Jump to content
swole troll

Swole Troll's guide to dealing with acid reflux

Recommended Posts

TLDR? jog on and enjoy your acid reflux, everything below is relevant to fixing your problem without medication that has nasty long term side effects


So you spicy bastards 

for the last 6 months I've suffered from acid reflux that was brought on by a tren cycle and then my weight and diet compounded it but I have now fixed it with no meds.

At first I went the 'obvious' route of taking rennie when it flared up thinking it'll pass, it didn't so i turned to a more long term option that 'fixes' the issue rather than masks it, a proton pump inhibitor or as some of you might know it as omeprazole 

problem solved.. nope, the acid reflux went but recent data and study has linked PPI drugs to stomach cancer as well as bone fractures, B12 deficiency and gut infections 

they tested 60,000 people and about 150 developed stomach cancer as a direct result of their omeprazole use so the odds are low but with the other long term sides being far more common I would say it's a good reason to try and not take PPI's particularly after the next point I'm going to make about your acid reflux.. 


in the VAST majority of case in those that don't have hiatal hernias acid reflux is cause by an under production of stomach acid not an over production so PPI's are actually exacerbating the problem 

I first questioned the effectiveness of omeprazole when I was taking it and noticing some insane bloat due to the stomach struggling to digest the food 

I then started reading up and watching videos which to my surprise showed that it is almost always an under production of stomach acid causing acid reflux

the reason being is the food hits your stomach and stomach acid is squirted over it but not enough to 'lower' the food in your stomach which means there is acid sitting on top of it close to the esophagial sphincter and splashing through. 


so how do you fix this? 

* clean your diet up, processed foods and grains are a common cause of digestion issues
* drop all antacids and PPI's 
* start drinking 250ml of kefir morning and night also when you are experiencing acid reflux (this tastes like s**t so neck it fast!) 
* start taking apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning, 1-2 tablespoonfuls 
* if you are eating a lot of food / are struggling to digest what you are eating then get yourself a digestive enzyme, the best I've used is lindens heal nutrition digestive enzymes daily 

the above will cure the majority of cases but if not you may have to drop some body weight and stop eating 2 hours before you go to bed to decrease total intra abdominal pressure and allow your digestive system some down time, you can also increase the 250ml of kefir to having it with each meal, this is just until the problem is solved then you can slowly start reducing it again to a morning, night and flare up protocol

trust me on this, I was apprehensive as I was experiencing acid reflux and the thought of actively trying to increase my stomach acid made me feel sick but I assure you in the vast majority of cases doing all of the above WILL work 
 

there is one caveat, if you are running tren or orals then just stick with the PPI's for the duration of your cycle then run the above, you can try the above first but in that scenario you may struggle in which case use the PPI's until you come off as acid reflux can progress into GERD and then your life truly will be miserable and you are at risk of developing throat cancer.




videos nut-shelling some of the above:

 




h7r9LBh.jpg
Y59Dts9.jpg
AD2MNLw.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good read thanks, I sometimes get acid reflux from intermittent fasting, usually in the morning from sleeping on a empty stomach and I pop a ranitidine And then it's fine, during bulking I did used to eat before bed and a pint of milk and within an hour be in bed due to not enough hours in the day lol that was a nightmare could only sleep on my left hand side otherwise I'd get bad acid reflux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frost_uk said:

A good read thanks, I sometimes get acid reflux from intermittent fasting, usually in the morning from sleeping on a empty stomach and I pop a ranitidine And then it's fine, during bulking I did used to eat before bed and a pint of milk and within an hour be in bed due to not enough hours in the day lol that was a nightmare could only sleep on my left hand side otherwise I'd get bad acid reflux.

yea if its only short term an antacid or PPI can be great but if its chronic then it needs addressing without masking the problem or unknowingly making it worse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropping bodyweight, eating cleaner foods, digestive enzymes and Apple cider vinegar have helped me out. I had to drop brown rice for white and lower my intake of oats as well. My main carb source now is white rice I'm eating half a kilo a day along with one serving of white potatoes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jonk891 said:

Dropping bodyweight, eating cleaner foods, digestive enzymes and Apple cider vinegar have helped me out. I had to drop brown rice for white and lower my intake of oats as well. My main carb source now is white rice I'm eating half a kilo a day along with one serving of white potatoes 

That's a good point 

I agree that slower digesting options like brown rice are better served on a deficit 

Just too hard on the digestion having it sat around all day when you are eating large amounts of food every few hours 

The gas and bloat can make it really hard to keep getting the food down and then less clean options become more appealing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swole troll said:

That's a good point 

I agree that slower digesting options like brown rice are better served on a deficit 

Just too hard on the digestion having it sat around all day when you are eating large amounts of food every few hours 

The gas and bloat can make it really hard to keep getting the food down and then less clean options become more appealing 

This is definitely true I even prefer the white rice when cutting just because it digests better and there is less bloating.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solve the issue by taking two bricks once a night. Place them under the headboard or bed legs closest to your head so that when you sleep you are at a slightly inclined angle. This will help stop the acid leaking up out of your stomach and in to your oesophagus.

Another options which achieves the same outcome is a wedge pillow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frost_uk said:

Bought some braggs Apple cider vinegar and started it this morning with 2 tbl spoons in cold water, not great tasting but palatable so just swig it down.... found this interesting also -

 

 

ACV is good and definitely helps hence i listed it above but the MVP is kefir 

depending on how bad your acid reflux is and whether ACV sorts it out or not grab some kefir if you are still getting it 

you dont need to use kefir forever, i did about 2 weeks worth of morning and night 250ml glasses and it sorted out 8 months worth of acid reflux and now i take nothing, just eat clean(er) and try to keep body weight down a bit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, swole troll said:

ACV is good and definitely helps hence i listed it above but the MVP is kefir 

depending on how bad your acid reflux is and whether ACV sorts it out or not grab some kefir if you are still getting it 

you dont need to use kefir forever, i did about 2 weeks worth of morning and night 250ml glasses and it sorted out 8 months worth of acid reflux and now i take nothing, just eat clean(er) and try to keep body weight down a bit 

Just starting my winter slow bulk so food intake is increasing slowly which usually starts me off with acid reflux, will try kefir if I find it happens more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Frost_uk said:

Bought some braggs Apple cider vinegar and started it this morning with 2 tbl spoons in cold water, not great tasting but palatable so just swig it down.... found this interesting also -

 

 

I find all these 'best kept secret' videos really amusing. I can just imagine elite bodybuilders saying to each other 'Hey Roelly, keep it to yourself, but I'm now doing 5ml of Apple Cider vinegar a day! Shhhh....Not a word ok?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Frost_uk said:

Just starting my winter slow bulk so food intake is increasing slowly which usually starts me off with acid reflux, will try kefir if I find it happens more.

It tastes like absolute s**t and is really spicy on the tongue but defo the lesser of two evils 

If you start to get acid reflux as you bulk just try 250ml first thing in the morning and if that fails up to morning and night and then finally with each meal if it gets really bad 

Tesco does the cheapest one at avlit £1.25 for a litre but a couple pols I work with reckon the polish shops do it cheaper again 

Again though like I said above of you're taking orals or tren it's unlikely the natural remedies will work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@swole troll Hi dude, as i've said before i'm an acute sufferer of this, I can see where you're coming from, i'm prescribed Pantoprazole and Ranitidine but it doesn't feel like these actually help the cause at all so will question the doctor when I go to my hospital appointment on Thursday, I have to have a tube up my nose and into my stomache to measure the PH level over a 24hr period,  really quite interested to see the result of this test as it's really grinding me down at times, eating clean never made things better , neither did cutting out lactose or gluten, i actually felt better eating a bit of crap, the apple cider vinegar made me a whole lot worse also but the digestive enzymes and pro biotics from bulk powders have helped somewhat, roll on Thursday !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CarpeDiem76 said:

