Hi guys,  

Does anybody else suffer from body dysmorphia? And how do you cure it I guess or cope with it? I'm not depressed or lacking confidence in any way. But I just don't see what others see. It's like I'm blind in a way. I look in the mirror at my body and feel like puking, even questioning why I go gym, why has my body not changed in a couple years of training. But other people seem to think differently, for example in photos I look completely different to how I look in a mirror. Unless I'm comparing myself to someone else who doesn't lift. I can't really see any gains. Basically what I'm saying is topless.... I look like topless will ferrel... But except I don't according to others. I'm confused as hell. What's going on? Do I need to see a psychiatrist? 

Stop looking at yourself in the mirror?

Photos are a better way of judging your own progress than looking in the mirror, as the latter is so subjective. If you have an old photo you can compare to a recent one then if others see a difference you probably will too.

Also I'd stop comparing yourself to others and from a training perspective just focus on making a better version of you.

Whether seeing a psychiatrist would be beneficial would depend on how much this is negatively affecting you. My guess is that their main focus might be to try to find ways to stop you placing so much importance in your appearance, and that if there are ways you could try to do this on your own it would probably be beneficial. So although my comment about not looking in the mirror so much was somewhat flippant it may actually genuinely help.

Of course!

That's what motivates me to go to the gym for the last 27odd years.

If you do look like a toplesd Will Ferrell then you do look off putting

Get your routine and diet sorted out and you will feel much better.

Forget this " it's inside what counts" attitude. That's what fatties tell themselves to feel better. 

I guess everyone gets this to some extent, building muscle is just about the slowest thing ever. 

Come back in 5 years after training 5 days a week and see how you look. 

This is why I switched from bodybuilding to strength training. I always felt like a bloated fat dude in a bulk and a skinny dweeb when I leaned out. At a lean 18 and half stone I was convinced I looked like Tom hanks on Philadelphia. 

Self loathing is a good motivator for me but not healthy. At least with strength training the progress is objective.

Weight in the bar is weight on the bar no matter how you look at it.

6 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Stop looking at yourself in the mirror?

Photos are a better way of judging your own progress than looking in the mirror, as the latter is so subjective. If you have an old photo you can compare to a recent one then if others see a difference you probably will too.

Also I'd stop comparing yourself to others and from a training perspective just focus on making a better version of you.

Whether seeing a psychiatrist would be beneficial would depend on how much this is negatively affecting you. My guess is that their main focus might be to try to find ways to stop you placing so much importance in your appearance, and that if there are ways you could try to do this on your own it would probably be beneficial. So although my comment about not looking in the mirror so much was somewhat flippant it may actually genuinely help.

I understand what you mean, but my problem is..... I can't even explain it very well. Even in reflection of Windows or anything I feel like a look good, but in the mirror I have a dad bod! It's like my eyes are playing tricks on me. People are always complimenting on how I look.... But I can't tell if they're just being nice because they know I go gym? Ahh my mind is a mess! 

1 hour ago, b1gdaddiee said:

This is why I switched from bodybuilding to strength training. I always felt like a bloated fat dude in a bulk and a skinny dweeb when I leaned out. At a lean 18 and half stone I was convinced I looked like Tom hanks on Philadelphia. 

Self loathing is a good motivator for me but not healthy. At least with strength training the progress is objective.

Weight in the bar is weight on the bar no matter how you look at it.

That's exactly the route I'm going down now. I have bought a strength program from a established trainer. I just feel like I'm wasting my time bodybuilding as Il never be satisfied. So powerlifting it is. 

56 minutes ago, ARkb said:

I understand what you mean, but my problem is..... I can't even explain it very well. Even in reflection of Windows or anything I feel like a look good, but in the mirror I have a dad bod! It's like my eyes are playing tricks on me. People are always complimenting on how I look.... But I can't tell if they're just being nice because they know I go gym? Ahh my mind is a mess! 

Change where the mirror is, lighting plays a big part in how you look in a mirror, the mirrors in the changing rooms in my gym make me look horrible, mirrors in the actual gym make me look great

Lighting in the gym is directly above shining directly down on you, brings out definition well with shadowing, the lighting in the changing rooms is just flood florescent lighting with white tiled walls, no shadows to help, can't see much definition at all, gym mirrors are slightly tinted too, gives you a tanned look

3 minutes ago, Cypionate said:

Change where the mirror is, lighting plays a big part in how you look in a mirror, the mirrors in the changing rooms in my gym make me look horrible, mirrors in the actual gym make me look great

Lighting in the gym is directly above shining directly down on you, brings out definition well with shadowing, the lighting in the changing rooms is just flood florescent lighting with white tiled walls, no shadows to help, can't see much definition at all, gym mirrors are slightly tinted too, gives you a tanned look

Ah I see what you mean. Gym mirrors make me look hench! But I know I'm not that big. Very true about the lighting though. Many thanks 

13 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

If youre serious OP then consider shaving your body/ chest hair. Your don't have to go full hog, just run some clippers or a trimmer over it.

