doyle1987

Favourite gym

For me i travel for work sometimes so been quite alot of gyms but crayford weights and fitness was always gym i rated highest but after going to muscleworks orpington found my new favourite gym anyone not far away would def advise taking trip down there.

Whats everyone elses favourite ?

1 hour ago, doyle1987 said:

For me i travel for work sometimes so been quite alot of gyms but crayford weights and fitness was always gym i rated highest but after going to muscleworks orpington found my new favourite gym anyone not far away would def advise taking trip down there.

Whats everyone elses favourite ?

Ill give it a shot soon, I’m not too far from it.  Nice one looks nice af!

Best Gym I've ever trained in is the Iron Pit in Warrington, its not there any more :icon_frown:. It wasn't the biggest gym, didn't have loads of equipment, but what it had was good - but that's not what it was about.

Me and a few mates used to head up there for midday some Saturdays, everybody was made to feel welcome in that gym. The owner, Mark Snape was a tank and competed in UKs strongest man, hell of a guy - taught me and other loads. Always remember when his b'stard dog ate my tuna and sweet potato though, that wasn't fun lol.

We used to start the session with Log Press, whoever was there and wanted to would press the log. They would start with no weight, then they'd add 5kg a time until the last person had pressed.

Then they'd get the Texas bar out and start doing a rising bar, again they'd start with the bar then adding 10kg a time. Everybody was welcome to the platform regardless how strong you were.

There was such a buzz it was unreal, it was like something out of the Animal cage. 15-20 people shouting and encouraging you, back slaps, high fives, fist bumps, the lot. PBs were smashed week in week out, I used to love it when we went there. I got my biggest Log Press from there which is 116kg and biggest Deadlift 235kg for 3.

Great days.

I really liked Muscleworks in Bethnal Green when I was living in London but strictly workouts only, the gym is a spit and sawdust smelly place but the equipment is wide and they have any sort of machine. 

I never showered there though too much prison showers feelings 

Now I found a health club in Portugal that unusually has bouncing plates and Deadlifting floor, power cage, not the same level of a bodybuildong gym but above the usual health club and with spot on facilities. 

Been very fortunate to train in a wide variety around the world.... so some of the best were:

Uk- ironworks birmingham

New zealand- university of Auckland

U.S.A-  LOADS!! Although milos sarcevs colliseum Fullerton was very good

Australia- Dohertys Melbourne

Thailand- Maximum fitness Phuket

There's plenty more but these were some of the standouts, whether it was the selection of equipment, the atmosphere, the other members or a combination....

9 hours ago, IronJohnDoe said:

The gym is a spit and sawdust smelly place but the equipment is wide and they have any sort of machine. 

I never showered there though too much prison showers feelings 

I know how you feel mate. Do you remember the TV show Gladiators? One of the Gladiators was called Warrior. He owns a gym by me. 

Its what you describe above. Big units train there, a lot of door men etc. Training heavy, grinding reps out. A lot of people just keep themselves to themselves. A lot of people say it’s intimidating. 

I used to train there  but never showered there................... :lol: