Jump to content
jjtreml

'modern' gyms are crap

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, InAndOut said:

True, and you'll always have loads of empty treadmills and bikes, but the weights area is always overcrowded. Makes no sense!

Bro thought you were AWOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say there are loads more gyms around these days that cater towards bodybuilders/powerlifters/strongmen than there was 20 years ago... there are far more cardio orientated gyms too obviously. But surely this just means more choice for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Oioi said:

Bro thought you were AWOL 

Haha you alright pal? Broke my phone that night and haven't got round to sorting apps out.

AE been serving you well ey! :thumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough I work in a true spit and sawdust gym that even opened in the late 1960's,just around the time the golden era of bodybuilding started. We have all the equipment used back then, it's the sort of place where no one gives a f**k about the floor as it's underground. We get guys come in maybe once a week, who claim 'f**k modern gyms',how our gym is exactly what they have been looking for ,yet 95 percent of them never actually come back to have a go. And of that 5 percent maybe one of them will actually join up and carry on for more than 3 months. It's damp, it's musty, there are interesting spiders, it's freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot in the summer. Your hands stick to the barbells in winter. Most of our members have been training there decades. 

When people see the reality of training in my gym or yates temple gym no doubt the vast majority don't want to go there. There are no female members, and the lads who are brave enough to do a workout in our gym {and you need to be brave,to walk down those stairs first time  in the pitch black in the direction of the light ,and to the sounds of grunting groaning the crashing of weights and the swearing'. , some claim our weights are heavier than what they have in the other gyms . Our weights are in pounds also, none of the euro crap and we have a massive union jack on the wall. To be honest despite it's uniqueness Iam shocked we aren't busier as it's the perfect place to pack on size ,you don't have to really queue for anything and you can basically do anything down there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pancake' said:

Finding 1 with the pullover machine isn’t easy either.

God I haven't seen a nautilus pullover in at least a decade! Mind you, dumbbell pull overs are a great exercise, very overlooked

Biggest problem I have is that the weight stack of these modern machines are pathetic. I am not that strong and train for hypertrophy not strength but anybody with a few years experience can max out on leg extensions, pec deck, dedicated calf raise. Even a leg press machines is shocking. 140kg in my place which feels about 240kg of a plate leg press I'd imagine (fulcrums, angle of lift etc)

Also high street fitness first style gyms i see in London hardly never have dumbbells  weights past 25kg. The rents are too high for an old school gym and woman generally won't join these places so they have become very commercial.

usually the uglier the cliental are in a gym the better it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

God I haven't seen a nautilus pullover in at least a decade! Mind you, dumbbell pull overs are a great exercise, very overlooked

Biggest problem I have is that the weight stack of these modern machines are pathetic. I am not that strong and train for hypertrophy not strength but anybody with a few years experience can max out on leg extensions, pec deck, dedicated calf raise. Even a leg press machines is shocking. 140kg in my place which feels about 240kg of a plate leg press I'd imagine (fulcrums, angle of lift etc)

Also high street fitness first style gyms i see in London hardly never have dumbbells  weights past 25kg. The rents are too high for an old school gym and woman generally won't join these places so they have become very commercial.

usually the uglier the cliental are in a gym the better it is. 

They’re good, but that machine is just so much better @BLUE(UK) will tell you that. 

As for machines, they’re a great tool and good for when cutting, injured/limited or want to burn out a muscle. That’s how I view them. I’m a free weight/calisthenic guy, I rarely lift in a gym, more for cardio, boxing and to catch up. 

Only machine I use regularly is leg press. I’m not sure of your age, maybe you want to take things bit easy now, but Kevin Levrone has a good quote, I’ll share below. Build a little set up or find a more backstreet gym, with not so much treadmills and just the basics. :) You can do a lot, with not a lot. 

 

30E5C905-0C27-400B-A229-041F3BC681D5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohhnyC said:

God I haven't seen a nautilus pullover in at least a decade! Mind you, dumbbell pull overs are a great exercise, very overlooked

Biggest problem I have is that the weight stack of these modern machines are pathetic. I am not that strong and train for hypertrophy not strength but anybody with a few years experience can max out on leg extensions, pec deck, dedicated calf raise. Even a leg press machines is shocking. 140kg in my place which feels about 240kg of a plate leg press I'd imagine (fulcrums, angle of lift etc)

Also high street fitness first style gyms i see in London hardly never have dumbbells  weights past 25kg. The rents are too high for an old school gym and woman generally won't join these places so they have become very commercial.

usually the uglier the cliental are in a gym the better it is. 

The gym I used before my current gym had a 200kg low row machine, d/b’s up to 115kg EACH, the use of chalk was encouraged, they had plenty of weights no doubt. 