You'll look totally different right away ad see some big differences.

This, in fact this weekend is monkey shaving time for me :D 

17 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

If youre serious OP then consider shaving your body/ chest hair. Your don't have to go full hog, just run some clippers or a trimmer over it.

Shaving the hog makes that look bigger too though!

7 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

Hmm ?. Worth a try I guess. Thanks 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, ARkb said:

Do I need to see a psychiatrist? 

No, but you most certainly need to see those who stand at a lower level than you. Perhaps then (and only then), you'd build some much needed appreciation and be motivated enough, to have a sense of gratitude for what you have, instead of focusing on what you don't have.

Having some aspiration to be, or to reach a certain level in life is great, but not when it's done at the expense of your own sanity, where your own drive is driving you to an unreachable destination ... you know, the destination that is so far out of reach (perhaps based on some false and unrealistic standards you've drawn up for yourself), that the only place you'd ever reach is the place where you're standing right now ... as moving forward (based on your own standards), is not impossible, but rather "impossibility" itself!

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:39 AM, ARkb said:

It's like my eyes are playing tricks on me. People are always complimenting on how I look.... But I can't tell if they're just being nice because they know I go gym? Ahh my mind is a mess! 

Let me help you with your "eyes". Imagine for a moment that the writer here (yes that's me), has a connection with the multi-trillionaire petrol rich family (you know who I'm referring to)..., and I'm willing to part with a measly $1,000,000,000 (that's a lot of cash right there mate) ... for your eyes ... did you get that? One billion dollars, will exchange for your eyes ... will you be willing to part with them? After all, I'd be doing you not one favour, but two. No more eyes to see with, like you said here:

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, ARkb said:

It's like I'm blind in a way.

Let's make it for real ... blind!

No more dysmorphia (no eyes remember), yet one billion dollars richer, what'd you say?

Mate, in all seriousness, it's not your eyes, it's your head, that's where the issue lies, and until you change your life's priorities from that that is less important, to that that is essential (like your health for example), you will always have eyes, yet still be blind to life's true gifts to you.

On 03/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, Fadi said:

No, but you most certainly need to see those who stand at a lower level than you. Perhaps then (and only then), you'd build some much needed appreciation and be motivated enough, to have a sense of gratitude for what you have, instead of focusing on what you don't have.

Having some aspiration to be, or to reach a certain level in life is great, but not when it's done at the expense of your own sanity, where your own drive is driving you to an unreachable destination ... you know, the destination that is so far out of reach (perhaps based on some false and unrealistic standards you've drawn up for yourself), that the only place you'd ever reach is the place where you're standing right now ... as moving forward (based on your own standards), is not impossible, but rather "impossibility" itself!

Let me help you with your "eyes". Imagine for a moment that the writer here (yes that's me), has a connection with the multi-trillionaire petrol rich family (you know who I'm referring to)..., and I'm willing to part with a measly $1,000,000,000 (that's a lot of cash right there mate) ... for your eyes ... did you get that? One billion dollars, will exchange for your eyes ... will you be willing to part with them? After all, I'd be doing you not one favour, but two. No more eyes to see with, like you said here:

Let's make it for real ... blind!

No more dysmorphia (no eyes remember), yet one billion dollars richer, what'd you say?

Mate, in all seriousness, it's not your eyes, it's your head, that's where the issue lies, and until you change your life's priorities from that that is less important, to that that is essential (like your health for example), you will always have eyes, yet still be blind to life's true gifts to you.

Woah....that's a nice kick up the backside! It's true...IV become so obsessed with what I don't have, I can't see what do I have...thank you Fadi!

I think the standards the elite lifters set for us are a bit high. I was speaking to a friend about this (photographer) and he was trying his best to convince me most of social media is editing and angles...he went so far as to show me. IL try upload a picture of me as I am. Be prepared to puke it is DISGUSTING! Lol And one in the right angle with a minute of editing on a phone.Shutta_20181207_013212-01.thumb.jpeg.6a56d44c69d81203583e2b7faa706bc6.jpeg

Shutta_20181207_001907-01.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

I'm fairly confident that focusing on fat loss for a while would make you a lot happier with how you look. This is simple to do if you decide this is what you want. 

This. When lean, i always look better, simple as that. You can see every gram of muscle you've earned.

Two weeks in to and excess and i always "look" smaller as the definition disappears.

Being smooth and bloated will always have you chasing more size to get a muscular look.

Plus leaning out gives you the chamce to really assess where you are and what you need to work on.

Plus you'll feel better too.