UK2USA

Father's Day Fishing - Tampa

Well done and very envious, our summers not even kicked in properly over here yet.

Must be different varieties of Mackerel over in the States, they're not the ones I used to catch off the UK coast? mind you brought back fond memories, used to set up on our local pier and fish for Mackerel. Would usually use a string of white feathers [some use coloured] and start bobbing the line up and down in the water, you'd get nothing for hours than a shoal would come in and you'd be pulling them out six at a time. Sometimes the line was that heavy you'd have to lay the rod down and pull them up by hand. Often get 50-60 in an hour then the shoal would be gone.

Not sure if it's still like that now or whether stocks have dwindled, it was great though.

That's amazing

11 hours ago, UK2USA said:

Spent a couple of hours at Ballast Point Park in Tampa, fishing off the pier for my Father's Day morning outing, and caught 19 Mackerel in about an hour and a half, before the sun got so hot that it became oppressive.

20180617_084208.mp4

PHOTO-201.jpg

That's good fun!

If you're ever in the Cotswolds, you must try this place:

https://www.biburytroutfarm.co.uk

You only pay for what you catch. Tenner a kilo. (Er...you DO know what a kilo is, don't you?)

4 hours ago, AncientOldBloke said:

That's amazing

That's good fun!

You only pay for what you catch. Tenner a kilo. (Er...you DO know what a kilo is, don't you?)

I'm presuming it's some silly European measure of weight that crept into my beloved England like a dole seeking refugee, polluting a once great nation like a cancerous growth which slowly kills it host? 

And a tenner, is that still in English pounds shillings and pence, or is that also some foreign nonsense monopoly money?

9 hours ago, AncientOldBloke said:

That's amazing

That's good fun!

This is what's wrong with the UK. The whole point of fishing is supposed to be catch your food using your own hard work so you don't have to pay for it. I swear this country is designed to make you spend money at all times. We're supposed to be one of the most advanced free countries in the world but I can guarantee you don't have to pay to fish in the majority of third world countries. Takes the p1ss.

11 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

This is what's wrong with the UK. The whole point of fishing is supposed to be catch your food using your own hard work so you don't have to pay for it. I swear this country is designed to make you spend money at all times. We're supposed to be one of the most advanced free countries in the world but I can guarantee you don't have to pay to fish in the majority of third world countries. Takes the p1ss.

Is this a serious post:confused1:

13 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

Yeah but then how does the trout farm pay its bills and turn a profit?

Communism doesn't work.

Also, coming from.a third world country I can genuinely say the fish might be free BUT you get arrested / shot / raped at whim by those in positions of power.

f**k that. Gimme the West every time.

And this country is the best in the world. It's not perfect, but it's the best.

Just my 2c. (Or tooppunce ay-penny I should say)

Trout farms/fisheries need to charge in order to survive. If you want to keep/eat your catch then go sea fishing - we are an island after all. You could also go coarse fishing in rivers and just take your catch home without anyone noticing as I did this a few times as a kid.