Current gym I have to remove the rubber protection collars to add more weight on various plate loading machines, especially the seated calf raise but I’ve known the owner for years and he knows and is ok with it as I respect his kit. I could use some slightly heavier d/b’s than he has but they’re sufficient. The moment they’re not is when I know it’s time to move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BLUE(UK) said:

The gym I used before my current gym had a 200kg low row machine, d/b’s up to 115kg EACH, the use of chalk was encouraged, they had plenty of weights no doubt. 

Current gym I have to remove the rubber protection collars to add more weight on various plate loading machines, especially the seated calf raise but I’ve known the owner for years and he knows and is ok with it as I respect his kit. I could use some slightly heavier d/b’s than he has but they’re sufficient. The moment they’re not is when I know it’s time to move on. 

I think the commercial aspect has taken over unfortunately, a chain gym needs thousands of members who barely go yet pay the monthly membership fee. They don't make much from guys who turn up 5 days a week and put their machines through their paces. rental space for a decent gym must be huge in busy cities given the floor area required so only the  virgin actives etc can compete with the high costs, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjtreml said:

what a load of crap :D

seriously wtf is this?imageproxy.php?img=&key=c87b51b55a16542d

Spiceball-Gym-a.jpg

See, I look at that environment and I’m anything but motivated. Feel you would have to pussyfoot about, no banging, grunting or anything without worry of being kicked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, benji666 said:

Funnily enough I work in a true spit and sawdust gym that even opened in the late 1960's,just around the time the golden era of bodybuilding started. We have all the equipment used back then, it's the sort of place where no one gives a f**k about the floor as it's underground. We get guys come in maybe once a week, who claim 'f**k modern gyms',how our gym is exactly what they have been looking for ,yet 95 percent of them never actually come back to have a go. And of that 5 percent maybe one of them will actually join up and carry on for more than 3 months. It's damp, it's musty, there are interesting spiders, it's freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot in the summer. Your hands stick to the barbells in winter. Most of our members have been training there decades. 

When people see the reality of training in my gym or yates temple gym no doubt the vast majority don't want to go there. There are no female members, and the lads who are brave enough to do a workout in our gym {and you need to be brave,to walk down those stairs first time  in the pitch black in the direction of the light ,and to the sounds of grunting groaning the crashing of weights and the swearing'. , some claim our weights are heavier than what they have in the other gyms . Our weights are in pounds also, none of the euro crap and we have a massive union jack on the wall. To be honest despite it's uniqueness Iam shocked we aren't busier as it's the perfect place to pack on size ,you don't have to really queue for anything and you can basically do anything down there. 

Like the sound of this place will give it a try, just one question, do you have Wi-Fi for the members?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, InAndOut said:

Haha you alright pal? Broke my phone that night and haven't got round to sorting apps out.

AE been serving you well ey! :thumb

Aha just checking your missus hadn't done you over! 

 

Treating me well but I took profit far to early unfortunately :/ still a month maker regardless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened a small gym 2 months ago as a sideline.

Crosstrainer, Assault Bike, Rowing Machine, No treadmill!

3 bay rig for squats, Hack Squat Machine, cable crossover, lat pull, cable row, adjustable bench press & Shoulder press. all plate loaded. dumbbells to 50kg, loads of plates, weighted cain and the usual accessories (kettle bells & stuff).

 

thought it would be a nice little hobby, get 30 members to cover overheads and ill have a gym to train in that has the stuff i like. 100 members in the first 6 weeks with zero advertising. shows what people think of the mainstream gyms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 3:48 PM, InAndOut said:

True, and you'll always have loads of empty treadmills and bikes, but the weights area is always overcrowded. Makes no sense!

Exactly that in my puregym. Even at peak time there are about 50 treadmills and bikes, and only about 10 being used at most. Retarded. A waste of money and gym space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sjacks said:

Careful with those dumbbells, don't strain anything, staff will be watching for health & safety purposes.

Yeah, fcuk modern gyms.

DFSDFSD.jpg

Maybe they’re for working the arms as you cycle, that’ll do the trick on those bingo wings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gym im at now is the best gym i have ever joined in my life. P1sses all over any commercial gym and has 8 power racks. They seriously knew wtf they were doing when they built it and the people and PTs there seriously know what they are doing. They aint no puregym wannabe PT skinny rats in uniforms.

 

 

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 09.19.40.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 12:30 PM, jjtreml said:

They have thousands of treadmills and cross trainers....and some of that crappy Precor machine equipment....members bitching and moaning about no Tv's in the gym, who goes to the gym to watch tv ffs?

Take me back to the Dorian Yates blood and guts temple style gym anyday of the week...not this snowflake modern crap.

just post a pic of yourself to see if you talk sense or crap .. so which one are you then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×