gazd83

HIIT vs LISS

I appreciate this may have been done to death but, I want to introduce some form of cardio to my weight routine but I’m totally torn between hiit and liss. 

I’ll be working out faster in the AM, adding cardio after the weights session. Thinking that perhaps hiit sprints or rowing may be the best bet, but concerned about higher chance of injuries, and also the fact that I get so knacked, in the past I’ve found excuses to skip it. 

So would some treadmill incline walking or stepper machine be any good? 

Only other cardio is carrying clubs round the golf course. Works out about a 10km walk with a bag on your back, Apple Watch estimates 1500-1900 calories burned whilst playing when monitoring heart rate etc. 

Combining all of the above with 1700 calorie intake per day. 

On 22/04/2019 at 9:08 PM, Sasnak said:

Always done hiit. Never sustained any type of injury.

Edit - and that’s at almost 46 years old

Is HIIT not a lot more taxing and can't be done as often. When i used my rower a lot for instance combined with dead-lifts and squats my lower back had no time to recover. I like my eleptical / cross trainer now instead of my concept 2 rower. My reasons are simple it is not too hard so it does not make for more muscle damage and my body can recover. Now doing 25 (going to 30 soon more a mental then a physical thing) minutes workouts in the morning and doing my weights in the afternoon or evening (depending on my work got a gym at home and work from home). 

Still I am going to try to add some rowing HIIT but am worried that it might all become to much. I had much problems recovering from all my hard training and even went down in weight i could lift (sign of over training or under eating). So I am always a bit concerned about recovery especially in a cut. 

But right now not doing the cardio to cut fat or anything just for the heart and other benefits.

On 22/04/2019 at 8:46 AM, gazd83 said:

So would some treadmill incline walking or stepper machine be any good? 

Stair steppers brutal mate, its not often I see anybody stick it out for 20 mins plus. People over estimate that machine 100%. 

Best way to do cardio for me is to do by how much time you have. Like you, I train fasted in the morning. 

If I have less than 15 mins then I’ll do a HIIT Tabatta workout with kettle bells & battle ropes or do sprints in the treadmill. 

20 mins or so then I’ll use the stair stepper. 

30 mins + then I’ll either ride a stationary bike or walk on a treadmill with a slight incline and I enjoy it. 

5 hours ago, Dutchguy_Asia said:

Is HIIT not a lot more taxing and can't be done as often.

What a strange post above. I get the reasoning for what you say. But as your post finally points out, it’s person dependant. Food, rest and drugs play a massive part.  

Leta look at the bigger picture..... If HIIT was taxing and can’t be done as often then CrossFit wouldn’t even exist and they wouldn’t be deemed the fittest people on earth now would they?! 

6 hours ago, Dutchguy_Asia said:

Is HIIT not a lot more taxing and can't be done as often

I don’t find hiit taxing as such. I need a day to recover from say an upper session and ideally do hiit on a non lifting day. Unfortunately there is only so much time with work and family commitments so I often do cardio on the same day. If I had more time I’d do upper/hiit/lower/hiit 6 days a week 

2 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

What a strange post above. I get the reasoning for what you say. But as your post finally points out, it’s person dependant. Food, rest and drugs play a massive part.  

Leta look at the bigger picture..... If HIIT was taxing and can’t be done as often then CrossFit wouldn’t even exist and they wouldn’t be deemed the fittest people on earth now would they?! 

I just am a bit more worried about recovery as I have hit the wall a few times recently. Not recovering enough. Normal cardio does not really affect my recovery so i can do it often and get the benefits (heart health stamina ect not fat loss diet is king for fat loss). I was considering doing HIIT again on my rowing machine just worried a bit about recovery. I think recovery is an important issue and should be looked at. 

Cross fit is not for everyone and yes they do a lot of HIIT but i doubt they all can do it right of the bat they need to build it up slow too as not to burn out. Just my opinion of course. Plus im 45 so recovery even on TRT and peptides is not that great especially during a weight loss phase. 

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

I don’t find hiit taxing as such. I need a day to recover from say an upper session and ideally do hiit on a non lifting day. Unfortunately there is only so much time with work and family commitments so I often do cardio on the same day. If I had more time I’d do upper/hiit/lower/hiit 6 days a week 

I think it also depends on what kind of HIIT and the rest of your program. I got into trouble with my lower back as i did  a lot of squat and deadlift and then the concept 2 rowing for HIIT. After i dropped the rowing things got better. So i guess its personal and depends on the rest of your program.

6 hours ago, Dutchguy_Asia said:

what kind of HIIT

Les mills programs for me. I do them with my wife. It’s definitely exercise for girls but it certainly does what it says on the tin regardless of gender 

On 28/07/2019 at 7:27 AM, Endomorph84 said:

Stair steppers brutal mate, its not often I see anybody stick it out for 20 mins plus. People over estimate that machine 100%. 

Best way to do cardio for me is to do by how much time you have. Like you, I train fasted in the morning. 

If I have less than 15 mins then I’ll do a HIIT Tabatta workout with kettle bells & battle ropes or do sprints in the treadmill. 

20 mins or so then I’ll use the stair stepper. 

30 mins + then I’ll either ride a stationary bike or walk on a treadmill with a slight incline and I enjoy it. 

What incline do you have the treadmill on when you walk I've been getting back pain recently and wondering if the 20 degree incline at 4mph maybe contributing. 

3 minutes ago, B3NCH1 said:

What incline do you have the treadmill on when you walk I've been getting back pain recently and wondering if the 20 degree incline at 4mph maybe contributing. 

about 5-7% I aim to keep my BPM around 125 which is the optimal fat burn zone for me when doing LISS.

I do LISS. it is not slow like a snail pace. I am usually sweating and struggle to hold a conversation.

I believe moderate pace is best for fat loss. 

Diet will be key component for fat loss.