Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
james90

PT Career?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, wylde99 said:

What is up "Personal Trainers" who look they need a Trainer?? 

I see them everywhere, and I dont get it at all, to be fair most of their clients are elderly, as surely you have to look decent so clients will want you to train them, most I see are Skinny, Far, Skinny fat ect..or just look like they train casually or play Football

Plenty of chefs are skinny doesn’t mean their food is rubbish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, wylde99 said:

What is up "Personal Trainers" who look they need a Trainer?? 

I see them everywhere, and I dont get it at all, to be fair most of their clients are elderly, as surely you have to look decent so clients will want you to train them, most I see are Skinny, Far, Skinny fat ect..or just look like they train casually or play Football

Don't know what you mean

Image result for jd gym derby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to Covid completely halting my industry/career/earnings. I’ve been looking into becoming a PT lately and doing the L2 and L3 courses, been researching  insight/opinion....(its something Ive thought about for awhile as it’s something I genuinely think I’d enjoy but I question if it’s a good choice and to make enough money to live on.)
 

just wondering What’s the salary? In regards to the standard “12 hour in a gym” contract you where you clean/questions from members/group sessions....... then rest of the time you’re self employed and responsible for your own earnings/work ethic. 

Is weekly rent to a gym standard and are the costs excessive? Are the only winners the gym franchise and they’re taking the piss or can a self employed PT have a good career? 
 

appreciate any feedback on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2019 at 5:12 PM, cinosartlU said:

Being passionate about fitness and living the fit lifestyle is an amazing accomplishment in itself. So I find it great that you want to take that passion to the next level and help others live fit! :thumb

The simplest way to become a personal trainer is to purchase a certain organization's fitness manual, study independently, and take an exam. It is possible to get most certifications in this manner. In addition to the manual itself, there are often study guides, seminars, and practice tests available from the organization.

Some colleges also offer courses where you can study and take exams to become a personal trainer. Upon hiring, some gyms will take you through their own certification courses, which are often weekend classes or seminars.

Benefits:

You get paid to do what you love

You can help change people's lives - It can be very rewarding to see the positive changes in clients.

Possibility of flexible hours, making your own schedule:

Downfalls:

Only getting paid when you have clients:

Limited income:

Long-term security - Clients will often desire young, fit people as their personal trainers.

That is the gayest thing I’ve ever read.

If you want to be forever poor, crack on mate...... as long as you’re happy, that’s the main thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2019 at 5:12 PM, cinosartlU said:

Being passionate about fitness and living the fit lifestyle is an amazing accomplishment in itself. So I find it great that you want to take that passion to the next level and help others live fit! :thumb

The simplest way to become a personal trainer is to purchase a certain organization's fitness manual, study independently, and take an exam. It is possible to get most certifications in this manner. In addition to the manual itself, there are often study guides, seminars, and practice tests available from the organization.

Some colleges also offer courses where you can study and take exams to become a personal trainer. Upon hiring, some gyms will take you through their own certification courses, which are often weekend classes or seminars.

Benefits:

You get paid to do what you love - just not very much and not very often 

You can help change people's lives - It can be very rewarding to see the positive changes in clients - They go from very obese to pretty obese

Possibility of flexible hours, making your own schedule - means you can go home in between lack of clients and beat off to pornhub ‘Bitches with hairy assholes’ section

Downfalls:

Being too knackered to perform your own training as you’ve been picking up weights left on the floor by lazy fcuking cretins.....like the ones that frequent UKM. Seriously, you’ll struggle to find motivation for your own training.
 

You feel demotivated seeing some chubster client who keeps coming back claiming they’ve stuck to  your diet plan but being 9lbs heavier in 4 weeks says different. 
 

Needy clients texting you constantly (Now they have your mobile number) with un-funny gifs and memes thinking you’re now bezzies. 
 

Having to wait 7 hours in between a client. Works out you’re earning £4 per hour over the days 2 clients.

 

 

While I appreciate your positive feedback and effort in writing what you’ve written, I’ve added a twist to the downfalls. Just a bit of fun bro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Due to Covid completely halting my industry/career/earnings. I’ve been looking into becoming a PT lately and doing the L2 and L3 courses, been researching  insight/opinion....(its something Ive thought about for awhile as it’s something I genuinely think I’d enjoy but I question if it’s a good choice and to make enough money to live on.)
 

just wondering What’s the salary? In regards to the standard “12 hour in a gym” contract you where you clean/questions from members/group sessions....... then rest of the time you’re self employed and responsible for your own earnings/work ethic. 

