Sign in to follow this  
ironmaneye

5k run where to start ?

Right guys. ... I've been thinking about this for a long-time..

I want to work my way up to that. I must admit I'm not a cardio fanatic. I do weights.

My fitness is probably not the greatest but has improved Alot since last year. Still under par though.

So for a complete beginner where's the best place to start? And for those who do weights /bodybuilding how do you incorporate the 2 types of training ?

Thanks

Just run outside at a comfortable pace until you find it hard to breathe and then walk while you catch your breath,  run again.  Aim for 1.5 miles 1st and look to improve slightly on each run,   5K should be achievable within 3 weeks ish.

I'd just go on the treadmill after your training. Start at the slowest speed yo can run before it turns into a walk (about 8kph) once you can do it without stopping for half an hour start putting the speed up.

Newbie gains come fast in cardio. If started similarly, although I've been really fit in my younger years, I don't know if cardio memory is a thing. I was able to continually go faster or further every day until I was at a decent level again. I got down to about 21 mins before I backed of and started concentrating more on weights again.

3 hours ago, Sasnak said:

You don’t need to train to run 3 miles. It’ll probably take you just over half an hour off the bat

Agreed. I started at 42 mins and got it down to 33 mins within a month.

But no matter what I do I can't get it less than 33mins

I found 5k impossible at my heaviest. Shin splints. Breathless.  Slow. I did a marine challenge type thing with some work friends and I was last off the course overall despite looking in the best shape. I even had an old army vet walk/jog with me back to the start while they were packing up. :lol:

Start slow. Get some decent trainers that have your gate taken into account. I started on treadmill facing a mirror as I could focus on my breathing and also watching my titties bounce.

After a while once you're past the stitch stage its just a case of mind over matter. Went on to do a 10k and half marathon in better times than some of those I did the army challenge with. Although ended up about a 1.5 stone lighter too lol.

7 minutes ago, ironmaneye said:

Ta for the advice fellas. 

Empzb  I think I'm going to be like what you described lol. 

Did you run /walk on treadmill? How long for?

As long as you can and then try and better it buddy.

There is practically no planning to be done for 5k. Just try jog slowly and if you get tired continuing walking, start jogging again etc. 

But you must finish the ,5K . It's your times that you want to be focusing on . 

If you were running 10k plus then the approach would be different. 

Unless your an obese slob practically anyone can finish 5k at a walking pace . My 80year father does it regularly 

1 hour ago, ironmaneye said:

Ta for the advice fellas. 

Empzb  I think I'm going to be like what you described lol. 

Did you run /walk on treadmill? How long for?

Start with 1min run and 2-3min walk. Repeat until distance is complete.

Then adjust the variables.

So increase speed but keep the same times.

or keep the same speed and increase run time OR decrease rest.

Eventually you’ll be jogging 5km and then you just up the speed.