Mayzini

who gives advice at the gym

right I am in my forties been training for 20years and s qualified PT, my wife has competed. At the moment I am forced due to the family and work life to train in commercial 24 hour access gyms.  I cant help getting my attention drawn to so many people training either being dangerous or worthless.  I feel that i want to give advice to some of these youngsters but dont want to be that prat telling everyone what they are doing wrong ? 

do any of you offer advice to others at the GYM ?  especially if you see someone training dangerously ? 

i avoid talking to people at the gym in general. Greeks just dont know how to shut up once they get started haha 

i used to try to correct people when I saw sth dangerous but I don’t bother anymore. Most don’t appreciate it so they can bust their necks for all I care 

sounds like we are all the same then,  see loads of dangerous training but all just keep our heads down.   I just think I am getting old and would like to help some of these youngsters from either not hurting themselves or even better, enable them to get better results. I spent a few years training at the beginning doing crappy lifts and to much accessory work  and stuff like shrugs etc when I should have been doing compounds lifts. 

Don’t give advice myself  but received some invaluable advice yesterday from a seasoned bodybuilder at peak physique which potentially saves me a lot of injury and worthless training. 

Just now, chezzer said:

Don’t give advice myself  but received some invaluable advice yesterday from a seasoned bodybuilder at peak physique which potentially saves me a lot of injury and worthless training. 

this is it, I had the same years back and it was invaluable.  

I dont give advice, for a few reasons really...

It can be taken the wrong way.

I dont exactly look pro, so I doubt someone would actually listen and make it worth my time.

I prefer to laugh at the idiots.

It takes time out of my day, and time is training or money, if I am training with a friend then its another story.

If someone was directly to ask me, I would happily discuss and advise where I could. But I wont go out my way for a stranger if it isn't asked for. I wouldn't expect anyone to come over to me and start giving me the guru life talks either.

38 minutes ago, Mayzini said:

sounds like we are all the same then,  see loads of dangerous training but all just keep our heads down.   I just think I am getting old and would like to help some of these youngsters from either not hurting themselves or even better, enable them to get better results. I spent a few years training at the beginning doing crappy lifts and to much accessory work  and stuff like shrugs etc when I should have been doing compounds lifts. 

Try giving some friendly advice then. 

Let us know how it goes, we may all be pleasantly surprised and start chipping in ourselves.

6 minutes ago, Gary29 said:

Try giving some friendly advice then. 

Let us know how it goes, we may all be pleasantly surprised and start chipping in ourselves.

i might ill see if the local a&E has wifi first !! lols 

2 minutes ago, Mayzini said:

i might ill see if the local a&E has wifi first !! lols 

To be fair, an average pencil neck joe telling the rude boy yoot how to deadlift would be a dent to his tiny ego and he wouldn't want to 'lose face', but you might stand a better chance if you're huge yourself and appear intimidating.

Good luck, lets hope he wasn't paying attention in biology at school and doesn't know where your vital organs are located.

Just now, Gary29 said:

To be fair, an average pencil neck joe telling the rude boy yoot how to deadlift would be a dent to his tiny ego and he wouldn't want to 'lose face', but you might stand a better chance if you're huge yourself and appear intimidating.

Good luck, lets hope he wasn't paying attention in biology at school and doesn't know where your vital organs are located.

ha ha,  to be fair, other than when training late at night the commercial gym I train is full of students as there is a medical college right next door.   if anyone did stab me I would have about 20 trainee doctors trying to decide the right course of treatment !!! Lols 

my thoughts are they would probably just think stupid old bloke.   I am reasonable size not big by any means, but I am lifting heavier than 99% of the gym by a mile, which has led to a couple of the young guys coming an asking questions and a few things.   think I will stay out of it.  Just think the PT's in these gyms should do a bit more. there is one PT in there thats any good he goes round and helps out people. 

No, I give advice when people come up to me and ask (which is more often than I want) - but that's because I train in a cheap 24 hour gym and actually look like I lift.