Is weekly rent to a gym standard and are the costs excessive? Are the only winners the gym franchise and they’re taking the piss or can a self employed PT have a good career? 
 

appreciate any feedback on this. 

Salaries for general gym staff in a branded gym is £16-£20k depending on location and brand.

PTs are not salaried unless David Lloyd’s or VA.

PT rent ranges from £250-£1500. Gymbox, white city, London, is the top end of that.

Some clubs do no rent in exchange for hours or classes. We do that.

To be successful long term you need to be resilient, personable, able to sell and able to achieve results. If you can’t walk down the street, generate a lead that results in a membership sale, you probably won’t be able to convert existing members to paid clients. 
 

Most fail within 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bensif said:

Salaries for general gym staff in a branded gym is £16-£20k depending on location and brand.

PTs are not salaried unless David Lloyd’s or VA.

PT rent ranges from £250-£1500. Gymbox, white city, London, is the top end of that.

Some clubs do no rent in exchange for hours or classes. We do that.

To be successful long term you need to be resilient, personable, able to sell and able to achieve results. If you can’t walk down the street, generate a lead that results in a membership sale, you probably won’t be able to convert existing members to paid clients. 
 

Most fail within 6 months.

Thanks for the reply and insight. That’s helpful. appreciate it. 

16-20k for a 12 hour gym contract?  That’s not too bad..

Im self employed Now and built up a career from scratch before Covid so have no doubts in transferring that same mindset Etc to another industry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

I would assume that a 40 hour week.

Makes more sense. Most job postings I see or PTs I know of, they work on a 12-15 hour contract and do general gym duties/couple group sessions. rest of the time they’re free to do their own PT stuff and I wonder how much that is salaried.   Not sure 40 hour contract is all that common, but maybe it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pez189 said:

Thanks for the reply and insight. That’s helpful. appreciate it. 

16-20k for a 12 hour gym contract?  That’s not too bad..

Im self employed Now and built up a career from scratch before Covid so have no doubts in transferring that same mindset Etc to another industry. 

Sorry no, 40 hour week. I don’t know many places that do a 12 hour, usually it’s variable at £8 per hour. In London you can charge £25-£45 as an average band, per hour as a PT. if you are sought after or specialise, more.

Where are you based?

Looking the part also helps, but being personable is more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bensif said:

Sorry no, 40 hour week. I don’t know many places that do a 12 hour, usually it’s variable at £8 per hour. In London you can charge £25-£45 as an average band, per hour as a PT. if you are sought after or specialise, more.

Where are you based?

Looking the part also helps, but being personable is more important.

I’m based in London. 

looking the part does help I’m sure but based on the PTs I’ve seen, Not always essential lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pez189 said:

I’m based in London. 

looking the part does help I’m sure but based on the PTs I’ve seen, Not always essential lol. 

I own a club in west london. If you want any advice or help, feel free to PM me and pop down. I can put you in touch with people who can offer you Unbiased advice, so at least you can make an informed decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bensif said:

I own a club in west london. If you want any advice or help, feel free to PM me and pop down. I can put you in touch with people who can offer you Unbiased advice, so at least you can make an informed decision.

This. Its annoying creating a thread where half the plebs who chime in have no personal experience. Just like half the skin heads know everything there is "not" to go through with a HT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it funny how most PTs you see in gyms look far less than desirable... when I used to go to puregym there was a female PT and she was in much worse shape than the women she was coaching...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't work at a commercial gym. It's very hard to make any money at a commercial gym. Find a  studio or good small independent gym where you just pay rent.

Charge a lot. People often assume that being cheap will attract more people, but all it does is attract people who can't afford PT and puts off people with money.

You can make money as a PT. I charge £45 a session or £400 for 10 sessions. I pay £450 a month rent (£5400 a year).  I'm down to 13 hours a week right now which isn't good, but not bad considering gyms are shut. If I only do 13 hours for a year I would earn £21,640 after paying my rent. That goes up to £362000 if I do20 hours. £57000 a year if doing 30 hours. £67400 if you're doing 35 hours.