@swole troll Hi dude, as i've said before i'm an acute sufferer of this, I can see where you're coming from, i'm prescribed Pantoprazole and Ranitidine but it doesn't feel like these actually help the cause at all so will question the doctor when I go to my hospital appointment on Thursday, I have to have a tube up my nose and into my stomache to measure the PH level over a 24hr period,  really quite interested to see the result of this test as it's really grinding me down at times, eating clean never made things better , neither did cutting out lactose or gluten, i actually felt better eating a bit of crap, the apple cider vinegar made me a whole lot worse also but the digestive enzymes and pro biotics from bulk powders have helped somewhat, roll on Thursday !!!!!

they actually have a method of testing PH levels now where you swallow a little sensor and they can monitor your levels over a 24hr period on a computer 


like i said in the OP this will work for the vast majority of cases 
to summarize briefly 

* clean eating (minimal to no processed foods) 
* kefir taken 250ml AM PM, failing that also include 250ml kefir with every meal
* apple cider vinegar 2 table spoons taken first thing in the morning 
* digestive enzymes with every meal
* stop taking PPIs and antacids 
* dont eat anything within 2 hours of going to bed 
* drop your body weight if you are excessively heavy 


and remember your doctor is trying to relieve your symptoms which PPIs do however they do not address the problem and have long term side effects 

i would roll the dice if your doctor offers nothing more than to stay on PPI's and try the above for a month and see how you get on

good luck
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, swole troll said:

they actually have a method of testing PH levels now where you swallow a little sensor and they can monitor your levels over a 24hr period on a computer 


like i said in the OP this will work for the vast majority of cases 
to summarize briefly 

* clean eating (minimal to no processed foods) 
* kefir taken 250ml AM PM, failing that also include 250ml kefir with every meal
* apple cider vinegar 2 table spoons taken first thing in the morning 
* digestive enzymes with every meal
* stop taking PPIs and antacids 
* dont eat anything within 2 hours of going to bed 
* drop your body weight if you are excessively heavy 


and remember your doctor is trying to relieve your symptoms which PPIs do however they do not address the problem and have long term side effects 

i would roll the dice if your doctor offers nothing more than to stay on PPI's and try the above for a month and see how you get on

good luck
 

I have been on that medication since Christmas so i'm not keen to stay on them for much longer, especially as i'm still getting flare ups whilst on them, seems pointless, i'll be wanting more done this time around, will see what these PH results bring and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good read thanks op, I've been using omeprazole since 2016, and for a while I've been wondering if the real reason was under production due to the amount of bloat I get, it feels like a decent mean takes an age to "go down" my tiny little wife can eat twice as quick as me without struggling.

but yet I still suffer with over production apparently, I've started to question how much sense that makes..

Will start ACV and Kefir next week and see how things go.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brook877 said:

Good read thanks op, I've been using omeprazole since 2016, and for a while I've been wondering if the real reason was under production due to the amount of bloat I get, it feels like a decent mean takes an age to "go down" my tiny little wife can eat twice as quick as me without struggling.

but yet I still suffer with over production apparently, I've started to question how much sense that makes..

Will start ACV and Kefir next week and see how things go.

Thanks

coming off PPIs and antacids is paramount in your recovery 

remember you can always go back if it doesnt work so dont be afraid to ditch them and run the above protocol in its entirety 

i know of several people this has worked for, myself included and i had terrible acid reflux, was literally all day long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nWo said:

thanks man

stan efferding talks a lot about HCL and increasing unrefined salts with each meal for the gut benefits 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, swole troll said:

TLDR? jog on and enjoy your acid reflux, everything below is relevant to fixing your problem without medication that has nasty long term side effects


So you spicy bastards 

for the last 6 months I've suffered from acid reflux that was brought on by a tren cycle and then my weight and diet compounded it but I have now fixed it with no meds.

