Hey,

Usually I would train AM, after a coffee. I would then have creatine and a high blend whey. The rest is food, food and more food. Here's the thing , I am now the lowest BFP I have ever been, 5'11, 12 stone and want to maintain a low body fat and put on muscle. I think I should up my calories with protein and good carbs and train as hard as I can (lifting) I find cardio boring but am relatively active anyway.

Any diet suggestions, decent Whey products or anything else

Cheers

MAM :)

I'd have creatine later in the day rather than pre-workout, as there is no performance advantage pre and it means you'll need to be drinking more water then.

Whey I buy Pure Whey from Bulk Powders, which is currently 33% off but offers happen very frequently.

If you're training very soon afterwards then EAAs are more rapidly absorbed than whey and is an alternative to consider. I couldn't swear it will give you a worthwhile benefit though.

Minimising fat gain whilst gaining muscle is down to total calories not what foods they come from. Excess calories lead to fat gain whilst insufficient calories negatively affect gym performance, recovery and growth. Trying to gain no fat at all usually hinders progress but it's definitely worth keeping fat gain under control.

Thanks for response

I usually have the whey and creatine post workout. The calorie thing is tricky. Any recommendations? I guess I would have to minimise calories to 2000-3000, high protein , good carbs. restrict each meal to 500 calories, 5-6 times per day.

24 minutes ago, MAM said:

I guess I would have to minimise calories to 2000-3000, high protein , good carbs. restrict each meal to 500 calories, 5-6 times per day.

No to all of that other than high protein: something like 1.8 g per kg bodyweight is reasonable.

2000-3000 kcal is a HUGE margin! If you really want to control fat gain aim to be within at least 100 kcal of a daily target. You need consistantly to make informed changes. As for what the calorie intake needs to be it's ultimately a question of trial and error. Tracking your current diet and weight for a couple of weeks is one way to go about this, then changing from their accordingly.

You don't need to eat multiple smaller meals unless you want to. I get most of my calories from a reasonably large breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'm not totally sure what a 'good carb' is. Eat a varied diet including plenty of vegetables and fruit but don't overtly deny yourself foods you enjoy. I have a piece of cake with my lunch most weekdays for example, and often a pizza for dinner on Fridays. Calories determine fat gain or loss not what foods they come from.

To keep things easy to begin with just worry about total calories and protein, although as you didn't mention fat at all I just say don't go out of your way to eat a really low fat diet.