Car people

Set off home from work the other night. Thought I heard/felt something hit the car. Wasn't sure if I'd driven into something in the road or something had fallen off the car. For a moment I thought I had a puncture. 

Anyway, gets a few streets away and I can feel a vibrating and I get a noise that sounds like a kid who's put a plastic drink carton in between their bike frame and back tyre. This sound only sounds when I accelerate. It's coming from the front drivers side. At first I thought maybe my arch liner had come loose and was resting on the tyre but no. 

Any idea? It's a Megane sport 225. 

5 minutes ago, Haunted_Sausage said:

The problems obvious!!

its a Renault ;)

I'd only had the fu**ing hub bearing done that very morning. All smiles cos I had nice smooth steering again then this s**t happens to the other side!

2 minutes ago, sen said:

Have another read mate! 

Sorry I missed that! I would think you've got a pot hole in the road or a big rock or something, which has maybe buckled your wheel and thrown it off balance. If your spare is a full alloy or even if it's not. Swap and see how that is? 

If I was a betting man I would say that's the issue here

Just now, Haunted_Sausage said:

Sorry I missed that! I would think you've got a pot hole in the road or a big rock or something, which has maybe buckled your wheel and thrown it off balance. If your spare is a full alloy or even if it's not. Swap and see how that is? 

The vibrating is shaking the dashboard to f**k. Surely too much for a buckled wheel? The wheel rotation:vibration ratio is way off. Not even one full turn of the wheel and the car I shaking like f**k. 

2 minutes ago, Haunted_Sausage said:

The vibrating is shaking the dashboard to f**k. Surely too much for a buckled wheel? The wheel rotation:vibration ratio is way off. Not even one full turn of the wheel and the car I shaking like f**k. 

Try jacking the car of the ground and spinning the wheel by hand(make sure its not in gear) also try and move the wheel from side to side.

But 1st check to see if all the wheel nuts are tight, people are notorious for leaving nuts loose 

If it's a buckled wheel it can be almost undriveable.

if you take it to any tyre place ask them to balance it and they will tell you straight away any or will either be free or just a couple of quid.

out of balance can be bad, buckled can be fu**ing horrendous.

are they standard alloys or aftermarket?  

Just now, Haunted_Sausage said:

If it's a buckled wheel it can be almost undriveable.

if you take it to any tyre place ask them to balance it and they will tell you straight away any or will either be free or just a couple of quid.

out of balance can be bad, buckled can be fu**ing horrendous.

are they standard alloys or aftermarket?  

After market. Nearly brand new! That would explain the noise I heard. 

Just now, sen said:

After market. Nearly brand new! That would explain the noise I heard. 

Ahhhh aftermarkets are terrible for buckling! Ive had 2 buckle on my A8 in 27,000 miles in 1 year! One is in the boot I need to get straightened and the one that's on it starts vibrating at 70-80mph so can live with it at the moment.

for that very reason I'm looking for genuine Audi alloys :(

1 minute ago, popeye1982 said:

Try jacking the car of the ground and spinning the wheel by hand(make sure its not in gear) also try and move the wheel from side to side.

But 1st check to see if all the wheel nuts are tight, people are notorious for leaving nuts loose 

I changed all the nuts that day so was thinking maybe they were too long and hitting the discs or something but then they'd all be doing it. I checked them all when I pulled over to investigate but it was dark and I couldn't be assed jacking the fucker up. 

1 minute ago, sen said:

I changed all the nuts that day so was thinking maybe they were too long and hitting the discs or something but then they'd all be doing it. I checked them all when I pulled over to investigate but it was dark and I couldn't be assed jacking the fucker up. 

Discs are in front of the hub, your studs/bolts go through the disc and are screwed in to the hub. Bolting your wheel on holds them all together.  If there was physical play within the hub and wheel you'll easily feel it if you jack it up. Might even feel it with the wheels on the ground. Depends how strong your feeling lol 

Just nip to kwik fit first thing tomorrow and you'll see it's buckled. I'll put £20 on it just fromwhat you've told me, im that confident! Annoying as f**k I know but Ive had so many aftermarket alloysbuckle from pot holes it's not even funny! Find somewhere local that will straighten them for you and cross your fingers they can do it

7 minutes ago, popeye1982 said:

Discs are in front of the hub, your studs/bolts go through the disc and are screwed in to the hub. Bolting your wheel on holds them all together.  If there was physical play within the hub and wheel you'll easily feel it if you jack it up. Might even feel it with the wheels on the ground. Depends how strong your feeling lol 

s**t yeah. fu**ing hell. I should know this, I changed the discs and pads on it. 

7 minutes ago, 1shoe said:

drive shafts gone /going 

This is what I thought.  Apparently lowering them puts the drive shaft at a funny angle on the drivers side and puts strain on them   

If the bolts are too long they would bottom out in the treads on the hub and then wouldn't pull everything up tight enough. That's a possibility. If all this has come about since you've changed a few bits 

3 hours ago, popeye1982 said:

If the bolts are too long they would bottom out in the treads on the hub and then wouldn't pull everything up tight enough. That's a possibility. If all this has come about since you've changed a few bits 

Renault are tapped all the way through, even a bit of rusty thread would get cleaned out by a wheel bolt and torque wrench at 130nm (specified torque for 225 wheel nuts from memory)... but if they weren't tight enough in the first place it's very possible there's some play now as the alloys have settled on the hub

id suspect a driveshaft or a buckled wheel, the driveshaft has three lobes so if you get get 3 wobbles per wheel rotation your on the right track!

its the noise that's making me think it's not a wheel that's buckled, as generally a buckled wheel won't make a noise to speak off, dodgy tyres can but generally wheels won't unless they are loose as said... but that doesn't tend to make a vibration that can be felt, more like a clicking you can hear

ill chime in tomorrow evening to find out what's been left undone :D 

9 hours ago, sen said:

I'd only had the fu**ing hub bearing done that very morning. All smiles cos I had nice smooth steering again then this s**t happens to the other side!

I've got a spare bearng if it turns out you need one bud. 

10 hours ago, sen said:

This sound only sounds when I accelerate.

To clarify, does it only happen while you are accelerating and then stop if you maintain a steady higher speed? Or do you mean it only happens when you're traveling faster? The replies so far seem to fit more with the latter but I read your post as the former?

11 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

To clarify, does it only happen while you are accelerating and then stop if you maintain a steady higher speed? Or do you mean it only happens when you're traveling faster? The replies so far seem to fit more with the latter but I read your post as the former?

Cv joint still my favourite, noisier under load and if a roller has detonated it'd cause all manner of noises (now I've slept on it)

1 minute ago, superdrol said:

Cv joint still my favourite, noisier under load and if a roller has detonated it'd cause all manner of noises (now I've slept on it)

I was thinking in terms of the tyre/wheel related comments.

(I'm not a 'car person' though, just trying to make sure something wasn't being missed.)

Just now, Ultrasonic said:

I was thinking in terms of the tyre/wheel related comments.

(I'm not a 'car person' though, just trying to make sure something wasn't being missed.)

It's a very good point, if it's under acceleration only then drive train makes sense (hub or wheel nuts, driveshafts, gbox etc, if it's worse when going faster and increases with speed then wheels are in the mix