Sams

Shoulder Op next week - Latarjet Procedure

Having this done next Friday,  due to reoccurring dislocations. 

Anyone had this done? What was recovery, pain and life in a sling for a while like. 

How long until you were back to normal?

Hi mate I had the latarjet 5 years ago on my right shoulder. The pain afterwards wasn't too bad easily managed with painkillers and only for a few weeks. 

It's hard sleeping with the sling and alot less painful if sat up in a reclining chair rather than laid on a bed. 

I was off work for 18 months and I still wasn't back too full strength at all at that point. 

Range of movement wasn't as good but I've noticed over the years training since it has got better. 

Anything else just ask mate. 

And to top it off I had another shoulder rebuild on the left side about 4 weeks ago. When I went for the stitches out found I had a big abcess under the wound.

Ended up in hospital for 9 days and 3 more ops cutting bits out and on a drip. 

And now I've got to wait for the infection to totally clear before finding out if I need the original op redoing.

36 minutes ago, danb900 said:

And to top it off I had another shoulder rebuild on the left side about 4 weeks ago. When I went for the stitches out found I had a big abcess under the wound.

Ended up in hospital for 9 days and 3 more ops cutting bits out and on a drip. 

And now I've got to wait for the infection to totally clear before finding out if I need the original op redoing.

s**t man, hope all is good for you. 

I don't do manual work, so hoping to be back to work a lot sooner, like 3 weeks post op. 

Was you able to move around and do things a few days after the op? or did you have to stay indoors? - If so how long for?

How long until you could lift weights in the gym again?

Let me know how the abcess goes, crazy they missed that

You should be fine 3 weeks after if not manual work. I was moving about after a few days but took a good while before I could even carry a cup in that hand. 

Lifting could have been started after may be a year but restricted to certain exercises although I had a break from lifting so didn't go straight back into it.

I still can't do heavy shoulder press but other shoulder exercises are fine. And I can't squat with the bar behind my head as I have got the rom to hold the bar there. 

Just now, danb900 said:

You should be fine 3 weeks after if not manual work. I was moving about after a few days but took a good while before I could even carry a cup in that hand. 

Lifting could have been started after may be a year but restricted to certain exercises although I had a break from lifting so didn't go straight back into it.

I still can't do heavy shoulder press but other shoulder exercises are fine. And I can't squat with the bar behind my head as I have got the rom to hold the bar there. 

Ok thanks mate. appreciated. 

I have been signed off work for 3 weeks and they won't have me back due to liability etc. 

So after 3/4 days of being indoors, I can go out and about in my sling? (assuming the pain isn't to bad)

Just now, danb900 said:

My right bicep wasn't the same afterwards aswell. Since the op it's been lagging a full inch behind the other arm and doesn't look the same.

I haven't lifted properly since I cam off the roids over a year ago, so never expect to be big again, just worried about getting fat doing f**k all and not even lifting recreationally. 

1 minute ago, Sams said:

Ok thanks mate. appreciated. 

I have been signed off work for 3 weeks and they won't have me back due to liability etc. 

So after 3/4 days of being indoors, I can go out and about in my sling? (assuming the pain isn't to bad)

Depending how you feel you can go out and about the day after if your up to it. I'm good with anaesthetic etc and was on my way home a hour and half after coming out of recovery. 

That was my main downfall I say doing f**k all for all that time and diet was none existent.

I went from 17 stone looking well to nearly 22 stone of a mess. This time that won't be happening lol. Diet will be kept right and cardio and legs done until I can train. 

1 minute ago, danb900 said:

Depending how you feel you can go out and about the day after if your up to it. I'm good with anaesthetic etc and was on my way home a hour and half after coming out of recovery. 

Nice one mate, thats good to know. 

I thought I had to stay in bed for two weeks bored out of my mind. 

It's my right shoulder so can't do much.  Was thinking if I could still go down the pub in that week lol

1 minute ago, danb900 said:

That was my main downfall I say doing f**k all for all that time and diet was none existent.

I went from 17 stone looking well to nearly 22 stone of a mess. This time that won't be happening lol. Diet will be kept right and cardio and legs done until I can train. 

s**t man, thats exactly what I am like already and 1 week away from the op, not been gym in 3 weeks and no diet and can feel it already on stomach. 