The main thing I like about the job is it doesn't feel like work. It's a fun job and I never dread going to work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Adams said:

I never dread going to work.

 

C’mon - NEVER? - morning breath, BO, protein farts? BBW/PAWGs with fishy fannies..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a WhatsApp group get the clients to buy your own brand supps and pre-prepped meals. Sort out challenges for them to complete. There is probably more to it..

I only discovered this through two people I know of. They do one or both of the above and seem to be doing well cos the guys I know are spending a mini fortune on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

While I appreciate your positive feedback and effort in writing what you’ve written, I’ve added a twist to the downfalls. Just a bit of fun bro. 

You little tike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chris Adams said:

I wouldn't work at a commercial gym. It's very hard to make any money at a commercial gym. Find a  studio or good small independent gym where you just pay rent.

Charge a lot. People often assume that being cheap will attract more people, but all it does is attract people who can't afford PT and puts off people with money.

You can make money as a PT. I charge £45 a session or £400 for 10 sessions. I pay £450 a month rent (£5400 a year).  I'm down to 13 hours a week right now which isn't good, but not bad considering gyms are shut. If I only do 13 hours for a year I would earn £21,640 after paying my rent. That goes up to £362000 if I do20 hours. £57000 a year if doing 30 hours. £67400 if you're doing 35 hours.

The main thing I like about the job is it doesn't feel like work. It's a fun job and I never dread going to work.

 

.....which is actually quite good BUT how many of the PT’s are doing 1800 hours each year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, js77 said:

.....which is actually quite good BUT how many of the PT’s are doing 1800 hours each year?

Well The ones earning good money probably? I mean the more hours you put in = the more money you make. That’s understandable. I guess the issue is finding and maintaining clients years round to keep a stable income. 
 

thanks for the insight and feedback above. It’s really helpful. And thanks @Bensif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, js77 said:

.....which is actually quite good BUT how many of the PT’s are doing 1800 hours each year?

Two Pt's at my gym were doing 45 hours a week. They have cut down a bit now to have a better work-life balance.  I've only been doing this since January 2019 and was doing 20 hours before lockdown. You shouldn't expect massive wages at the start as it takes time to build up, but it's certainly possible.

The problem is most PT's are awful and don't know anything about business. You don't make money from kids wanting to bulk up, bodybuilding, powerlifting  etc. I have a lot of older clients,  people with lots of health issues and  people with old injuries that need rehabbing.  I only have one kid who has similar training goals to myself (being big and strong). Most PT's only know how to work people hard and expect to train people with similar goals to themselves.

Also, how you look has very little to do with how much money you can make. You need to be in shape, but being  16 stone and ripped is likely to put off more people than it attracts. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris Adams said:

Two Pt's at my gym were doing 45 hours a week. They have cut down a bit now to have a better work-life balance.  I've only been doing this since January 2019 and was doing 20 hours before lockdown. You shouldn't expect massive wages at the start as it takes time to build up, but it's certainly possible.

The problem is most PT's are awful and don't know anything about business. You don't make money from kids wanting to bulk up, bodybuilding, powerlifting  etc. I have a lot of older clients,  people with lots of health issues and  people with old injuries that need rehabbing.  I only have one kid who has similar training goals to myself (being big and strong). Most PT's only know how to work people hard and expect to train people with similar goals to themselves.

Also, how you look has very little to do with how much money you can make. You need to be in shape, but being  16 stone and ripped is likely to put off more people than it attracts

 

Well Ryan Terry is a little over 15 stone and probably has one of the best physiques in the sport in terms of shape, symmetry and conditioning.

I've never seen one "casual" PT among  those that are earning a semi decent wage, have a physique that I'd consider impressive or aspire to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cronus said:

Well Ryan Terry is a little over 15 stone and probably has one of the best physiques in the sport in terms of shape, symmetry and conditioning.

I've never seen one "casual" PT among  those that are earning a semi decent wage, have a physique that I'd consider impressive or aspire to

Never heard of him, to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only know a handful of people working as PTs and their either rent a unit to run their own gyms, or do that park fit/boot camp stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×