AncientOldBloke

Longest time off gym?

11 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

It's a strange thing, I remember wanting to go travelling but I wouldn't do it because "oh no what about my gainz and where do i get protein powder and tren on the road"

Same mate, I would only look at a hotel that has a decent gym (which is a rare find), bringing protein powders with me always.  Caused argument with the girl at the time. 

I think you have to go through it though to realise that it's not your life and just a hobby, and as such needs to bring enjoyment not  ballache. If it's starting to effect your personal life it's time to take stock as the older you get you realise it's going downhill gradually. 

At 45 I know my best gym days are behind me unless I really geared up. 

25 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

It's a strange thing, I remember wanting to go travelling but I wouldn't do it because "oh no what about my gainz and where do i get protein powder and tren on the road"

None of it really matters at the end.  Nobody cares about your gainz but you.  Ill get it all back though, just have other things to do atm...

More often than not, I reduce my muscle mass before holidays as muscle isn’t ideal for what I do, either walking or dirtbiking. During dirtbike trips, I have to shovel as much food in early for breakfast then ride, riding is like all day cardio, maybe grab a bit of food from a fuel station and continue riding. Be lucky to eat about 8pm which isn’t easy as so exhausted sometimes. Then repeat next day. A 3 week trip does get easier after a few days as your body levels become better but then after the trip, it’s a week before I hit the gym usually. 

A regular travelling trip would be easy in comparison.  

10 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

I used to train jujitsu in a gym that was 30-35 degrees in the summer.  Instructor wouldn't let us turn on AC or fans, he said you don't get to turn on AC in a real fight, learn to train the way it's gonna be in real life.

In real life you won’t be warmed up nor wearing a GI, nor will your opponents. The door training we did would be in normal clothing to keep it realistic. 

2 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

I used to train jujitsu in a gym that was 30-35 degrees in the summer.  Instructor wouldn't let us turn on AC or fans, he said you don't get to turn on AC in a real fight, learn to train the way it's gonna be in real life.

I agree with his mentality. winners make things hard for themselves, the weak & lazy will always pursue comfortable options. that’s not how anyone truly grows & prospers. however the point I made previously is that some training enthusiasts are really accustom to training in such climate and it’s admirable to say the least because everythings twice as hard.

2 hours ago, Pscarb said:

longest time was 2yrs lost 75lbs of muscle and 80% of my strength

How did this affect you mentally? was you as devastated as you imagined you would be? hope your well. 

Gave up training for over year or so when 18 got a car and preferred driving around till yon time in the morning, met a lass and did more of the same pointless s**t. Started training again at 19 and being young at the time soon got back into it.

had a few weeks off when had surgery that required full abdominal incision went skinny in literally 2 weeks, was supposed to lift nothing for 6 weeks or so but started light workouts after a few weeks got a bollocking off the stoma nurse when the wench told her what I’d been doing. For some reason appetite was insane after the op so as soon as could train properly soon gained the weight back and more.

otherwise generally don’t stop as it’s my only real hobby and and it keeps me off the drink at weekends knowing I train the next day

Calum Von Moger got injured and didn't train his upper body properly for like a year, shrunk down to looking natty.

8LnIW8o.jpg

He's been back in training for 2 months now, still got a long way to go until he's back to his biggest but the growth already has been incredible.

About 18 months, hit a real depression spot in my life, no idea were it came from. Pretty much have the perfect life (minus the millions).

gained a load of weight, lost an incredible amount of strength, nearly topped myself.

then something just clicked again, back training 2 months, weights dropping nicely (not even started dieting tbh) and I’m back to routine. Muscle memory is so very real, lifts went up surprisingly fast. Time to crack on 

16 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

Same mate, I would only look at a hotel that has a decent gym (which is a rare find), bringing protein powders with me always.  Caused argument with the girl at the time. 

I think you have to go through it though to realise that it's not your life and just a hobby, and as such needs to bring enjoyment not  ballache. If it's starting to effect your personal life it's time to take stock as the older you get you realise it's going downhill gradually. 

At 45 I know my best gym days are behind me unless I really geared up. 

Good attitude, I like it.

14 hours ago, Pancake' said:

How did this affect you mentally? was you as devastated as you imagined you would be? hope your well. 

i have severe PTSD, Depression and PSS (Post Sepsis Syndrome) the mental side is kicking my ass still.........but i am better than what i was and that is the positive point......

57 minutes ago, Pscarb said:

i have severe PTSD, Depression and PSS (Post Sepsis Syndrome) the mental side is kicking my ass still.........but i am better than what i was and that is the positive point......

