Sign in to follow this  
JohhnyC

People who give health advice?

What is with it some people that give health advice and look like s**t themselves?

I know one or two who are afraid of their own shadow and profess about the dangers of just about everything. All sorts of must do things like , bed before 10, never drink diet drinks or you will get cancer, never eat meat than one portion a day, dangers of  drink, eggs will cause high cholesterol etc 

Was talking to a bloke yesterday and had to set him straight  . Told him to have a look on the mirror, late 20s looked 40, zero muscle mass, couldnt climb the stairs without getting tired, has that constant look of worry on his face. Loves going through medical related articles  and eats nuts and rabbit good all day.  Can't work out with every wrist strap , knee pad belt going and this is to fanny about on machines, never free weights, every week seems to sprain something or other. . Never lived a day in his life,  Thing is he looks like he's like a aid suffer which baffles me given to process a healthy lifestyle.

I wanted to help the bloke out so told him that woman think he's a wet fragrant fart and he needs to change otherwise he will never get a date.  

Got me thinking though. I'm convinced the mind is a powerful driver for your life. You think your a dweeb you always  will be . 

2 hours ago, Wheyman said:

only one thing worse than people who give advice is those who complain about people who advice. 

No, it’s people who give advice to people who they don’t like because they give advice.

2 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

What is with it some people that give health advice and look like s**t themselves?

I know one or two who are afraid of their own shadow and profess about the dangers of just about everything. All sorts of must do things like , bed before 10, never drink diet drinks or you will get cancer, never eat meat than one portion a day, dangers of  drink, eggs will cause high cholesterol etc 

Was talking to a bloke yesterday and had to set him straight  . Told him to have a look on the mirror, late 20s looked 40, zero muscle mass, couldnt climb the stairs without getting tired, has that constant look of worry on his face. Loves going through medical related articles  and eats nuts and rabbit good all day.  Can't work out with every wrist strap , knee pad belt going and this is to fanny about on machines, never free weights, every week seems to sprain something or other. . Never lived a day in his life,  Thing is he looks like he's like a aid suffer which baffles me given to process a healthy lifestyle.

I wanted to help the bloke out so told him that woman think he's a wet fragrant fart and he needs to change otherwise he will never get a date.  

Got me thinking though. I'm convinced the mind is a powerful driver for your life. You think your a dweeb you always  will be . 

Sounds like your typical vegan, best to give them a very wide berth or avoid altogether. 

point of my post is two fold

1. Anyone who looks like s**t has no right to give advice demonstrate that their lifestyle choice is the way to go. You need to back it up. Tons of lads here of all ages have proven themselves though so they can back it up  

2. After many years I firmly believe that the right attitude and self confidence is crucial (and a lot of " f**k that attitude" e.g @AncientOldBloke) . Some people just live their lives in fear , it's sad in my view . 

I get criticism nearly every week for my lifestyle choice from these goodytwoshoes Facebook  vegan nerds  yet in far better shape. Many guys on here getting on in years and still in cracking shape

4 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

Maybe that’s the look he strives for?

37 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

point of my post is two fold

1. Anyone who looks like s**t has no right to give advice demonstrate that their lifestyle choice is the way to go. You need to back it up. Tons of lads here of all ages have proven themselves though so they can back it up  

This always makes me laugh, some people can look good without trying very hard(or clueless) yet others can be doing the ‘right thing’ yet still look s**t. Genetics. 

1 hour ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Maybe that’s the look he strives for?

THIS is it exactly - You reap what you sow.

Wanna be a marathon  runner? Train and eat like one.

Wanna be an Olympian? Train, eat, jab, sleep like one. Oh, and pick the right parents.

Wanna be lithe, supple, and bendyflexy? Do yoga.

Me? I'm just happy to look good on the beach and have the cardio capacity for volleyball and it doesn't take more than an hour a day to achieve that. That means I can have the odd unlimited buffet inc processed dessert, the odd G&T, the odd line and I'm happy with that. More effort will result in deprivation and steal the joy from putting in the input. Less effort will result in  a fat blimp who nobody with a decent self-image would want to f**k.

As much as @JohhnyC wants to help the illness and worry-prone wet tissue metro, it's a bitch of a job and, IMO, not worth it UNLESS it's your own son, begat from your own loins. Only THEN there's a need to help him to spin off his genes into perpetuity. Otherwise, live and let die.

(Yes fudmukkers, I'm back. Anxiety can go f**k itself.)

1 minute ago, AncientOldBloke said:

THIS is it exactly - You reap what you sow.

Wanna be a marathon  runner? Train and eat like one. Pick the right parents  

Wanna be an Olympian? Train, eat, jab, sleep like one. Oh, and pick the right parents.

Wanna be lithe, supple, and bendyflexy? Do yoga.

Me? I'm just happy to look good on the beach and have the cardio capacity for volleyball and it doesn't take more than an hour a day to achieve that. That means I can have the odd unlimited buffet inc processed dessert, the odd G&T, the odd line and I'm happy with that. More effort will result in deprivation and steal the joy from putting in the input. Less effort will result in  an sexy blimp who nobody with a decent self-image would want to f**k.

Corrected. All endeavours in life require the right parents if you want to do well. 

yeah but you don't give up right, work with what you got, DNA ain't going to change 

also Its a mind set and attitude towards life, convinced,

I think we live in such a molly coddled society now that everyone is soft as s**t, the minute the have a sniffle they are laid up in bed and dosing up with codeine etc everyone seems to have some mental problem and needs a support group if someone said a nasty word to them. Everyone is a victim

I see my dads generation, beat up old ugly buggers but just got on with it. My old fat gran, poor as could be, was cycling around the village at 96

40 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Corrected. All endeavours in life require the right parents if you want to do well. 