At first I went the 'obvious' route of taking rennie when it flared up thinking it'll pass, it didn't so i turned to a more long term option that 'fixes' the issue rather than masks it, a proton pump inhibitor or as some of you might know it as omeprazole 

problem solved.. nope, the acid reflux went but recent data and study has linked PPI drugs to stomach cancer as well as bone fractures, B12 deficiency and gut infections 

they tested 60,000 people and about 150 developed stomach cancer as a direct result of their omeprazole use so the odds are low but with the other long term sides being far more common I would say it's a good reason to try and not take PPI's particularly after the next point I'm going to make about your acid reflux.. 


in the VAST majority of case in those that don't have hiatal hernias acid reflux is cause by an under production of stomach acid not an over production so PPI's are actually exacerbating the problem 

I first questioned the effectiveness of omeprazole when I was taking it and noticing some insane bloat due to the stomach struggling to digest the food 

I then started reading up and watching videos which to my surprise showed that it is almost always an under production of stomach acid causing acid reflux

the reason being is the food hits your stomach and stomach acid is squirted over it but not enough to 'lower' the food in your stomach which means there is acid sitting on top of it close to the esophagial sphincter and splashing through. 


so how do you fix this? 

* clean your diet up, processed foods and grains are a common cause of digestion issues
* drop all antacids and PPI's 
* start drinking 250ml of kefir morning and night also when you are experiencing acid reflux (this tastes like s**t so neck it fast!) 
* start taking apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning, 1-2 tablespoonfuls 
* if you are eating a lot of food / are struggling to digest what you are eating then get yourself a digestive enzyme, the best I've used is lindens heal nutrition digestive enzymes daily 

the above will cure the majority of cases but if not you may have to drop some body weight and stop eating 2 hours before you go to bed to decrease total intra abdominal pressure and allow your digestive system some down time, you can also increase the 250ml of kefir to having it with each meal, this is just until the problem is solved then you can slowly start reducing it again to a morning, night and flare up protocol

trust me on this, I was apprehensive as I was experiencing acid reflux and the thought of actively trying to increase my stomach acid made me feel sick but I assure you in the vast majority of cases doing all of the above WILL work 
 

there is one caveat, if you are running tren or orals then just stick with the PPI's for the duration of your cycle then run the above, you can try the above first but in that scenario you may struggle in which case use the PPI's until you come off as acid reflux can progress into GERD and then your life truly will be miserable and you are at risk of developing throat cancer.




videos nut-shelling some of the above:

 




h7r9LBh.jpg
Y59Dts9.jpg
AD2MNLw.jpg

Hello mate, interesting read. I have acid reflux every day if I do not take llansaprasole prescribed by the doctor. I have been taking this for about 10 years daily. I am now 33.

I went to the doctors who put it down to me drinking alcohol. I stayed off alcohol for 2 months and it did not stop. I was sent to have a camera down my throat to check my stomach, and it come back ok. I have been taking the tablets ever since. I did go back to the doctors last year, and I was sent for another camera down. It come back ok again, but with slight inflamation of my duodenum. I was told to take the tablets for a further month and then stop and if the reflux still comes back to go back. I know it comes back as if I miss 1 day of taking the tablets its there. I do drink alcohol, not daily or anything, usually a night out every fortnight, but it will be a long day out, 15 pints easy. In your experience would this drinking alcohol cause this or is there an underlining problem? Im basically getting fed up of going to the doctors to be told to go for a camera and to find nothing. I do not want to be taking these tablets any longer, i have read they stop me absorbing vitamin B, So I take a Vitamin B tablet each morning along with a multivitamin, vitamin D3, Garlic supplement and glucosamine.

 

Cheers for any info mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Apple cider vinegar as greatly reduced the need for me to pop a ranitidine. Prior in was taking 1 or 2 q day either morning or evening seemed to be the worst, taken 1 ranitidine since taking the vinegar each morning.

 

Granted I'm a light sufferer of acid reflux it's helped me out a lot and move away for unnecessary drugs to aid.

 

Just out of interest does drinking too much water also cause/contribute to acid reflux? I naturally drink about 3 to 4 litres of water a day without really thinking about it, I read as you say it's usually caused by an under production of acid and if I'm diluting constantly with water is this affecting a reaction to produce more acid to combat that? If you know what I mean lol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 10:24 PM, 2487jamesm said:

Hello mate, interesting read. I have acid reflux every day if I do not take llansaprasole prescribed by the doctor. I have been taking this for about 10 years daily. I am now 33.