A huge positive point. :thumbup1:

I’m due to get an operation in June which requires no training for 8weeks. Not looking forward to it tbh. 

I’ll be busting my balls from Monday til operation to lean up and get as much lbm as possible before then. 

Then run TRT / hgh post recovery. 

Many other tips on how to hold onto size when going through recovery. 

It’s a hernia op btw so nothing that requires core work. (Basically everything ffs) 

With me it's more consiticney that's the issue, I haven't gone more then about 7-10 days without stepping into the Gym for the last 2 Years, but until just before Christmas I was going 4-5 times a week training very hard but recently I've been skipping Workouts and not going for 3-4days and when I go working hard but only for 30-40 minuits.

Can see my body doesn't look as good as before Christmas as consitencey is everything.

19 hours ago, herc said:

I’m due to get an operation in June which requires no training for 8weeks. Not looking forward to it tbh. 

I’ll be busting my balls from Monday til operation to lean up and get as much lbm as possible before then. 

Then run TRT / hgh post recovery. 

Many other tips on how to hold onto size when going through recovery. 

It’s a hernia op btw so nothing that requires core work. (Basically everything ffs) 

your not going to gain much before June to be fair, and what you lose will be very small in the grand scheme of things, i was off for 6 weeks when i had my umbilical hernia done, just eat at maintenance and you will be fine

I always find a holiday in the sun motivates me. Might seem a bit narcissistic but it keeps you on track . I'm booking holidays to Philippines for September and while I'm in ok shape gives me loads to time to gradually slowly build up and  cut back to sub 15% . I hate hard bulk and cut now, no motivation for it but few hundred Cal's over or under is a synch coupled with weekly cardio. 

I had about 6 months off due to a major operation a few years ago. It was hard for the first few weeks but after I while I just got used to it... it actually became quite liberating not to have to think about food and gym every day and I ended up having a lot more headspace for other goals

1 hour ago, Pscarb said:

your not going to gain much before June to be fair, and what you lose will be very small in the grand scheme of things, i was off for 6 weeks when i had my umbilical hernia done, just eat at maintenance and you will be fine

Thanks Paul. 

Sorry should have said I’m just out of recovery from damaged rotator cuff/bicep tendon and broken finger.. 

what I want to grin is where I was before Christmas when u got injured. I was off 5weeks upper body and are shite in that time frame. 

Ps mine is umbilical hernia also. In those 6weeks you were off what did you do. Just cardio?  I’m going to run TRT and low dose of hgh 

Any tips would be great pal 

Thanks

3 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

I always find a holiday in the sun motivates me. Might seem a bit narcissistic but it keeps you on track . I'm booking holidays to Philippines for September and while I'm in ok shape gives me loads to time to gradually slowly build up and  cut back to sub 15% . I hate hard bulk and cut now, no motivation for it but few hundred Cal's over or under is a synch coupled with weekly cardio. 

My training and food is based around my holiday dates.

Careful not to peak too early. I always make that mistake. 

7 week left to Phuket. Time to lower the carbs and add in winnie.

I'll fill out over there within two days.

1 minute ago, AncientOldBloke said:

My training and food is based around my holiday dates.

Careful not to peak too early. I always make that mistake. 

7 week left to Phuket. Time to lower the carbs and add in winnie.

It's the cut that always takes me longer

1. as it all seems to tits up the nearer you get to 10%. I end up in no man's land. I know I'm too lazy about diet.

2. I hate cutting, love stuffing my face (no homo) 

Been thinking about phuket actually but learning towards Boracay , Philippines . Either way I think it will be raining everywhere in South Pacific

It's been just under 2 years for me.  not gonna make any excuses...been suffering from lazy-i-tess  but absolutely loved  spending evenings with the kids and missus...love handles have inscreased a little bit in size, legs have shrunk, overall, not looking great but looking to start 3-4 times a week from June....

5 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

It's the cut that always takes me longer

1. as it all seems to tits up the nearer you get to 10%. I end up in no man's land. I know I'm too lazy about diet.

2. I hate cutting, love stuffing my face (no homo) 

Been thinking about phuket actually but learning towards Boracay , Philippines . Either way I think it will be raining everywhere in South Pacific

1. Are we separated twins?

2. Are we separated twins?

I'll be stone cold sober, my first sober hol in years. I'll feel the weather whatever it may be and just enjoy it. I'll street food only and be out as much as possible.