Liamcab

Creatine and 20% body fat

Hi all.

Ive been training now for about 8 weeks, and now getting into the swing of things after a few PT sessions and encouragement from some gym buddies (who are also new to it).

I am currently at about 18-20% body fat, and working to decrease this steadily along the way. Eating better and committed to the lifestyle change.

Ive seen comments regarding the water weight gained from creatine. Now I understand why this happens, but given my 18-20% BF would this exagerate my already lack of physique if I were to include the supplement?

Essentially I want to look better long term, and lose fat. But I am concerned that already being higher BF% this may make me look worse for a while.

Appreciate any thoughts.

That's the perils of Creatine. I take it during the rugby season as it puts an extra 5kg so of weight on me, the water weight is noticeable.

Creatine pros - Fantastic strength gains for what it is, especially if you're natural. Increased cognitive enhancement. Aids recovery. Increase MPS. Maximises energy output and reduces fatigue.

Creatine cons - Significant water retention.

There's only one way to find out mate. It takes around 3 weeks to lose the water weight for me after I stop taking it.

Creatine doesn't cause water retention for me really. Supplement with 3-5g everyday whenever you want, that's enough to saturate muscles.

Using more than 5g I could see potential bloat or stomach issues occurring, no need to use more than 5g. 

I usually see a few extra pounds on the scale.

Given the affordability of the supplement I will give it a go for a while, if it doesnt work out it's easy enough to stop.

Really appreciate you both posting up, so thanks!

On 26/04/2019 at 2:33 PM, AestheticManlet said:

Creatine doesn't cause water retention for me really. Supplement with 3-5g everyday whenever you want, that's enough to saturate muscles.

Using more than 5g I could see potential bloat or stomach issues occurring, no need to use more than 5g. 

I usually see a few extra pounds on the scale.

pretty much the same, 

I don't get bloat. In any case whey will out do any bloat from creatine . I wouldn't really call it 'bloat' though like with 'bloat' from whey. That seems to concentrate around the gut which is a a bit annoying but creatine makes muscles look a little fuller , doesn't bloat out my stomach not that i notice

all in all the benefits outweigh the cons for me with creatine   

at OP

the effect from creatine is still pretty minor, it's nothing to really worry about, just work on getting BF down. As you just starting out your body will recomp well so just do what your doing if its working.