Poolside

Vegan roast beef joint :D

9 hours ago, lewdylewd said:

We eat cooked meat not raw meat we don't need teeth like a fu**ing lion to be meat eaters. 

We eat cooked meat because raw meat makes you very sick because it’s not meant to be eaten by humans lol 

4 minutes ago, Poolside said:

False again 

People trot out this crap because it makes them feel better.

A friend recently posted on facebook about how vegans all take loads of supplements. Wtf? How the hell would he know?

Go into Holland and Barrett and it's not vegans buying all those cod liver oil or fish oil supps. Some people take supplements, some vegans do to.

But they have to put vegans down to make them feel better.

2 minutes ago, Poolside said:

We eat cooked meat because raw meat makes you very sick because it’s not meant to be eaten by humans lol 

Before we learned to cook meat we ate raw meat like every other carnivore/omnivore. 

If people want to be vegan for ethical reasons good on them.

However people who say "it's natural" or "humans aren't designed to eat meat" or try to use what our teeth look like as some kind of argument don't know what they are talking about.

30 minutes ago, Poolside said:

Also I eat raw beef regularly and have ate raw fish, it's never made me ill. It's just an inefficient way of consuming energy/nutrition.

10 hours ago, charlysays said:

And back then humans would typically only live to around 35 years old, an early death by today's standards and an age at which the consequences of a meat rich diet would be minimally apparent. Good for development in the young and perhaps the reason we overtook the apes but a poor choice for avoiding ageing thereafter.

Now we've evolved and are expected to work until we're 70. According to most research a plant based diet offers the best chance for staying active and healthy into middle age and beyond.

70 fu**ing 70 for real???? fu**ing 70 

2 hours ago, Varg said:

These conversations are largely pointless, nobody's going to convince anybody to change their mind one way or another.

What happened 1000s of years ago is kind of irrelevant to where we are these days though.

Agreed.

I eat meat 3x weekly because I enjoy it.

I overlook the inhumanity.

1 hour ago, charlysays said:

All the research I've seen always finds that the more meat someone eats the bigger the risk to their health from cancer, diabetes,  obesity and heart disease. 

Diabetes type 1 is autoimmune disorder and diabetes type 2 is caused by insulin resistance, which is caused by obesity, genetics and other factors and not by eating meat. Meat doesn´t cause obesity  too. It´s mostly protein and some fat depending on type of meat. Everybody who did meat-only diet lost a lot of bodyfat instead of getting obese.

13 minutes ago, MI.RO said:

Diabetes type 1 is autoimmune disorder and diabetes type 2 is caused by insulin resistance, which is caused by obesity, genetics and other factors and not by eating meat. Meat doesn´t cause obesity  too. It´s mostly protein and some fat depending on type of meat. Everybody who did meat-only diet lost a lot of bodyfat instead of getting obese.

A very quick Google found this:

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/186/7/824/3848997

7 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Weirdo. :P

No man, I'm serious.

Most of the menfolk I'm related to (all Type A personalities) who fully retired snuffed it within a couple of years of total stoppage of work.

The ones who semi-retired went on 5-10 years pursuing their hobbies, activities and interests quite happily.

1 minute ago, AncientOldBloke said:

No man, I'm serious.

Most of the menfolk I'm related to (all Type A personalities) who fully retired snuffed it within a couple of years of total stoppage of work.

The ones who semi-retired went on 5-10 years pursuing their hobbies, activities and interests quite happily.

I’d happily retire today if I had my wages coming in each month that increased with inflation. There is so much I could do whilst I have my health. 

2 hours ago, Poolside said:

False again 

False even though it's pretty well documented? Any restricted diet will result in malnourishment. You also say false again even though the second sentence in the op backs up my post in one aspect...

2 hours ago, Varg said:

People trot out this crap because it makes them feel better.

A friend recently posted on facebook about how vegans all take loads of supplements. Wtf? How the hell would he know?

Go into Holland and Barrett and it's not vegans buying all those cod liver oil or fish oil supps. Some people take supplements, some vegans do to.

But they have to put vegans down to make them feel better.

Yet you have no counter arguments either.. I bet those statistics don't take into account hereditary problems either. Yes if you do 2kg of beef a day there will be issues hence a diet needs to be balanced and varied - not restricted. Of course swimming pool dan doesn't agree with that either 

23 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

I’d happily retire today if I had my wages coming in each month that increased with inflation. There is so much I could do whilst I have my health. 

