DRKE

Wiped out by NoroVirus

I had no idea where to post this. Obviously not an injury but I’ve been savagely hit by a NoroVirus which I couldn’t shake for 8 days. Never had anything like it before in my life.

Biggest problem was food. I went over 2 days without eating and haven’t eaten properly until today. I weighed myself and I’ve lost 4KG. Down to 101KG from 105KG. 

My question, if someone could please help, I’m guessing others have had this frustration before, is when I go back to the gym Tuesday how should I approach this? I’m on a 5x5 plan and at a stage where I am pushing my best on all 4 main compounds. I had been planning to increase all the weights on my last lifts before this happened. 

Should I still do this or should I ease myself back in for the first week and then pick back up? Or lift what I lifted before the bug, effectively holding myself back a week? I’m not sure what to expect really, losing 4KG in just over a week is insane as I’m on a bulking plan. Any guidance appreciated. 

On 03/06/2019 at 2:31 PM, Matt2 said:

Ease yourself back in, reduce weight and if you can handle it increase reps for at least a week.

On 03/06/2019 at 2:56 PM, Endomorph84 said:

Ease yourself back in until energy and glycogen stores are fulfilled. 

I’d keep the workout the same, just reduce the weights by 20%

Thank you both. I found out straight away I couldn’t lift what I had been. Had to drop OHP from 60KG 5x5 to 50KG 3x8 for starters. I’m amazed how much this has affected me, and continues to affect me. 

I went back to trying to eat my 4,400 calories per day but I’m really struggling. I’m constantly feeling sick. Before I started training I used to eat 2,000 a day, I was useless. I started bulking at 3,500 and upped it 300 calories on 3 occasions. Do I need to go back to 3,500 again and move up or should my body adjust to me trying to force down 4,400 per day? I nearly threw up twice today and moved my rest day forward hoping more rest will help me get back.

I've had 2 injuries and this has affected me more than both of them! 

Just eat until full mate, you’ve got years ahead of you. People worry about things and think they’re gonna lose all there strength and muscle. 

Believe me, it all comes back and quickly!!

You don’t have to force feed yourself. However there are things you can do to get as many calories in as you can by making smart choices.

Eat more fats. 

Eat simple carbs (cereals). 

Make shakes with blended oats.

Get your protein by drinking whey. 

Add plenty of jam or peanut butter to toast or crumpets. 

On 05/06/2019 at 7:41 AM, Endomorph84 said:

Just eat until full mate, you’ve got years ahead of you. People worry about things and think they’re gonna lose all there strength and muscle. 

Believe me, it all comes back and quickly!!

You don’t have to force feed yourself. However there are things you can do to get as many calories in as you can by making smart choices.

Eat more fats. 

Eat simple carbs (cereals). 

Make shakes with blended oats.

Get your protein by drinking whey. 

Add plenty of jam or peanut butter to toast or crumpets. 

Thanks mate and you were right! Where I’ve only been going 14 months I’m at that stage where I’ve put a lot of effort in but I’m a long way from my goals, strength and body wise. I kept forcing myself to go back too soon which was just delaying things. 

I took another week off to recover, and didn’t focus on the fact I wasn’t able to go to the gym, and went back Monday this week. Feeling much better and not getting sick during workouts. I’ve dropped 5x5 for more reps for the time being. Got back most of the weight I lost as well. Probably in fat, not muscle but it keeps me happy lol.