Sign in to follow this  
Will2309

Weird shoulder/chest pain

Bit of a weird one here and I will try and explain the best I can.

Every now and then I get a horrible pain around the rear delt trap area of my back it stays there for a few hour or so and travels around to my front left pec area. Now the pain is pretty intense and starting to do my head in. 

I know it's not a injury from training as I have full rom in the shoulder with out any pain at all, I only get the pain when Iam at rest but it goes off when I lay down.

It started in March and I went to the Drs but they sent me to a&e, from there I had ecg, bloods and then sent for a myocardial perfusion scan which I am waiting on the results but the Dr seems to think it's an muscle injury. 

That was in March and then it went away away for a few months and now it back again but worst. Had it now since Tuesday. 

Really haven't got a clue. But i have been thinking maybe it's nerve but surely it would hurt all the time.

Iam going to try and book at sports injury place tomorrow but as I don't think it's a injury is it the best place to go. ?

I think Drs are pretty useless at things like this.

Sorry it's long winded and if any has any ideas let us know please, that's if anyone reads the injury sub forum. Haha 

@Kjetil1234

@Fadi

18 hours ago, Will2309 said:

Bit of a weird one here and I will try and explain the best I can.

Every now and then I get a horrible pain around the rear delt trap area of my back it stays there for a few hour or so and travels around to my front left pec area. Now the pain is pretty intense and starting to do my head in. 

I know it's not a injury from training as I have full rom in the shoulder with out any pain at all, I only get the pain when Iam at rest but it goes off when I lay down.

It started in March and I went to the Drs but they sent me to a&e, from there I had ecg, bloods and then sent for a myocardial perfusion scan which I am waiting on the results but the Dr seems to think it's an muscle injury. 

That was in March and then it went away away for a few months and now it back again but worst. Had it now since Tuesday. 

Really haven't got a clue. But i have been thinking maybe it's nerve but surely it would hurt all the time.

Iam going to try and book at sports injury place tomorrow but as I don't think it's a injury is it the best place to go. ?

I think Drs are pretty useless at things like this.

Sorry it's long winded and if any has any ideas let us know please, that's if anyone reads the injury sub forum. Haha 

@Kjetil1234

@Fadi

Your post has transported me 35 years back into the past. The year:1983, the place, Denver Colorado Springs the US Olympic Training Center. The injury ... a pain that no one could help me with here at the Australian Institute of Sport back then. It was the year I lost faith in physiotherapist and all the machines they were using on us at the time. It took one lovely female therapist from the US, to realise what was needed, and it wasn't some sophisticated state of the art machines, but rather, a formidably designed powerhouse of a tool that each and everyone of us has access to ... the human thumb!

Since that day, when this young therapist managed to do what others failed miserably to achieve, my high regards to massage therapist has never changed from being highly positive. My issue was a tight/knotted up deep muscle right in the infraspinatus area of my shoulder, pinching a nerve each and every time I dipped to jerk and/or push press a weight overhead. Similar to your injury (and consistent with a pinched nerve), it also travelled forward towards my front deltoid.

This is more you right here: http://www.gustrength.com/muscles:scalene-muscles-location-actions-trigger-points

the scalene muscle trigger points and referred pain patterns

...and this was me right here: http://www.gustrength.com/muscles:infraspinatus-muscle-location-actions-trigger-points

infraspinatus trigger points and referred pain patterns

You're welcome to see all the therapist you wish Will, however based on my past experience, it took a human thumb to dig deep into my muscle fibre and in the process, release the knotted/extremely tight bit of muscle that had been pressing on the surrounding nerve, causing the pain and sometimes the sharp burning sensation that I was suffering from at the time, (precisely) when I did what aggravated that area through my dipping action. So a trigger point therapy, myofascial release, and moderate to deep tissue therapeutic massage will all target the symptoms that are associated with that pinched nerve of yours mate. 

The above was my view, and perhaps an option for you (and something) to share with your therapist should you decide to go along the same path I did.

Thank you for your question Will, and I wish you a speedy recovery mate.

@Fadi

With those 2 diagrams i think you have hit the nail on the head. And tbh I didn't think I would get any closer to finding out what is wrong with my shoulder.

You say you did yours after dipping but mine only seems to happens after I have slept funny and end up with a pain in my rear delt/ trap then after a day of this pain it starts moving around to the front. Today it has not been as bad but I have been getting tingles down my left arm as highlighted in red in the pictures.

At least now I have something to go on when I see the physio this week. 

Many thanks my friend.