NoGutsNoGloryy

1/2 day fast health benefits?

15 minutes ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

I meant for a day or two of fasting haha my bad:tongue:

It would help with Inflammations and Insulin sensitivity and BP IIRC. Real benefits of fasting starts after a 12 hour period. I read a long time ago on fasting when i used to do 36 hours of fasting per week in one go. Was hard at start but after that, it was fun. Be prepare to get head fumes in first few times.

Search John berardi and fasting, he promotes fasting a lot

well for anybody wondering I started having 2 meals a day (im cutting so 1000 calories each time) and the energy I have is amazing. You look into it science wise and it makes sense... We've only very recently in our nature begun to consume food whenever we like.

I notice how tired I was eating 6/7meals a day. Never thought I would be able to train fasted but my meals are at 1pm and 5pm and I can train easily that next morning.

14 minutes ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

well for anybody wondering I started having 2 meals a day (im cutting so 1000 calories each time) and the energy I have is amazing. You look into it science wise and it makes sense... We've only very recently in our nature begun to consume food whenever we like.

I notice how tired I was eating 6/7meals a day. Never thought I would be able to train fasted but my meals are at 1pm and 5pm and I can train easily that next morning.

If you're doing this more than very occasionally as I thought you were asking about then where this is probably sub-optimal is in terms of protein timing/distribution through the day. Is what you're talking about going to lead to you losing loads of muscle? No, definitely not. But are you probably slightly better off having protein say 4 times a day instead? Yes.

Also, I don't think eating two meals per day will be giving you the main potential benefits of fasting. You may have changed your priorities though?

3 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

If you're doing this more than very occasionally as I thought you were asking about then where this is probably sub-optimal is in terms of protein timing/distribution through the day. Is what you're talking about going to lead to you losing loads of muscle? No, definitely not. But are you probably slightly better off having protein say 4 times a day instead? Yes.

Also, I don't think eating two meals per day will be giving you the main potential benefits of fasting. You may have changed your priorities though?

Well at first I was just wondering about doing a entire fast just for one day but I looked at OMAD diet and tried it and turned out I quite liked it so just to see if I could make it more suited towards myself I split calories into two and I definitely have enough fasting. I have a window of 4hours to eat my food that leaves 20hours without food + I train in that time and continue with work for most of my fast. 

My strength is continuing to go up just at the speed as when I ate every couple of hours so I doubt splitting up protein has any added effect. This whole evolutionary thing with how we have been eating in our human history makes sense to me doing this.

12 minutes ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

Well at first I was just wondering about doing a entire fast just for one day but I looked at OMAD diet and tried it and turned out I quite liked it so just to see if I could make it more suited towards myself I split calories into two and I definitely have enough fasting. I have a window of 4hours to eat my food that leaves 20hours without food + I train in that time and continue with work for most of my fast. 

Ah, right. Not sure why but when you said 2 meals per day I'd assumed two meals 12 hours apart!

12 minutes ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

My strength is continuing to go up just at the speed as when I ate every couple of hours so I doubt splitting up protein has any added effect. This whole evolutionary thing with how we have been eating in our human history makes sense to me doing this.

What may have happened from an evolutionary POV to survive is not necessarily what is optimal from a bodybuilding point of view.

It's not a big deal either way but the scientific evidence that exists favours a small number of decent sized protein serving spread throughout the day, with eating every two hours likely sub-optimal just as only once or twice is.

(You're probably not interested but just in case here are the best two example studies I'm aware of to back up my point:

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/jphysiol.2012.244897

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/144/6/876/4589937 )

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, Armitage Shanks said:

For the past month I have had one meal/day.  Seems to work very well for me. 

Good day to you mate,

I saw your comment, and thought I must re upload what I've already uploaded few months back.

What you say with your comment does make sense, and I'm glad you've included the most crucial details, i.e. the "what" and the "how". The "what" describes what you've been doing, and the "how" describes how you've been doing it. So I thank you for sharing this info with us here Sir.

My reason for commenting, is to possibly save you some major issues down the track, should you decide to continue with your methodology/approach. You see, you're potentially going to reach a stage called "too much of a good thing", which can now become a bad thing. The bad thing I'm referring to would be the base of your insulin marker, or if you like, the fasting state of your insulin increasing as you maintain this one meal per day/one insulin spiking per day. I'm assuming you're not eating/drinking anything that would spike your insulin after you have that one meal per day now.

So without any further writing from me, please watch this most valuable video clip of Dr. Darren Schmidt explaining it all to you in 7 minutes and 45 seconds. If you don't have the time, then in that case please fast forward to the 5:00 minute mark and go from there.

@anna1 is right on the money with her two insulin spikes a day. As a maximum of three is all that is ever needed according to the good doctor.  

5 hours ago, arbffgadm100 said:

Based on what I have read, 16-24hrs on a fairly regular basis is probably the minimum you need to obtain tangible "health" (as opposed to physique/diet adherence) benefits (autophagy, blood-glucose control, etc).

I believe the sweet spot for all those health effects you've mentioned Sir, seats nicely between18  and 24 hours. I've also put this information on the forum before, however if you've missed it; here it is again for you:

Image result for sweet spot for intermittent fasting

The Sweet Spot for Intermittent Fasting

https://medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c

I fast 12:12, but not for any reason other than since I started sleeping at home I typically sleep 5 hours, get up, do a few hours of work and then sleep till lunch and I don't bother eating during my morning work session. Dunno if it's affecting me positively in any way, shape or form, doesn't feel like it.

I've been somewhat doing this for the last year or so.  Did lose a little weight on it (I wasn't overweight).  It leaves me a little more free time.

I like doing it to give the body a break from digesting food all of the time we're awake.  Most people eat way more than the body actually needs in the USA, UK and mainland Europe too.  Or any developing country.  Different if you're bodybuilding and want to add / maintain bulk of course. 

You can still consume the same amount of food though, but just in a smaller time window.

But would definitely say don't jump into it, as it can be a shock to the system. Particularly if you're used to eating first the in the early morning till reasonably late at night.  As a start, try delaying breakfast for an hour or two. That kind of approach.