Eric Helms PhD explains the dos and don'ts of muscle hypertrophy

The video is long, like 45 mins, 

Some guy on Reddit has done a TLDR. 

1)If you are weight or joint maxed on a movement, add in blood flow restriction. It should allow you to lift "less than max" but still get the same hypertrophic effect as it enhances metabolic hypertrophy locally.

2)Heavy lower compound movements in 6-10 range (better accuracy of failure/avoids widow maker pains of huge reps.) Deadlift, Squat

3)Almost any other workout you can do 6-30. Might be good to alternate.

4)Proximity to failure = growth, no struggle no gain. For large compounds stop just shy of failure (for control and to ease metabolic stresses, recovery, etc.) Anything else you can train to failure BUT you don't need to be going to failure on every single movement/for every session.

Key is don't overtrain to the point where you are weak, dead or wrecked by the next session.

It is ok to occasionally push to absolute failure on compounds, to challenge yourself / burn that energy, but this is not the daily goal and should not be every workout.

5) Frequency - hit each muscle group at least twice per week. More is fine but diminishing returns. This is just a way to add volume if your existing workouts are near plateau and you've got the rest dialed in (diet, sleep, technique, etc.)

6) Resting 60-90s for iso 2-3min for compound

If you don't have time for that kind of resting, do 30s rests at same weight and hit the rep target.

5x5 at 3min = 15min rest, or with 30s rest probably more like 5. Hitting he volume is the real goal.

And  some other obviousness stuff like 1g protein per lb, sufficient sleep 7-9hrs, caloric surplus for  growth etc.

So basically nothing new?! That’s pretty much how I eat and train..... now, sleeps never really been an issue for me. 

I wish I knew what I know now years ago. I grew fairly well but by applying the above ive been making very good gains. 

People could learn a lot just by reading the above, never mind watching the video. 

19 hours ago, Sparkey said:

The video is long, like 45 mins, 

Some guy on Reddit has done a TLDR. 

1)If you are weight or joint maxed on a movement, add in blood flow restriction. It should allow you to lift "less than max" but still get the same hypertrophic effect as it enhances metabolic hypertrophy locally.

2)Heavy lower compound movements in 6-10 range (better accuracy of failure/avoids widow maker pains of huge reps.) Deadlift, Squat

3)Almost any other workout you can do 6-30. Might be good to alternate.

4)Proximity to failure = growth, no struggle no gain. For large compounds stop just shy of failure (for control and to ease metabolic stresses, recovery, etc.) Anything else you can train to failure BUT you don't need to be going to failure on every single movement/for every session.

Key is don't overtrain to the point where you are weak, dead or wrecked by the next session.

It is ok to occasionally push to absolute failure on compounds, to challenge yourself / burn that energy, but this is not the daily goal and should not be every workout.

5) Frequency - hit each muscle group at least twice per week. More is fine but diminishing returns. This is just a way to add volume if your existing workouts are near plateau and you've got the rest dialed in (diet, sleep, technique, etc.)

6) Resting 60-90s for iso 2-3min for compound

If you don't have time for that kind of resting, do 30s rests at same weight and hit the rep target.

5x5 at 3min = 15min rest, or with 30s rest probably more like 5. Hitting he volume is the real goal.

And  some other obviousness stuff like 1g protein per lb, sufficient sleep 7-9hrs, caloric surplus for  growth etc.

Wonder why the guy isn't jacked then 

these guys love to dress up the obvious to make them sound like guru's ! lol

I have found, 5-10 reps 2-3 compound/heavier mass lifts per session, with perhaps a deload set in or a drop set after the heavy working set,  all other accessory work 1-2 sets of higher rep work 10-15 reps. I like to throw in muscle rounds, and drop sets  and rest pause time to time to make it interesting and inflict more pain.