jjtreml

'modern' gyms are crap

They have thousands of treadmills and cross trainers....and some of that crappy Precor machine equipment....members bitching and moaning about no Tv's in the gym, who goes to the gym to watch tv ffs?

Take me back to the Dorian Yates blood and guts temple style gym anyday of the week...not this snowflake modern crap.

I agree that the modern gyms have all sorts of equipment and attract all sorts my gym is not long opened and the equipment is  constantly getting repaired because of incorrect use it's annoying trying to get a workout when new machinery is dodgy . Everone has tgere place in the gym i just put in my headphones and switch off for an hr, it's good to have all this equipment to mix up our routine and hit our muscles from different angles , just need the pt' s to keep an eye on inexperience gum users wrecking the equipment.

100% with OP and the like minded here... I use a very small gym, Ground floor is all barbells, dumbells, squat racks with maybe 5 fixed point machines.

Upstairs is ALL fixed point machines, cardio stuff and a decent cable unit (which I tend to abuse).

I have tried 3 other gyms over the past 2 years and I cant leave this place, golds gym (dagenham), MASSIVE... but the customer base is way to high where you are expected to queue up for your damn exercise. Other gyms are simply too clean/quiet, I refer to them as leisure centres. As someone else said, who needs a fking tv??? 

I pay £16 a month for my place, and it has heavy plates, its dirty, raw and has a good few meatheads which always helps with the vibes....what more could a guy want.

3 minutes ago, Sean91 said:

^^^^ few girls as well maybe? 

Few heartbreakers indeed xD

On that topic, that's the 1 benefit of all these prim and proper franchises I've heard;)!

Edit: 1 of the very few girls in my gym (who I met there obviously) has now been exclusively training with me for over a year lol, pretty much stays round 5 days a week and we now meal prep together etc... pretty sweet

have to agree on some level with the OP although due to my life at present I have been forced to train before 6 am in the morning or after 11pm at night so have been training at one of the "The GYM"  set ups.  its 24 hours 365 days a year, £10.00 a month,  to be honest it has plenty of equipment, Dumbells only go to 38kg so I dont really them other than bicep curls or lateral raises.  but they have 5 power racks two dedicated bench stations two squat racks two smith machines, plenty of plates as well so never struggled to have sufficient even when deadlifting over 200kg . its not got the best equipment but for the money and the convenience its ok.  I have noticed more and more big guys training in there recently I guess due to the price and convenience. 

1 hour ago, Pancake' said:

Finding 1 with the pullover machine isn’t easy either.

1 hour ago, Heavyassweights said:

dumbbells blud

39 minutes ago, Pancake' said:

Don’t compare blud

7 minutes ago, Heavyassweights said:

tell my lats that, currently walking around like a member of the ninja turtles

Gotta agree with @Pancake' on this. 

@Pancake' if you live in Birmingham you may be in luck with Collisium gym. 

https://coliseumgym.co.uk/

I’ve not been there but I will make a visit one weekend. 

The money is in the fatties that have intentions but quit after a few months. Not us meatheads that hammer the equipment 4 or 5 times a week for years. There is a market but far smaller and less profitable.

6 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Gotta agree with @Pancake' on this. 

@Pancake' if you live in Birmingham you may be in luck with Collisium gym. 

https://coliseumgym.co.uk/

I’ve not been there but I will make a visit one weekend. 

I do dumbbell pullovers to end a upper and they don’t compare, the machines are that good, I’ve been thinking to buy one. 

7F1D1457-1AA2-4344-A95D-411D4F124D44.jpeg

2 hours ago, jjtreml said:

They have thousands of treadmills and cross trainers....and some of that crappy Precor machine equipment....members bitching and moaning about no Tv's in the gym, who goes to the gym to watch tv ffs?

Take me back to the Dorian Yates blood and guts temple style gym anyday of the week...not this snowflake modern crap.

this is like lot of pussies ( tv, chit chat with girls, show up lil biceps) would like become a man, modern gym is for more lil pussies which never feel real gym proper sweat lol

14 minutes ago, Pancake' said:

I do dumbbell pullovers to end a upper and they don’t compare, the machines are that good, I’ve been thinking to buy one. 

7F1D1457-1AA2-4344-A95D-411D4F124D44.jpeg

@Fadi loves a pullover as do I

couple heavy sets with a drop set to round of a workout and your capable of flying home 

2 hours ago, Jordan08 said:

Agree. Opening a gym which has no crap machines just benches, squat rack, deadlift platform and few hammer strength machines is my dream.

One day!!

Keep a few cardio things for shred the fat post workout mate, but yes, essentially a back to the basic sounds great.

5 minutes ago, Heavyassweights said:

@Fadi loves a pullover as do I

couple heavy sets with a drop set to round of a workout and your capable of flying home 

Agreed. 

Only bad thing about them IME is recovery, they slaughter my triceps something differently and can take up to 3-4 days to recover. Stretch on the triceps is real. 

3 hours ago, SwoleTip said:

Why the f**k is it so hard to find a gym with more than 2 power racks? They'll have a million treadmills with only 2 power rack, and 1 deadlift mat. FML

That’s one of the main reasons I workout at home 

3 hours ago, SwoleTip said:

Why the f**k is it so hard to find a gym with more than 2 power racks? They'll have a million treadmills with only 2 power rack, and 1 deadlift mat. FML

True, and you'll always have loads of empty treadmills and bikes, but the weights area is always overcrowded. Makes no sense!