PaulyV2016

Decision on what gym to go to since moving house.

What gym to choose...  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Recently moved house got situation with what gym to choose. Both fairly similar in terms of equipment etc.

• Gym number one £25 per mth 10 minute drive
    • Gym number two £59 per mth 20 sec walk

Recently moved house to other side of town.

I can either keep going to the gym that I am currently at which is 10 minute drive away and only £25 per month or go to the gym which is closer to me (literally 20 second walk) but is £59 per month.

What would you choose.

1) £25 gym 10 minute drive

2) £59 gym 20 second walk

Would do the poll system but tried several times it ent working for me so gave up.

Also both gyms have similar equipment.

31 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

£34 could be used up in fuel per month? Then there is the time loss if I’m a rush?

Valid point Blue. If anything it would probably more than that for fuel with the banger that I have. I guess I am trying to justify reasons for staying at my current gym. One pro that my current gym does have though is that it's half as busy as the one close to me so it's easier to get around the gym without having to wait for people to finish there sets.

10 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

Are you seriously that lazy you can’t be assed driving 10 minutes? This dilemma  wouldn’t even cross my mind if I found a gym I loved.

No not lazy just finding out others opinions on what they would do in the situation. I am more than happy to do the 10 min drive but was weighing up the costs on whether it was worth it with another gym being on my doorstep.

1 minute ago, PaulyV2016 said:

Because it has a swimming pool where as the other doesn't and plus it's a chain gym so they want to make their $$$.

I wouldn't pay 59 quid a month for a gym on principle. I'd stick with the 25 quid one personally.

8 minutes ago, PaulyV2016 said:

No not lazy just finding out others opinions on what they would do in the situation. I am more than happy to do the 10 min drive but was weighing up the costs on whether it was worth it with another gym being on my doorstep.

£34 is a month and a half for my old gym, not worth it IMO. I’d never pay £59 a month for a gym and I live in London.

2 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

£34 could be used up in fuel per month? Then there is the time loss if I’m a rush?

I was thinking similarly.

10 minutes away at 30 mph would be 5 miles. If 10 miles per day, let's say 20 days per month that's 200 miles per month. If we conservatively say fuel plus vehicle running costs are 20 p per mile that would be £40 per month. Different distances, number of training days and travel costs will change the sum but we're in the right ball-park for making up for the gym fees here.

Plus time saved, less pollution and access to a swimming pool.

35 minutes ago, Frost_uk said:

Tbh I'd make my decision on which was better equipped and had a better atmosphere also id say no to either if they were a commercial chain gym or health club style

This.

Pick the gym you want to use. 

2 hours ago, PaulyV2016 said:

Recently moved house to other side of town.

I can either keep going to the gym that I am currently at which is 10 minute drive away and only £25 per month or go to the gym which is closer to me (literally 20 second walk) but is £59 per month.

What would you choose.

1) £25 gym 10 minute drive

2) £59 gym 20 second walk

Would do the poll system but tried several times it ent working for me so gave up.

Also both gyms have similar equipment.

Stay at the £25 gym. It'll MAKE you max out. Familiarity breeds attempt.

If it's too close you won't put your best into it. Proximity breeds laziness. (Having said that, I train at home. 5 second walk down the garden).

Ask for a trial at the £59 one. Then ask them for a discount. They can only say no and tbh, I doubt they will. The full membership published price where I train is £39.99. I pay £25.50. Ask them what’s the best deal they can do for you and that you cannot afford more than £40. Walk away if required and go back and ask a different member of staff. Don’t be shy, they’d do the same. This is the only way you are ever going to know if you are getting the best deal. Good luck.

30 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Ask for a trial at the £59 one. Then ask them for a discount. They can only say no and tbh, I doubt they will. The full membership published price where I train is £39.99. I pay £25.50. Ask them what’s the best deal they can do for you and that you cannot afford more than £40. Walk away if required and go back and ask a different member of staff. Don’t be shy, they’d do the same. This is the only way you are ever going to know if you are getting the best deal. Good luck.

Always ask for a discount since I watched a TV show about 25 years ago, never pay full price for anything, my gym is £45.00 per month, I pay £24.00 per month, Tell the nearest gym that you have just moved near them, tell them how much you pay at your old gym, and will they match it, as Sasnak says, you will never know unless you ask.