Sign in to follow this  
Skinnyasf

Skinny Fat getting back into it

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on where to start. I am looking to get back into shape, I used to go to the gym 3-4 times a week back about 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience as well as the results, however back then I was just skinny as hell, had the 'Skinny guy 6 pack' due to just having no mass in general lol - So it was easy, I ate big and lifted big (relatively speaking of course!) and grew/gained really nicely over about 6-8 months.

I have not bee to the gym in around 3 years, and this time around I'am a little older (24) and a little bit more flabby. I am unsure if I should adopt the same approach again as I am already skinny fat, and worried I will end up just fat basically. My rough stats are 5'9 at around 55 - 60KG at the moment (I will attach a picture below so you can see what I am working with)

How should someone like me approach 'Getting into shape'? I remember vaguely from the research I did 3 years ago about losing and gaining weight being a simple mechanic, calories in v's calories out etc ..But should a skinny fat guy bulk right off the bat?

My go to work out regime was and will be basically a 5x5 with integrated isolation exercises. I love doing dead-lifts, bent over rows, dips, DB press, DB Shoulder press and then throw in a few curls, behind the head tricep extension things, and use the cable machine for standing fly's (I think they are called?)

Thanks in advance for any advice

IMG_7696.JPG

In the first instance I'd just start training like you did before whilst not particularly changing your diet other than probably increasing protein intake a bit (make sure you have a good protein source with each of your three main meals). You'll almost certainly find your gain strength whilst losing a bit of fat. After Christmas you can then re-assess what you want to do depending on how it's going.

Thanks for the reply Ultrasonic, and that sounds good to me!

I will ease my way back into the workout routine for a while and see how my body responds, hopefully get those beginners gains again from such a long period of basically no physical activity at all, I'am in University now so the most exercise I do is walking to and from a lecture theater! Although I did go for a run today, something im looking at doing a couple days a week, maybe that will help keep anymore fat gain at bay little too.