Hate people that think they're some saviour telling people what to do/what's wrong - let them make their own mistakes and journey 

3 hours ago, Mayzini said:

right I am in my forties been training for 20years and s qualified PT, my wife has competed. At the moment I am forced due to the family and work life to train in commercial 24 hour access gyms.  I cant help getting my attention drawn to so many people training either being dangerous or worthless.  I feel that i want to give advice to some of these youngsters but dont want to be that prat telling everyone what they are doing wrong ? 

do any of you offer advice to others at the GYM ?  especially if you see someone training dangerously ? 

No.

It's a hiding to nothing.

No one can admit fault. More likely to start a fight than anything else.

No.

I have watched guys who obviously know what they're doing and have the proven results, and I have learned something by watching.

Others can do the same if they want, but most are comfortable with their "routines," even when they are sh1t or dangerous and they are not seeing any results over long periods of time.

I will if asked, and was recently by a skinny Indian guy who I could see watching me. He finally asked me some questions and I gave him my best advice. Turns out he was a cardiologist at the hospital next door, but despite being super-smart had absolutely no idea what he was doing. He told me he injured himself doing dumbbell curls because a "professional" told him he would only get big if he lifted really heavy.

6 hours ago, anna1 said:

i avoid talking to people at the gym in general. Greeks just dont know how to shut up once they get started haha 

i used to try to correct people when I saw sth dangerous but I don’t bother anymore. Most don’t appreciate it so they can bust their necks for all I care 

Alright love your not doing squats right I'm a man I know how it's done let me touch your ass and assist you in your squats. Lol do you ever get guys like that?

2 hours ago, TinTin10 said:

Saw a guy smashing the weight up and locking out his legs on the leg press.......

Was literally about to say something to him, then I noticed he had Arsenal shorts on.

c**t can get f**ked.

I look away when people lockout on leg press 

If you ain't related to it by blood or marriage, then live and let die. Their well-being is not your concern. Let them try to sue the gym for inadequate instruction, see how far they get.

3 minutes ago, nWo said:

If they've not got the common sense to not train dangerously then IDGAF if they get hurt tbh.

It's not commonsense mate. It's research by asking people who look like they've been doing it for years. Guys like that will always share info.

Problem is that not enough people ask cos theyre too proud or already know everything.

I'm glad that SkinnyIndianCardiologist asked @UK2USA. That was an investment in protecting his one and only body.

23 minutes ago, Jack of blades said:

Alright love your not doing squats right I'm a man I know how it's done let me touch your ass and assist you in your squats. Lol do you ever get guys like that?

Occasionally, there ‘s always some smart @ss hanging about willing to “ help out “ haha

I have a few people asking me, just for tips on form with exercises mainly, they ask how many sets I do etc etc, I don't mind at all giving my opinion but the thing is everyones body is different and what works for me ,may not work for others. And really an example  I can give is squats I go below parallel, Iam a tall guy and I find going below parallel actually put less strain on the lower back and knees, yet I used to get several know it alls come up to me and say Iam squatting 'wrong', I used to go to parallel and it played havoc with my knees and back. 

I once had someone noticed I was doing behind the neck presses and act like I was about to put myself in a wheelchair. Thats the thing, unless I saw someone doing something so stupid it was immiently going to risk their life or someone elses life/is going to damage equipment , I keep my mouth shut, no matter how silly it looks to me. 

The things I  will confront people about are leaving weight plates and dumbells lying around, and trying to get a free workout, giving fake names, and one time I confronted someone who made fun of a lads weight,and how much weight he was putting on the bar for benching . I run the gym for my mate and I train there myself, don't want that kind of s**t in a gym as in my view it sours the atmos . After I confronted him in front of everyone else in the gym , he went whining to my mate, who after speaking to me about it told him to find another gym .The lads father came down and shook my hand for sticking up for his son, so it's worth speaking up and it helps give a gym a good rep.