helterskelter_02

Hello, I need advice on a delicate topic

Hello, i have browsed the forums for a long time and never had the courage to register. well here i am. Basically this will sound weird but ill just cut to the chase. I have  developed a fear of sweating. Mainly sweating when im visible to other people. it sounds crazy but i have. I have been cycling 100miles a week, i have been using the sauna and steam room to try and overcome this bizzare fear that is wreaking havoc in my life.Although i do complete these tasks i still seem to be preoccupied with others possible judgements. I am ok when im alone but i really want to try to use the other equipment and that means facing my fears and sweating like a Bstard infront of everybody. A light glistening of sweat isnt my trouble its as if ive showered. . Long story is when i was around 18, im 31 now, i was experimenting with drugs. the night ended with me in a cold shower with all my clothes on freaking out and over heating. since then i have felt increasingly afraid when ever i feel slightly warm. I have seen various doctors and been prescribed various medications but i thought the advice i might get here will be better than all of that. I sweat an enormous amount when doing any physical excercise which is why i tended to not bother. but i am now determined to break this habit and push on. I just needed some advice or feedback from regular gym goers. I signed up at my local gym today, i had my induction today and cycled around 13 miles in 26 minutes. i was drenched through and felt like everybody was watching. Im not expecting any therapy from anybody but just maybe some tips and advice on how to not care about anything whilst i am in the gym around other people. 

Thank you very much for your time guys. 

Just make sure your clean so the sweat is fresh use deodorant.  Take a towel to wipe face. Clean up the equipment and and floor drips when your finished.  When I do HIIT  training I nearly need a mop. No one is bothered in the slightest. If people are looking just assume there impressed by how hard your working. 

If you are worried that you are going to overheat again then don't, sweating is the bodies way of cooling you down, completely normal, if you didn't sweat that's when you should be worrying about overheating, and unless you OD on illicit substances, or workout in 100 degree heat without a fan or water, then you are not going to overheat to the point of being ill like you did on drugs

thank you for the replies. my sweat never smells funnily enough. its just embarrassing for me that there is so much.  i think i just need to start to believe the fact that nobody is watching or analysing me. im new to all the gym stuff. but thank you again for the replies

Hello Helter Skelter,

I feel your pain - I can break out in a sweat in a self conscious way. The more I think about it, the more I sweat. 

I've tried numerous products and help ideas, but the only thing I have found to truly work is Odanban antiperspirant.

Directions are to only use it a few times a week, but I find that if I have an intense gym session, it will hold back most of the sweat but the effects wear off by the next day. 

As such, I apply it every weeknight before bed - works a treat and keeps me very dry. Its safe enough to use on all of your body too. Just make sure you have a shower the morning after applying it. 

thanks for reply.. i was using driclor. but as the majority of the sweat is facial it irritates my face. i think the key though is to detatch from the shame of it. i know its normal and some people sweat more than others. and if theres any place on earth sweating is ok it is in a gym. i think it will take me time to ignore it. and ill have to keep my towel handy and just dry my head off periodically. for some reason i seem to feel ashamed of it. but thats just me. thanks again

21 hours ago, helterskelter_02 said:

thanks for reply.. i was using driclor. but as the majority of the sweat is facial it irritates my face. i think the key though is to detatch from the shame of it. i know its normal and some people sweat more than others. and if theres any place on earth sweating is ok it is in a gym. i think it will take me time to ignore it. and ill have to keep my towel handy and just dry my head off periodically. for some reason i seem to feel ashamed of it. but thats just me. thanks again

I sweat like a pig when I work out . But generally I move around all day and I reeeeaally sweat when its hot . 

I kinda like it . Makes me feel that I've worked hard enough . 

Nevertheless in areas that are more sensitive you could try using botox 

it works miracles . 

Talk to a good dermatologist / plastic surgeon about it 

x

1 minute ago, Plate said:

You can't sweat if you don't drink fluids

science bitches 

I struggle to drink water . I have to keep reminding myself otherwise I can go all day without a drop . 

I still sweat

4 minutes ago, anna1 said:

I struggle to drink water . I have to keep reminding myself otherwise I can go all day without a drop . 

I still sweat

I mean full stop

Side affects may include death*

We have antibacterial cleaner and paper towels dotted around our gym. There is no air conditioning, so is sweltering in the summer. Nearly everybody is caked in sweat. As long as you wipe down the equipment afterwards i don't think anybody can complain really. Your anxiety of it is probably making it worse. Personally i'd be more bothered by somebody who stank of bo, rather than a sweating mess.

3rd session in the place today. im still pretty conscious about it all. but as ive never really set foot in a gym and know nothing really about exercise i just stick on the bikes. i managed 9 miles today in half hour. i suppose when your doing lots of cardio you are bound to sweat alot. im trying to flip it round in my head as to maybe the dry non sweaters arent working as hard as me.. like i say thanks anyway for the feedback

That’s most likely true, i only use the gym for the weights and need to carry a towel round with me to put on the bench as after that 1st set I look like I’ve just got out of a swimming pool, yes I do get some funny looks but I just say in my head! I’m here to train, to get stronger, to better myself. I’m not here for any one else so f**k it and train harder. No one has ever complained to me about my sweat but then I do mop up after myself.

I have 6 different micro fibre gym towels as I take 2 with me on each gym visit then put in wash.