UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Do you get annoyed when people approach you at the Gym and ask for training tips?

980 views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  Matt6210 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Usually I don't. I especially don't mind when a younger person has questions or needs advice. All too often you see people at Gyms lifting incorrectly or just look lost. When I first started lifting, I had older guys at my gym helping me out and giving me advice and it was much appreciated. I have no problem returning the favor. However, if someone just wants to come up and talk to me about nonsense, then I have no patience for that. All too often people use the Gym as social hour instead of its intended purpose, and no headphones or iPod can keep them away.

#6 ·
Most annoying people in my gym are the old guys who always say 'I used to be in shape like you' or the young lads who ask about steroids and say 'but I don't want to get too big, know what i mean?'

I train in a chain commercial gym and even though im not big in bodybuilding terms im probably the 3rd biggest guy in there, quite depressing really just wish there was a more serious gym closer by

#9 ·
All I do Is try to correct people's form, but I don't tell them I lead by example, I train Dorian Yates style in terms of slow movement and a pause at the static movement, so often there are a group of lads near me curling 2 or 3 times my Weight but swinging and using momenmtum.

I purposely stand near them with much less weight and lift it properly with good form and I usually look better then most with bad form so hopefully they take notice and realise they can get much more out of their workouts.

#10 ·
All I do Is try to correct people's form, but I don't tell them I lead by example, I train Dorian Yates style in terms of slow movement and a pause at the static movement, so often there are a group of lads near me curling 2 or 3 times my Weight but swinging and using momenmtum.

I purposely stand near them with much less weight and lift it properly with good form and I usually look better then most with bad form so hopefully they take notice and realise they can get much more out of their workouts.
the silent coach

you go girl

#21 ·
Completely fine with helping people out and giving training tips. I'm guilty of the occasional pointless short conversation but generally keep it to before training or after, otherwise it's training time! pointless conversations and random stuff is what the front desk is for... leaning on and chatting s**t

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
I train at home these days and have done for many years. When I was younger though and used to train in gyms, I used to think it was great to have a young lass or a couple of them come and ask for advice on training and I would be as helpful as I could possibly be. If a young lad came up though I'd immediately point him in the direction of the owner and carry on training...

#32 ·
Usually in the gym people did stop and stare at me and obviously was debating in their brain if a strength trainers looks was between 3.3333 or 6.33333, nowadays I get fitness instructers telling me that my form is incorrect in regards to using an rounded upper back and decreasing the ROM on deadlift..... can anyone help?

#33 ·
Now that I think about it I do get asked by women but not at the gym

conversation goes sth like this

- so you work out ?

- yes

- what do you do ?

- mainly weights

- ooooh I can't do weights, I 'll get too big

- why do you think that ? You used to train?

- no , but I know I will . I played basketball in 8th grade and my back got big

:confused1:

#34 ·
Now that I think about it I do get asked by women but not at the gym

conversation goes sth like this

- so you work out ?

- yes

- what do you do ?

- mainly weights

- ooooh I can't do weights, I 'll get too big

- why do you think that ? You used to train?

- no , but I know I will . I played basketball in 8th grade and my back got big

:confused1:
All dem slam dunks innit?

#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't interact anymore in the gym in these days, nothing other than how many sets you got left and, then I'll jump in (if the answer is something above 2 sets)

Never enjoyed the gym better.

I love to not talk to anyone at the gym, I have my music on and people leave me alone as I clearly don't want/need any contact with anyone.

And the place is an oasis of peace even when it's full.

Just me, the weighs and my music, everything else doesn't exist with the only exception of the gf when she is there too at the same time but she doesn't like to talk at the gym either so that's perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.