briancfc

Time of from the gym and how often do you train?

Do you train everyday, or how many days a week, also do you feel bad if you don't get training most days a week., or think If I take a week or two weeks off I'll lose gains.

They say you won't lose any muscle if you don't train for 2 weeks, maybe just a little strength.

Do you ever take a week off or 3 or 4 days off, or do you think, if I take a week of I'll lose muscle.  I know people feel like this.

I train 5 days a week, sometimes 6, I hate missing a day, although It probably makes no difference if I didn't train 6 days and went 4 or 5.

I'm going to take a week off now as I've a slight pain in forearm and rather than making it worse, I'm gonna take a weeks break, longest break I've has this year is about 4 or 5 day break.

15 minutes ago, briancfc said:

Do you train everyday, or how many days a week, also do you feel bad if you don't get training most days a week., or think If I take a week or two weeks off I'll lose gains.

They say you won't lose any muscle if you don't train for 2 weeks, maybe just a little strength.

Do you ever take a week off or 3 or 4 days off, or do you think, if I take a week of I'll lose muscle.  I know people feel like this.

I train 5 days a week, sometimes 6, I hate missing a day, although It probably makes no difference if I didn't train 6 days and went 4 or 5.

I'm going to take a week off now as I've a slight pain in forearm and rather than making it worse, I'm gonna take a weeks break, longest break I've has this year is about 4 or 5 day break.

I train anywhere from 4-6 times a week depending if I have a rugby match on the Saturday.

I had 10 days off in July because of a holiday to Cyprus. The week I started back at the gym I completed 3 sets of 8 on DB shoulder press with the 38kg DBs, which I had been stuck on for 3 weeks.

I had a week off last week for a holiday to Morocco and advanced (meaning I completed all sets and reps on some exercises) to the next weight on most exercises on Upper A (Mondays workout) and a couple on Lower A (yesterdays workout).

You wont lose muscle or strength in that time, the rest will do you good.

No one trains consistently for years on end let alone decades. Its normal to get hacked off with it and ditch it for a while (weeks or months)

I haven't trained in 3 weeks as just can't be arsed, no other reason. 6 pack gone , put on 8lbs of fat conservatively as  been watching movies every night eating pizza, desert, drinking beer. Starting back next week. Will be back on shape easily in 4 or 5 weeks 

Stuff like that keeps you sane and gives enjoyment in life rather than just going to the gym week in week out for decades.

11 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

I haven't trained in 3 weeks as just can't be arsed, no other reason. 6 pack gone , put on 8lbs of fat conservatively as  been watching movies every night eating pizza, desert, drinking beer.

Sounds like you've had a decent 3 weeks off mate lol :thumbup1:

1 hour ago, JohhnyC said:

No one trains consistently for years on end let alone decades. Its normal to get hacked off with it and ditch it for a while (weeks or months)

I haven't trained in 3 weeks as just can't be arsed, no other reason. 6 pack gone , put on 8lbs of fat conservatively as  been watching movies every night eating pizza, desert, drinking beer. Starting back next week. Will be back on shape easily in 4 or 5 weeks 

Stuff like that keeps you sane and gives enjoyment in life rather than just going to the gym week in week out for decades.

Not really. I've been training consistently for 6 years + .. Most I've ever had off at once is 3 months when I had an operation. A week here or there when I've been ill, that's about it.

10 minutes ago, Lowkii said:

Not really. I've been training consistently for 6 years + .. Most I've ever had off at once is 3 months when I had an operation. A week here or there when I've been ill, that's about it.

Are You UKM verified bud? 

If not get yourself in here:

Hi Brian.

Niggles are a pain at anytime, but can you work around that forearm trouble by doing legs or something not too strenuous for a while instead? That way you won't become too complacent with your training. Good luck with it :)

Myself, I have just begun a revised programme which will see me training four times per week. My erratic work pattern dictates when I can train, but the following routine should work okay:

Tues: Light session; 1 hour.

Thurs: Heavy session; 75 mins+.

Fri: Cardio + high reps; 90 mins.

Sun: Legs.

17 minutes ago, Lowkii said:

Similar but been training pretty consistently for about 40 years. Hardly ever take time off from it - even book only hotels that have gyms when going on holiday. For me it's just routine (maybe habit). Only time I had off in many many years was 2 weeks last year after major surgery.

Just now, Kazza61 said:

Similar but been training pretty consistently for about 40 years. Hardly ever take time off from it - even book only hotels that have gyms when going on holiday. For me it's just routine (maybe habit). Only time I had off in many many years was 2 weeks last year after major surgery.

40 years is a long time brother :thumb :thumbup1:... I hope one day I can look back and say the same. 

5 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

For me it's just routine (maybe habit).

Be both mate, especially if you've been training for 40 years. I only take time off for hols are injuries. I cant not lift, I enjoy it far to much.

Gym is a release that many people wont realise or wont be able to understand.

I even enjoy cardio time when dieting, LISS cardio for 3--40 mins walking on a treadmill? no problem, doesn't phase me at all. As long as I've got music to listen to im good to go.

5 hours ago, briancfc said:

My main thought is you want to have a realistic training plan that you can generally stick to. Aiming to do too much but then feeling bad when you can't achieve it isn't good. Try to focus on what you've done/achieved instead :).

I train at home which makes it easy for me to train whenever I want. I usually train every day, although I didn't last week due to a bad cold. 

8 hours ago, Lowkii said:

I'm at it 27 years or more but life naturally takes priority, moving house, changing city, studying exams , changing job, family kids, holidays, work load and just wanting time out all mean breaks happen naturally. 

Personally I think it's a good think, shows you actually have a life. Weight training is just a long term hobby for me and as so doesn't always take priority. 

Got an exam coming up in December so I'll probably take another two weeks off for that. Going away for Christmas, another 10 days breaks. Not ideal but just the way it is. 

I try to train at least 3 times a week, usually end up training 5 times. Whenever I'm sick or just really not feeling well I listen to my body and take some days off! 

I think it's really important to give your body time to heal whenever your sick!

On 10/10/2018 at 2:06 PM, briancfc said:

Looking at your post you will be one of two things depending on your training split and nutrition..  

A  )huge with a great physique 

B ) a skinny burnt out quivering wreck who is prone to injury.

It does the body good to periodically take a couple of weeks off to allow full recovery ;)

I still try to train every other day. What used to take 45 minutes now takes an hour and a half, but fcuk it, I'm retired, it's not like I'm in a rush any more. I'm not at the weight I used to be on certain lifts, but some remain the same.