But I must disagree with my learned colleague.

Blind, mute and deaf Helen Keller was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She overcame her genetic "defects" (or used them by supercompensation) and did very well.

Franco Columbu never let his short staure bother him. He did OK.

Plenty of famous composers were disabled from an early age. Despite Aspergers and autism, they created magic.

Overcompensation is where it's at - that's surely the main tenet of progressive overload? Well, that plus a burning desire, ambition,  recklessness and a sense of adventure in following one's dreams. The kid in the OP has none of them.

32 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

I see my dads generation, beat up old ugly buggers but just got on with it. My old fat gran, poor as could be, was cycling around the village at 96

Deaf ears I'm afraid. No lessons will learned by most. Like trying to blow out a light bulb.

Met this 90yr old in rural Turkey on a very narrow mountain road that only one vehicle could pass. Skin sun-dried but fit as f**k. Asked him where he was going in his pick up truck. Says to market cos he needs to buy parts for his diesel generator so if his fridge or internet breaks down, life can go on. He invited me for dinner later, which my current wife and I accepted. His house and family were immaculate. Couldn't detect any issues regarding his family become ill from reading internet articles.

Goddamn motherfucking hero of a dude. Fu**ing proppa manly man. Handles his s**t, looks after his family, has an eye for daily practicality plus is also planning ahead. If I ever grow up, I wanna be HIM. BTW, he never dispensed any heaalth advice, just fed us great food (and crap wine).

Now compare him to the metro in your OP.

5 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

Well, that's what happens when you get aids, you generally start to look shi.te. Don't shoot the messenger. They are just trying to help you from their own experience.

I mentioned the other day in another thread about the fat old guy at my gym who constantly dishes out advice to everyone.  I swear he has nothing better to do, just waits around the gym for the next victim to bore to death.

4 minutes ago, ThatsLife said:

I mentioned the other day in another thread about the fat old guy at my gym who constantly dishes out advice to everyone.  I swear he has nothing better to do, just waits around the gym for the next victim to bore to death.

Look man, I already apologised profusely!

Whaddya want, a signed and attested-by-a-Notary-public  further apology?

33 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

yeah but you don't give up right, work with what you got, DNA ain't going to change 

also Its a mind set and attitude towards life, convinced,

I think we live in such a molly coddled society now that everyone is soft as s**t, the minute the have a sniffle they are laid up in bed and dosing up with codeine etc everyone seems to have some mental problem and needs a support group if someone said a nasty word to them. Everyone is a victim

23 minutes ago, AncientOldBloke said:

But I must disagree with my learned colleague.

Blind, mute and deaf Helen Keller was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She overcame her genetic "defects" (or used them by supercompensation) and did very well.

Franco Columbu never let his short staure bother him. He did OK.

Plenty of famous composers were disabled from an early age.

Overcompensation is where it's at - that's surely the main tenet of progressive overload? Well, that plus a burning desire, ambition,  recklessness and a sense of adventure in following one's dreams. The kid in the OP has none of them.

agreed, people have never had it so good and all they aspire to be in life is a victim.

Hard times create strong men.

Strong men create good times. 

Good times create weak men.

And, weak men create hard times.

Just now, ILLBehaviour said:

Hard times create strong men.

Strong men create good times. 

Good times create weak men.

And, weak men create hard times.

5. It's a fact of life - some people fall by the wayside.

But that's OK, the state will keep them alive.

2 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

This always makes me laugh, some people can look good without trying very hard(or clueless) yet others can be doing the ‘right thing’ yet still look s**t. Genetics. 

Got to hate those ones with good genetics lol. My mate is a good example, ain't trained for years just got back in to it. Hes training twice a week, using 100mg of var a day and looks like he's been training for years and in better shape than 90% of the gym that trains daily whilst using stupid amount of gear

One of the guys at the gym I talk to is into "functional training" and always says things like "you should train with me once a week or whatever, improve your functionality, all the bodybuilding isn't good for it". I swear once a month the fucker has some sort of minor injury, sprained this, tweaked that etc. I've never had an injury in my whole 6.5 years of training so far, not even from doing activities and sports outside of lifting despite that fact that I'm apparently so unfunctional...

Worked with a guy who was around 130kg of pure fat.. 

Wouldn't stop talking about his personal trainer, and his diet, "I only eat meat and salad"...

Meanwhile he was always buying a candy bar when I went to get water..  He brought 2 big boxes of donuts for his birthday (office culture is so depressing...), and ended up eating an entire box himself.  I was next to him, he was out of breath just sitting there at his computer, and would reach into the box and grab a donut every few minutes until it was empty.

3 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

The minute the have a sniffle they are laid up in bed and dosing up with codeine etc

Even worse than that tbh. GP surgeries are so overrun because they're full up with people with viral illnesses and they think the doc has some magic cure. You hear people say s**t like "I can't get an appointment at my doctor's for 2 weeks, I'll be better by then!" - right. Maybe stop bothering them with your inconsequential ailment and clogging up appointments, then? Probably another 200 people like them taking up all the appointments and people that really need seeing to about long term conditions have to wait. Just go home, chill, put some nutrients in yourself and let your antibodies do their work.