Sign in to follow this  
Frost_uk

Kicking up dumbbells

Anyone got any advice to aid in kicking up dumbbells for shoulder press/incline db press?

I'm struggling and watched a few vids to aid like x-lean athlete or whatever his name is.

I perch the dumbbells on the knee when seated and try use my calf to get it flying up to shoulders.... but was trying with 30kg dumbbell and kept failing... can do it okish with 25kg.... getting frustrating as I can press more but getting the dumbbells up to start is hindering me.

Please help as I'm looking like a tit trying and failing 

1 minute ago, Frost_uk said:

Anyone got any advice to aid in kicking up dumbbells for shoulder press/incline db press?

I'm struggling and watched a few vids to aid like x-lean athlete or whatever his name is.

I perch the dumbbells on the knee when seated and try use my calf to get it flying up to shoulders.... but was trying with 30kg dumbbell and kept failing... can do it okish with 25kg.... getting frustrating as I can press more but getting the dumbbells up to start is hindering me.

Please help as I'm looking like a tit trying and failing 

I’m guessing you don’t train in a public gym as you wouldn’t be making this thread and obviously just as someone to pass you one.

so by yourself try chucking them up with the momentum as you sit down.

15 minutes ago, Matt6210 said:

I’m guessing you don’t train in a public gym as you wouldn’t be making this thread and obviously just as someone to pass you one.

so by yourself try chucking them up with the momentum as you sit down.

I train in a public gym and would rather learn to kick them up rather than rely on others to pass me a dumbbell. Unless it's a heavy ass one which I'm not at that stage yet.

Have seen that way also and never tried, just wanna be able to get to starting position in safety by myself.

14 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

power hooks / dumbbell hooks are an option to bear in mind. I use these at home.

Well I learnt something new today... had never heard of them :thumb

22 hours ago, Frost_uk said:

I train in a public gym and would rather learn to kick them up rather than rely on others to pass me a dumbbell. Unless it's a heavy ass one which I'm not at that stage yet.

Have seen that way also and never tried, just wanna be able to get to starting position in safety by myself.

Just ask someone to pass you a dumbbell up mate, job done.

On 05/12/2018 at 12:14 AM, Frost_uk said:

I perch the dumbbells on the knee when seated and try use my calf to get it flying up to shoulders

You're gonna get to a weight you cannot kick up on your own at some point, but instead of using your calf only, kick your entire upper leg upwards as if you are trying to knee yourself in the face. 

Cheers I will ask someone at some point to pass one up... but the weight is quite low and feel I should be able to kick up at least 30-35kg to shoulders, speaking to another he recommended doing some cleans to improve strength which would help.

32 minutes ago, Frost_uk said:

Cheers I will ask someone at some point to pass one up... but the weight is quite low and feel I should be able to kick up at least 30-35kg to shoulders, speaking to another he recommended doing some cleans to improve strength which would help.

No point mate, risk injuring yourself getting them up, it will take a little out of you so you will do less reps,  on shoulder press anything above 35kg I get one dumbbell passed up.

4 minutes ago, Matt6210 said:

No point mate, risk injuring yourself getting them up, it will take a little out of you so you will do less reps,  on shoulder press anything above 35kg I get one dumbbell passed up.

Cheers chap 

I manage to get 120s(lbs obviously lol) up on my own for db shoulder press, after that I start to struggle to get them up on my own...I find putting the db right on edge of me knees I rock forward then on the way back kick my leg up hard as I can as if trying to knee my face...then i rock forward again and do same with other leg. It all happens pretty fast if that makes sense not really any pause between the first and second leg...I find it much easier doing one leg at a time instead of trying to get em both up. 

Btw I hate when someone passes me a dumbell...when I go heavier I get them to my chest on my own and get someone to Push up from underneath my arms, feels better that way. 

There is definitely a knack to doing it, i used to struggle with anything over 30kg on shoulder press, now i kick the 44's up no problem. Have to push it up with your whole leg toward your shoulders, makes sense when you get better at it. Someone passing me the dumbells is horrible though, seems to put me off my set totally.

I'm the same, hate someone passing me them, throws me off too.

I tend to swing from floor as a curl them press straight up, get someone to push from my elbows. 

Its been a while now as I tend to lift lighter these days anyway.

I power clean them from the floor to my shoulders because I do them standing. Suppose you could do similar and sit with them once they're at shoulder height? 

Been struggling with this too recently. I get both dumbells to my knee’s then push it up using my my knee for momentum. I do it quick so I’m not holding one for longer then needed, it’s not ideal but unless you’re getting someone to help...

I’m struggling getting 35s up to shoulder height right now, seated. I think 42.5s next week for incline bench and I’ll struggle getting them up too. I can never get the momentum to get them up so might need to ask someone for help. My lad can’t pick them up high enough to pass me lol 

On 31/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, Youdontknowme said:

I’m struggling getting 35s up to shoulder height right now, seated. I think 42.5s next week for incline bench and I’ll struggle getting them up too. I can never get the momentum to get them up so might need to ask someone for help. My lad can’t pick them up high enough to pass me lol 

I put them on my knees, lean forward so their touching chest, then lay back and push. 
Getting help: Can you not get one up two handed, then get you lad to pass the other.?