big vin

my shoulders won't grow

2 hours ago, big vin said:

I never get muscle soreness on my shoulders the next day or two it's the only body part that I never feel the muscle soreness .

I am definitely hitting the shoulder correctly I'm definitely isolating them but I cannot ever remember feeling muscle soreness the next day unlike every other body part . I feel the burn when I'm doing them and they are strong just won't grow . To look at my shoulders they do not look strong but they are . 

Try what I posted earlier. I have yet to see a strongman competitor with no shoulder development. 

For me, the burn, the pump, the DOMS mean very little when it comes to shoulder growth. 

Dropping shoulder work and putting it with chest is madness IMO, I’d do the opposite to get the shoulders where you want them, then you know what it takes and then re-introduce your usual chest training. It could be that you need to train over 8-10days instead of 7 or whatever in order to hit the chest and the shoulders seperately but hard each time yet have sufficient recovery in between.  

2 hours ago, big vin said:

I never get muscle soreness on my shoulders the next day or two it's the only body part that I never feel the muscle soreness .

I am definitely hitting the shoulder correctly I'm definitely isolating them but I cannot ever remember feeling muscle soreness the next day unlike every other body part . I feel the burn when I'm doing them and they are strong just won't grow . To look at my shoulders they do not look strong but they are . 

I think it's probably fairly common to not get DOMS in delts but this isn't specifically a sign they won't grow.

My main thought is to increase total volume per week, and to do this by increasing frequency. I currently do 3 sets of side laterals on 3 different days for example. A different approach to try.

These are rather dry but may be of interest:

https://youtu.be/L5QixcL5uL4

https://youtu.be/K934AW5p8x4

13 hours ago, FelonE said:

Just Absolutely smash the s**t out of them.... Laterals being main focus.... Reps for reps for reps

This..... I really batter the s**t out of them with sets of 20 reps mixed with some heavier weight and 10 to 15 reps then a final couple of sets with 20 reps again to really blitz them.

Also I love a finisher of seated side laterals, 4 sets of 8 with a 8 second rest then lower the weight and another 4 sets of 8 with an 8 second rest. I'm a mess after that lol

Just blast them as they love high volume esp side laterals.

I have to rest my hands in the locker after shoulder training as it feels like my arms are gonna fall off due to all the blood in them lol

4 minutes ago, Cypionate said:

Arms are my weak growth part, they're growing but very fkin slowly, my shoulders grow just by looking at them

I'm exactly the opposite 

That's why my shoulders look crap because my arms too big compared 

I would rather have bigger shoulders and smaller arms

15 hours ago, big vin said:

I'm exactly the opposite 

That's why my shoulders look crap because my arms too big compared 

I would rather have bigger shoulders and smaller arms

Yea having decent shoulders is a good look but still not great with thinner arms than should match the shoulders

I do standing dumbbell side lateral raises, smith machine shoulder press, seated bent over lateral raises for rear delts and recently started smith machine shrugs which have really improved my traps

Me last week

0LdmpWs.jpg

Started hitting my arms a couple extra times a week now to see if I can convince them to grow a bit faster too

On 30/8/2018 at 11:22 PM, Pancake' said:

Just throw some double cream in your shakes vincent. 

A more srs note.

prioritise the military press 3x a week, no leg drive, full ROM, I would perform 3x5’s one week, the next week, sets in the 8-15 rep range. 

Raises, drop the weight by 2.5kg and prioritise form, try different variations, I like to raise just halfway up from my side personally, then I’ll do full ROM. 

With raises, 12 is low imo

15-25

25-50 

Rear deltoids:

Overhand Barbell Row in 10-15 range. 

Dead hang pull ups till failure.

Face pulls.

Rear delt raises in 25-50 

I say 50, but I really mean AMRAP till complete failure. pick your poison.

I trained shoulders yesterday morning 

I took your advice I did lateral raises high reps 4 sets of 25 reps 

Today I can actually see some difference my shoulders seem a bit fuller I'm not sure if it's the pump still there but there seems to be a difference that I have not felt / seen for a long time 

It's the first time I have done very high reps I have done 15 reps before but not 25

24 minutes ago, big vin said:

I trained shoulders yesterday morning 

I took your advice I did lateral raises high reps 4 sets of 25 reps 

Today I can actually see some difference my shoulders seem a bit fuller I'm not sure if it's the pump still there but there seems to be a difference that I have not felt / seen for a long time 

It's the first time I have done very high reps I have done 15 reps before but not 25

Be strict with your form, apply progressive overload and you’ll likely be rewarded. High rep overhand barbell rows, dead hang pull ups till failure will develop the rear deltoid well. focus on improving the standing military press 3x a week and 3x5 3x8-15 are ranges I favour. try the ultra high reps with your raises and perform them slow/strict. dropsets are a good tool as well as using trigrip plates, one’s with handles. I like 15-25 for lateral raises and 25-50 for rear delt raises. Form is crucial with these. 

1 hour ago, Pancake' said:

Be strict with your form, apply progressive overload and you’ll likely be rewarded. High rep overhand barbell rows, dead hang pull ups till failure will develop the rear deltoid well. focus on improving the standing military press 3x a week and 3x5 3x8-15 are ranges I favour. try the ultra high reps with your raises and perform them slow/strict. dropsets are a good tool as well as using trigrip plates, one’s with handles. I like 15-25 for lateral raises and 25-50 for rear delt raises. Form is crucial with these. 

Any tips on form for laterals or any YouTube vids you'd recommend for it?

20 hours ago, RexEverthing said:

Any tips on form for laterals or any YouTube vids you'd recommend for it?

Take a look at John Meadows channel, he has some good content. but form>weight everytime with a great deal of T.U.T and raising simultaneously. Isolation=concentration imo. 

Ideally avoid turning your pinky’s up to avoid future impingements. maintain a neutral hand position and a touch more than neutral.

Lateral raise variation with plate starting on top of thigh, elbows slighty bent, raising more outwards (not a front raise), the remaining sets, plate right by side and only raising halfway up, yet maintaining T.U.T throughout whole sets. 

Lastly, I don’t like dumbbells for raises, I prefer something more of a dead weight, like a plate or kettlebell. Inbe4 T.U.T is b*llocks.