afcpaul

Footwear in Gym

Hi,

I'm a new member, 5 months in weight training.

I'm in between 2 hip surgeries, therefore, I'm limited in what I can do in the Gym (No squats), therefore, I'm just trying to strengthen my core, lose weight.

I will look to build muscle when I've recovered from a second surgery, around about Feb 19.

I do gym work in running shoes. They are really comfortable for day to day use, but......

I find them too "spongy" in the gym. They dig too deep when using TRX bands, press ups and bench press's, barbell exercises.

Has any one else experienced this ?.

I'm new, therefore, not lifting heavy.

Is it just me ?.

What foot wear do you recommend ?.

Thanks

Get some custom orthotics made, quite cheap really (£30 - £50 a set).

Dave Palumbo raves about how they help people to squat properly.

These when made, obviously have to be put into brand new shoes

DSC_7781-copy.thumb.jpg.cc3af48b61da2db591f57dc1851b0653.jpg

Overpronation.png.e05cb5cab08e2e9eed771259fa43f2a5.png

44 minutes ago, afcpaul said:

Hi,

I'm a new member, 5 months in weight training.

I'm in between 2 hip surgeries, therefore, I'm limited in what I can do in the Gym (No squats), therefore, I'm just trying to strengthen my core, lose weight.

I will look to build muscle when I've recovered from a second surgery, around about Feb 19.

I do gym work in running shoes. They are really comfortable for day to day use, but......

I find them too "spongy" in the gym. They dig too deep when using TRX bands, press ups and bench press's, barbell exercises.

Has any one else experienced this ?.

I'm new, therefore, not lifting heavy.

Is it just me ?.

What foot wear do you recommend ?.

Thanks

Shoes with elevated heels.. For squats, Ohp, clean etc I Deadlift just with socks tho or slippers.. 

Have a look at strengthshop they have nice and cheap weightlifting shoes. 

Just now, Pancake' said:

I’ve always been of the impression to wear a flat sole trainer? 

It depends from the exercise and how's your ankle mobility etc. Squat shoes have generally a nice firm wood heel and give you more stability, they helped me a lot when I recovered from a broken ankle. They also give more leg drive on push presses, jerks etc and for someone with long femurs they allow for more knee travel and a more upright torso.. 

2 hours ago, nWo said:

I've always just worn standard flat soled trainers like Adidas Nizza's.

I had some Adidas , not sure what ones they were but soles were flat and uncushioned, was perfect, loved them for lifting. Was absolute s**t for cardio though. 

Lonsdale boxing boots. The ones that come just above the ankle I wear, same ones I wore when I used to box. This pair have lasted me nearly 2 years and still going strong for 26 quid 

Thanks for all of your help.

JD Sports have deals on flat sole trainers, Converse, Adidas, vans all for £25 / £35. I'm going for a pair of these.

I have a hip replacement operation in November, running shoes are great for recovery from this whilst I'm on crutches, very supportive and comfortable.

When I'm training proper again, around next February, I will look into getting some custom orthotics.

Great stuff all, it sounds like a plan.

Thanks

I started wearing these (Merrell vapour glove....mostly because I liked the name) but they look so gimpy with shorts (like a duck) that I mostly just do d/l or Squats in socks now. I've worn Converse in the past but prefer the feel of barefoot as I feel I can push through the heels more consciously.  

Image result for merrell vapor glove

On 8/2/2018 at 9:48 PM, afcpaul said:

Thanks for all of your help.

JD Sports have deals on flat sole trainers, Converse, Adidas, vans all for £25 / £35. I'm going for a pair of these.

I have a hip replacement operation in November, running shoes are great for recovery from this whilst I'm on crutches, very supportive and comfortable.

When I'm training proper again, around next February, I will look into getting some custom orthotics.

Great stuff all, it sounds like a plan.

Thanks

Vans for £ 25? Holly [email protected]

Can you buy me a couple ? 

I’m 38 european 

thanx :) 

x

On 8/1/2018 at 1:44 PM, Sparkey said:

Get some custom orthotics made, quite cheap really (£30 - £50 a set).

Dave Palumbo raves about how they help people to squat properly.

These when made, obviously have to be put into brand new shoes

DSC_7781-copy.thumb.jpg.cc3af48b61da2db591f57dc1851b0653.jpg

Overpronation.png.e05cb5cab08e2e9eed771259fa43f2a5.png

where can one get them done like that?

Check out the More Mile website. If you look around the net you can get 30% discount too. The lifting and crossfit shoes are really good and about half the price of Adidas.

If you're "in between 2 hip surgeries" I'd say you are very limited in what you can do as most exercises put pressure on the hips in varying degrees.

Personally if I were in your situation I'd just do light cardio until I'd healed from the operation/s because even picking up dumbbells and curling them is putting extra pressure on your hips.

Otomix all the way for me. Comfortable, sturdy, made well, last well.

wouldnt use any others now. 

Some say expensive, but, Not expensive when you think about the great support they give

391F87D1-8CAB-4C55-9564-ADC4194E7FB7.jpeg