Early retirement is fine if you keep relatively active mentally. My labourer is 61 fit as a fiddle because he gave up full time work 30 years ago but his brain hasn't been used properly since then and it's fairly evident. I also see it in retired blokes in their 70s that do f**k all most of the day

Treat the brain like a muscle and you will be fine.

2 hours ago, Poolside said:

What you mean 'we'? Get back to your gut friendly raw asparagus 

I find it somewhat humorous how everybody has overlooked the actual point of this thread which is that this is a massively ignored, extremely high source of protein. 

Did you all miss the part where I said it’s 75g per 100g? And it can be made to have the look, texture and taste of BEEF which you all enjoy so much! There is no other protein source like it that is this versatile! 

The Mrs made another batch yesterday, it’s cooled and fridged over night and I just sliced it and if you were given it in a sandwich you would NEVER clock that it wasn’t cold cut roast beef. 

Look at these 2 slices, that’s 75g of protein. I just put it in a tin of soup with 2 slices of bread and got myself a 90g protein lunch. If you’re not taking this on board then you’re a fool imo. 

550591BD-E656-47DE-857E-564ED03506B5.jpeg

EE68DE54-6B41-4328-9023-6F2F17963579.jpeg

53 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

There is so much I could do whilst I have my health. 

I really appreciate how much you value this as it’s the only thing that actually matters. As you are aware with what I’ve been through this year I thoroughly appreciate having my health and the health of those around me.

1 hour ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Property rental is your answer.

Flog or build annexe. Downgrade.

Pursue hobbies.

PS. What health? You're typing from a frikkin guerney/stretcher!I !!

13 hours ago, charlysays said:

And back then humans would typically only live to around 35 years old, an early death by today's standards and an age at which the consequences of a meat rich diet would be minimally apparent. Good for development in the young and perhaps the reason we overtook the apes but a poor choice for avoiding ageing thereafter.

Now we've evolved and are expected to work until we're 70. According to most research a plant based diet offers the best chance for staying active and healthy into middle age and beyond.

This is not true.  People lived to be well over 70, for thousands of years.  There is a statistic of "average lifespan" which gets misunderstood because lots of people died in infancy, childhood and early adulthood due to disease, famine, and war, which brings down the average.  But it doesn't mean that in olden times your hair turned grey at 25 and you dropped dead at 35...

53 minutes ago, Poolside said:

I find it somewhat humorous how everybody has overlooked the actual point of this thread which is that this is a massively ignored, extremely high source of protein. 

Did you all miss the part where I said it’s 75g per 100g? And it can be made to have the look, texture and taste of BEEF which you all enjoy so much! There is no other protein source like it that is this versatile! 

That is by dry weight.  Meat and whey protein are both close to 100% protein by dry weight.

So there isn't a magical property in wheat protein that makes it dense in protein, other than the fact that it is dry by nature.

57 minutes ago, Poolside said:

Did you all miss the part where I said it’s 75g per 100g? 

Yeah but meat is moist. If you remove all the moisture from a peice of lean meat you'd be left with something that contained about 75% protein.

https://www.theawl.com/2015/07/dont-eat-the-fake-meat/

If I want meat then I'll eat meat, if I want vegetables then I'll eat vegetables. Stick this pretend stuff. 

I tried the Linda McCartney  Mozzarella Burgers and they taste strange,they are not terrible but don't taste like meat. I also tried Linda McCartney's Vegetarian Mushroom & Spinach Burgers and found them not too bad. I'm not vegetarian but tried them out of curiosity. If you had a bite of the mozzarella burger and compared to a real good quality burger there is no comparison. 

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

I really appreciate how much you value this as it’s the only thing that actually matters. As you are aware with what I’ve been through this year I thoroughly appreciate having my health and the health of those around me.

I was there for my mam during her various bouts of illness between treatments, I also do lots of work for folk that don’t have their health so I value the importance of it highly. A lot of the folk I do work for have quite a lot of collateral and/or income yet almost all say the same thing, enjoy your money while you can. 

1 hour ago, AncientOldBloke said:

Property rental is your answer.

Flog or build annexe. Downgrade.

Pursue hobbies.

PS. What health? You're typing from a frikkin guerney/stretcher!I !!

In the other thread some other guy rubbished this theory, I’d be better off investing for an average 9% return. 

Hobbies, I have plenty. 

I’m not fully fit yet but have been to the gym 3 times so far this week so I’m getting there. :thumb