UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Dogbolt 
#1 ·
Hi,

im trying to calculate roughly what weight I should be at 10%BF.

I'm 182lb (from bathroom scales), 17%BF (from an online calculator).

(my current weight * body fat) 182 * 0.17 = 30.94 LB of Fat
(leaves Lean Body Mass remaining) 182 - 30.95 = 151.05 LBM

For a Given BF% what is the formula to calculate what my weight should be if I want to be 10%BF

thanks

#6 ·
no it doesn't really matter, I just want to understand the process and formula oh how I calculate what I'm trying to do.

so I if wanted to be at 12% Body Fat all I need to do, is work out my Lean Body Mass then + 12% i.e. 151.05 + 12% = 171.64

thanks

#12 ·
Hi Ultrasonic,

how would you suggest I calculate this, I would like to know... if I wanted to be at 10% BF from 17% BF how much weight would I need to loose
I would suggest it's pointless to even try as you don't know your current body fat is 17%. That figure could easily be off by 5 percentage points and very possibly more.

Getting to close to 10% is all about aesthetics, so just try to lose enough to get the look you want.

#11 ·
From a pure mathematical point of view the answers above aren't exactly correct.

To get from a LBM to a total body mass at 10% fat you need to divide by 0.9 not multiply by 1.1. (The difference is small though, with 1/0.9 = 1.111111...)

The distinction being you want the LBM to be 10% less than the total body mass, which is not the same as the total body mass being 10% higher than the LBM. The difference gets larger for higher body fat percentages.

#13 ·
From a pure mathematical point of view the answers above aren't exactly correct.

To get from a LBM to a total body mass at 10% fat you need to divide by 0.9 not multiply by 1.1. (The difference is small though, with 1/0.9 = 1.111111...)

The distinction being you want the LBM to be 10% less than the total body mass, which is not the same as the total body mass being 10% higher than the LBM. The difference gets larger for higher body fat percentages.
okay appreciate your point on the second reply, to aesthetically look good I just need to try to lose enough to get the look I want.

just for my own mathematical interest. the calculation would be....

Roughly speaking....... To be at 10%BF, currently weighing in at 182lb basing on I'm 17%BF.... would be 151.05lb of LBM / 0.9 = 167.8lb of LBM Goal

thanks

#18 ·
Hi,

im trying to calculate roughly what weight I should be at 10%BF.

I'm 182lb (from bathroom scales), 17%BF (from an online calculator).

(my current weight * body fat) 182 * 0.17 = 30.94 LB of Fat
(leaves Lean Body Mass remaining) 182 - 30.95 = 151.05 LBM

For a Given BF% what is the formula to calculate what my weight should be if I want to be 10%BF

thanks
Post a pic and many on here can estimate your current BF as it could be out by easily up to 10%

#22 ·
208lb - (208x0.184) = 169.73lb of fat free mass

169.73/0.91= 186.516lb at 9% if you lost pure fat and no muscle/anything else that wasn't fat

@Tricky
Thanks very much! Numbers and formulas weren't my strong point unless i asked for a pint and the bar man somewhere in Europe gave me 500ml I would complain to the wife I've been done out of 68ml lol

i started cutting at 225lbs and set myself a goal of 185 which I thought would have me pretty lean so by your calculation my estimate was bang on. I'm on 50mcg t3, 300mg test and 250mg DNp with protein min 180 but more like 200-220 most days so I shouldn't be losing muscle between now and the end of this cut

#24 ·
2 things I would add.

Don't get to caught up in bf %, really the mirror is the ultimate decider. We all are guilty of quoting percentages but end of the day what you look like is the most important point.

As you get to low bf really have a good set of abs and obliques "ready". You will look awesome. I always train abs and core a lot as I like it and its great strength training for my lower back issues. Now I have lost weight they are really starting to show good definition. Before, they were just covered by a layer fat.

Looking at the logs on here and people's training routines, core ranges from none to the bare minimum for many. (Unless maybe they are not just including them on their posts, but I certainly see guys in the gym never training them)

#25 ·
Looking at the logs on here and people's training routines, core ranges from none to the bare minimum for many. (Unless maybe they are not just including them on their posts, but I certainly see guys in the gym never training them)
Plenty of people have decent looking abs without ever directly training them. Another factor is people not wanting to make their waists bigger.

That's not to say most probably wouldn't benefit from genuine core training for functional reasons.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Plenty of people have decent looking abs without ever directly training them. Another factor is people not wanting to make their waists bigger.

That's not to say most probably wouldn't benefit from genuine core training for functional reasons.
Not sure if I agree with that. Most muscles need to be trained directly. It's not a small muscle group.

Unless you do to very heavy weights like cable crunches or use a load of gear abs don't grow massively

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.