Will try sort it

your back is completely flat and if you are feeling no discomfort in it then i see no issue 

you could perhaps drop your hips a touch but this has nothing to do with spinal flexion, just youd probably find you are stronger once used to a slightly lower hip start position 
dont squat it up but at the moment it looks like a hell of a lot of hamstring in that pull albeit sub max 

3 minutes ago, swole troll said:

your back is completely flat and if you are feeling no discomfort in it then i see no issue 

you could perhaps drop your hips a touch but this has nothing to do with spinal flexion, just youd probably find you are stronger once used to a slightly lower hip start position 
dont squat it up but at the moment it looks like a hell of a lot of hamstring in that pull albeit sub max 

So lowering my hips is all you’d suggest from what you could see?

ive been told that if you placed a straight pole down the spinal Collum you should have a slight gap between the pole and lumbar. This is what’s missing.

and yeah. 160 flies up with that exact form. No pain at all.

i do not ever really feel my quads work this lift - would lowering the hips allow for more quad activation ?

thanks

j

11 minutes ago, Jaling said:

So lowering my hips is all you’d suggest from what you could see?

ive been told that if you placed a straight pole down the spinal Collum you should have a slight gap between the pole and lumbar. This is what’s missing.

and yeah. 160 flies up with that exact form. No pain at all.

i do not ever really feel my quads work this lift - would lowering the hips allow for more quad activation ?

thanks

j

your back position is fine 
dont worry about PVC pipes running down your back 

just brace your core and keep a straight back as you are in that video

you can feel when you are getting lumbar rounding and at which point you do not have the strength or neural connection to the lift to be attempting that weight / when you get to a certain level of strength your low back round will be the weakest position you can physically be in from a strength stand point whereas to begin with when you havnt built a great deal of muscle, strength or motor unit recruitment your body when failing will start to round even at the lumber (the more advanced you get this can still happen in your thoracic spine without a great deal of risk of injury) 

yes lower your hips a touch will engage more quad as you break the bar off the floor, at the moment you are all hamstrings off the floor 

just be mindful not to go too far the other way and completely disengage your hams and try to squat the bar off the floor 

10 hours ago, swole troll said:

your back position is fine 
dont worry about PVC pipes running down your back 

just brace your core and keep a straight back as you are in that video

you can feel when you are getting lumbar rounding and at which point you do not have the strength or neural connection to the lift to be attempting that weight / when you get to a certain level of strength your low back round will be the weakest position you can physically be in from a strength stand point whereas to begin with when you havnt built a great deal of muscle, strength or motor unit recruitment your body when failing will start to round even at the lumber (the more advanced you get this can still happen in your thoracic spine without a great deal of risk of injury) 

yes lower your hips a touch will engage more quad as you break the bar off the floor, at the moment you are all hamstrings off the floor 

just be mindful not to go too far the other way and completely disengage your hams and try to squat the bar off the floor 

Looking forward to next weeks session now.

cheers