UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

L-arginine and food intake

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Iron Lou 
#1 ·
I was idly looking at Ronnie Coleman videos on YouTube, as you do and ended up on a website with what is purported to be one of his diet plans. Nothing out of the ordinary, lots of protein and carbs.

What struck me was the amount of L-ARGININE he is meant to have taken, based on this diet that is. He apparently (along with other stuff....) Had 3-5g 30 mins before eating.

I looked in to l-arginine and it is a Nitric Oxide precursor. In turn, it's been suggested that Nitric Oxide is a signalling/effector molecule and modulates the release of Ghrelin. So other than providing vascularity(through vasodilation) and muscle pumps it can also apparently be an appetite stimulant.

This abstract below seems to make the connection with L-arginine, Nitric Oxide and Ghrelin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12948844/

I thought I'd post this as I know that lots of people on a lean bulk struggle to get their requirements in and wondered if anyone has any additional suggestions?

#2 ·
I didn't know Ronnie Coleman used arginine to boost appetite, that's interesting.

In theory, and according to numerous rodent studies, NO boosting supplements should increase appetite, although I have no idea what would constitute an effective or suggested dose to try.

I've used NO boosters myself in the past - arginine, ornithine, citrulline, and the only one I remember ever actually noticing an increase in appetite on was ornithine (alpha ketoglutarate), and that was a large dosage at around 24g daily.

#4 ·
I didn't know Ronnie Coleman used arginine to boost appetite, that's interesting
I'm going by a "diet plan" of his that I found, but given that he took it 30mins before eating according to this plan, it would appear that way. Those were the meals around his training interestingly.

I believe Alpha ketoglutarate supps are 2 arginine molecules bound with an additional molecule of alpha ketoglutarate, which then would mean if arginine is an appetite stimulant, then it would be more noticeable than say a regular arginine supplement.

Given that RC at his weight was purported to have used about 15g a day, 10-15g a day would probably work for the rest of us, but it's all down to personal effects. I've been using 10g at 77kg bw and been easily getting 350g clean fibrous carbs in.

#7 ·
A lot of supplements go through the same process, I think it depends on who is funding the studies sometimes, other times it depends on the purpose of the study etc etc. As I mentioned above, I've read lots of conflicting studies on it too and just because RC is 'meant' to have taken it doesn't make it a panacea alas. Time will tell if it's placebo or not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.