I went to the doctors who put it down to me drinking alcohol. I stayed off alcohol for 2 months and it did not stop. I was sent to have a camera down my throat to check my stomach, and it come back ok. I have been taking the tablets ever since. I did go back to the doctors last year, and I was sent for another camera down. It come back ok again, but with slight inflamation of my duodenum. I was told to take the tablets for a further month and then stop and if the reflux still comes back to go back. I know it comes back as if I miss 1 day of taking the tablets its there. I do drink alcohol, not daily or anything, usually a night out every fortnight, but it will be a long day out, 15 pints easy. In your experience would this drinking alcohol cause this or is there an underlining problem? Im basically getting fed up of going to the doctors to be told to go for a camera and to find nothing. I do not want to be taking these tablets any longer, i have read they stop me absorbing vitamin B, So I take a Vitamin B tablet each morning along with a multivitamin, vitamin D3, Garlic supplement and glucosamine.

 

Cheers for any info mate.

Hi bud, you seem like you have it as bad as I do,they found nothing with the camera with me also but I still keep getting flare ups. I finally got another appointment yesterday to have my PH level tested over a 24hr period, they also do some swallow tests before this, I actually feel fine at the moment with no acid problems but my results came back at 70 which is high, normal range is 14, god knows what it must read when I have the actual flare up, now waiting to see what the consultant decides as nothing seems to be working medication wise, If i were you I would ask for this test too, at least you know whats what then.

IMG_0850.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CarpeDiem76 said:

Hi bud, you seem like you have it as bad as I do,they found nothing with the camera with me also but I still keep getting flare ups. I finally got another appointment yesterday to have my PH level tested over a 24hr period, they also do some swallow tests before this, I actually feel fine at the moment with no acid problems but my results came back at 70 which is high, normal range is 14, god knows what it must read when I have the actual flare up, now waiting to see what the consultant decides as nothing seems to be working medication wise, If i were you I would ask for this test too, at least you know whats what then.

IMG_0850.JPG

Cheers for this mate i think i will ask about this when i go back to the doctors. Its strange as they never find anything and just try to fob me off. Im not having it, im on llansaprasole and dont want to b. Cheers for your info bud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frost_uk said:

The Apple cider vinegar as greatly reduced the need for me to pop a ranitidine. Prior in was taking 1 or 2 q day either morning or evening seemed to be the worst, taken 1 ranitidine since taking the vinegar each morning.

 

Granted I'm a light sufferer of acid reflux it's helped me out a lot and move away for unnecessary drugs to aid.

 

Just out of interest does drinking too much water also cause/contribute to acid reflux? I naturally drink about 3 to 4 litres of water a day without really thinking about it, I read as you say it's usually caused by an under production of acid and if I'm diluting constantly with water is this affecting a reaction to produce more acid to combat that? If you know what I mean lol?

no that wont cause any issues 

acid reflux seems the product of an unnatural environment like being super heavy, eating tons of processed shite, over feeding for prolonged periods of time / high calories

hence these are issues we want to address 

drinking a lot of water is normal and your body is more than capable of dealing with it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, swole troll said:

no that wont cause any issues 

acid reflux seems the product of an unnatural environment like being super heavy, eating tons of processed shite, over feeding for prolonged periods of time / high calories

hence these are issues we want to address 

drinking a lot of water is normal and your body is more than capable of dealing with it 

I can't even drink water or shakes when my Acid flares up, just doesn't want to stay down, especially after food, the water just can't find it's way down and I sick it up, very frustrating as you can't stay hydrated and pees always orange.

Been told to stay away from any kind of dairy, acids like vinegars and fruits, caffeine , greasy/fatty foods, that apple cider vinegar I tried last week just made it twice as worse, they found out now that I have a weak valve so I can see some sort of op happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×