FFS, gonna have to do cardio and legs as soon as I can as well

6 minutes ago, danb900 said:

Yeh you'll be fine to go out and move around mate. 

I was in the best shape of my life 7 weeks ago before my crash and even though weight hasn't changed I look and feel s**t already. 

Probably more in your mind than anything pal. 

Just follow your own advice and try and watch what you eat and get back to cardio when you came. 

Hope you have a speedy recovery. 

and thanks for the advice,  at least I know I won't be stuck indoors now, I live in London so a lot of stuff to go and see in the day when everyone is at work lol

Went ok mate, no real pain, so came off the meds 3 days in, movement of arm is very very weak and restricted but will have to wait for physio for this i suppose.

only problem is i went out friday and had a few beers, sine them any movement of the arm seems to hurt more.

How you getting on?

On 09/10/2017 at 10:39 AM, Sams said:

Went ok mate, no real pain, so came off the meds 3 days in, movement of arm is very very weak and restricted but will have to wait for physio for this i suppose.

only problem is i went out friday and had a few beers, sine them any movement of the arm seems to hurt more.

How you getting on?

Could have maybe knocked it without realising has it eased off now?

Physio is going well for me just doing assisted movement now to get full range back before starting any strengthening.

And the hole is finally nearly finished healing thank God so hoping to he able to start doing cardio and legs again sometime this week. 

Thats good news mate, slow progress is the only way by the sounds of it for this kind of thing. Hoe many sessions / weeks have you had physio?

Looks like once your back doing cardio, you should feel mentally better as well. 

The scar I have is fu**ing mental mate, when I show it shocks them, I kind of like it. 

Pain is there only with certain movements, but thats most probably because my Range of Movement is pretty much next to nothing. 

I have my first physic session today for an hour, so expecting to be hurting after that, my brother wanted to grab a couple beers after but think I will be in too much pain (so I am told?)

Then see my surgeon Thursday and will be back to work next week, probably first week working from home. 

Getting used to the chilling at home doing f**k all life style now lol

On 15 October 2017 at 9:12 PM, danb900 said:

Could have maybe knocked it without realising has it eased off now?

Physio is going well for me just doing assisted movement now to get full range back before starting any strengthening.

And the hole is finally nearly finished healing thank God so hoping to he able to start doing cardio and legs again sometime this week. 

Quick question mate - Can you remember how many physio sessions you needed after the op?

because I live in London and its not covered under my insurance I have to pay, its £78 per 30 mins, so could work out fu**ing expensive. 

She said I will need to see her for 6 months but could be 12 sessions +

23 hours ago, Sams said:

Quick question mate - Can you remember how many physio sessions you needed after the op?

because I live in London and its not covered under my insurance I have to pay, its £78 per 30 mins, so could work out fu**ing expensive. 

She said I will need to see her for 6 months but could be 12 sessions +

I had physio every week for months mate.

I've got pretty much full movement now so we started this week bringing the muscles back to life so I can get cracking with it 

Just now, danb900 said:

I had physio every week for months mate.

I've got pretty much full movement now so we started this week bringing the muscles back to life so I can get cracking with it 

Good to hear about the muscle mate. 

Didn't realise it would require that much physio though. 

Unless there is a complete full thickness tear of a tendon, do not waste your time with surgery. The underlying cause of any injuries spotted will remain unaddressed after surgery, and it'll reoccur. You have to teach the scapula to move properly during humeral articulation. THere is no simple fix under the knife. 

Now if there IS a full thickness tear (complete), you need surgery. But the underlying issues still remain and must be addressed. Unfortunately, there are so few therapists that adequately assess and recover scapular motion, that you're better off learning it yourself.

8 hours ago, Kjetil1234 said:

Unless there is a complete full thickness tear of a tendon, do not waste your time with surgery. The underlying cause of any injuries spotted will remain unaddressed after surgery, and it'll reoccur. You have to teach the scapula to move properly during humeral articulation. THere is no simple fix under the knife. 

Now if there IS a full thickness tear (complete), you need surgery. But the underlying issues still remain and must be addressed. Unfortunately, there are so few therapists that adequately assess and recover scapular motion, that you're better off learning it yourself.

Mine was bone loss through dislocations, so wasn't tendons I don't believe. 

Anyway, had the op now so a bit too late.

Looking at my right arm now it literally has lost all muscle, my left you can still see a bicep, its crazy