Wheyman

operation save uk-muscle

Now I have seen threads on the lack of new "users"  on uk muscle and we dont want to act like a new muscle talk that stagnates so I thought i would share my knowledge of where uk muscle gets its traffic. Call me geeky but this is powerful as if we want to remake this forum well trafficked again we can use this knowledge to create posts that will get more traffic more people more fun more comments etc

now the software i use costs thousands a year so please dont slate me for wanting this to happen i want this community to grow full stop. now re adding posts to the most visited from google will get  new people in. adding new posts to where we rank well in google will attract new users. please use this information to gain us fresh users. 

if you want the full file i have it pm me. but basically see a good ranking post, add a new post and hope new people find it and join, the more we do this the more this forum will grow. 

I have tried to upload the posts that rank but the file is to big please pvt me for the file 

i have an excel file with all the rankings for posts that rank well i cant seem to add it but this forum ranks no 1 for s**t loads of old post that could be rejuvenated that would help attract new users please pm for this

Just now, jake87 said:

You forgot the referral link mate 

you are funny mate but this forum is dieing but i cant tell you were we can grow from 

14 minutes ago, Wheyman said:

you are funny mate but this forum is dieing but i cant tell you were we can grow from 

Its doing OK. Steroids forum is constantly ticking over as is gen chat aswell as most of the sub forums. There are a lot of members that do not use gen chat at all 

The login needs fixing instead of just referring people to that sticky.

People that are new to UKM and not that invested in the place aren't likely to spend time researching why they can't login with their email or select 'remember me' when it says they can.

Until that's fixed what seems like a small issue will prevent the community from growing.

I think the sites always gonna be quite niche though with it being so drug friendly.

I hope i have understood your post correctly, correct me if i am wrong.

This forum is still a lot better than other forums IMO. Has the right kind of mixture when it comes to kind of users. And, i still feel if a new user is serious about his or her goals, he will find a content that would be useful for him irrespective of whether he is involved in new threads or not. A new user would always look for a read rather than posting. So, counting the traffic on the basis of posting would not give a correct picture.

Bumping old threads won't generate more content/users, it will just generate more traffic at best.

At worst it just fills the first pages full of old threads, which is counterproductive to making a forum busier.

10 hours ago, Wheyman said:

Now I have seen threads on the lack of new "users"  on uk muscle and we dont want to act like a new muscle talk that stagnates so I thought i would share my knowledge of where uk muscle gets its traffic. Call me geeky but this is powerful as if we want to remake this forum well trafficked again we can use this knowledge to create posts that will get more traffic more people more fun more comments etc

now the software i use costs thousands a year so please dont slate me for wanting this to happen i want this community to grow full stop. now re adding posts to the most visited from google will get  new people in. adding new posts to where we rank well in google will attract new users. please use this information to gain us fresh users. 

if you want the full file i have it pm me. but basically see a good ranking post, add a new post and hope new people find it and join, the more we do this the more this forum will grow. 

I have tried to upload the posts that rank but the file is to big please pvt me for the file 

Seen as how you are Pro UK-M , Is this a free service you are offering or would you require some form of payment? 

Maybe I'm missing something but as far as I can see you've started a thread to tell us precisely nothing? Other than perhaps that you have access to a moderately expensive piece of software.

Maybe if you started a thread with some bodybuilding or strength training related content this might do more for the forum?

(Lorain does look at site traffic info. BTW. This was a factor in moving to the current version of the forum.)

6 hours ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

This forum is still a lot better than other forums IMO. Has the right kind of mixture when it comes to kind of users. 

Best forum I ever used.

If the forum went down, I'd have to go to the trouble and expense of getting some real-life friends!

6 minutes ago, Oioi said:

Your kind ain't welcome here aha

Zackly why I'm here.

Like your wife's boyfriend's jizz  stuck to your blanket.

Or a pork butcher's in Saudi.

Or a bastard at a family reunion.

Or a bruddah at a Koo Kluck Klayyan meetin. 

13 hours ago, Wheyman said:

re adding posts to the most visited from google will get  new people in.

adding new posts to where we rank well in google will attract new users.

Can you clarify these two statements... seems a bit nonsensical to me. Probably just the way you've worded them.

I think what you are referring to is you have data showing what the most visited pages from search engines are, and as a result adding extra content to these pages. If so I'm pretty sure that Lorien would have access to all that data from Google Analytics already.

If you were going to add content to the top landing pages (for not logged in users) then you might as well do it for all pages... as that would be much less work as it'd just be a template change.

Skipping over that though I feel fairly confident in saying a UI tweak is not going to change the fortunes of UKM significantly.

Of course UI (and SEO) will always be a factor for forums - for revenue from lurkers and (along with UX) will also help optimise the conversion rate of lurkers to active users... but there are many other elements that are much more important to an established site like this. Engagement with the community (users... especially knowledgeable ones) and moderation are two biggies.

While obviously forums will require new users, they are not what gives the place soul... it's the current users and how they are managed that forms this.

What I would concentrate on is building a loyal and knowledgeable team of mods and users, and keeping happy the ones you already have. Becoming active on other platforms like Instagram, sponsoring events, stands at exhibitions, competitions, merchandise, meet ups etc. What all this requires though is time, motivation and drive to get out and about and active off line as well as on.

There have been 2 mass exoduses since I've been here... TM and TD. First one took a stupid amount of knowledge with it and the second took a lot of high posters. Lots of other members prominent members that gave value to the site have disappeared (for whatever reasons). I'm not really interested in the politics of the place, so don't know exactly why all this has happened... maybe it was for the good of the place, I dunno.

The landscape is always evolving too... there was no FB, insta or youtube in days gone by.

Lorien used to be much more active in the past too... I'd guess he has many other business ventures and UKM just earns a nice steady bit of holiday money.

Non of the above is a criticism of UKM, just observations.

i agree with most of the above points on the forum ticking over nicely

ive posted on many forums over the years and this has one of the most welcoming gen con / misc sections 

some forums its literally nothing but piss taking and trolling (this tends to get worse the more members there are) 

this forum strikes a nice balance, the members and new users fluctuate but thats the case with all forums you just dont notice it with the likes of bb.com having a ridiculous head count 

my only gripe is the strength community in here is pretty low, im not about to start posting in lbs over in the yank forums but there  must be what 10 people on here that are primarily into strength training 

but i know that cant be helped by the admins, just need more of you fluff and pump gym sharks to start getting into squatting til your nose bleeds 

8 minutes ago, swole troll said:

but i know that cant be helped by the admins, just need more of you fluff and pump gym sharks to start getting into squatting til your nose bleeds 

How about breaking your arm in an arm wrestle and then insisting the other guy forfeited because he took his hand off of the table. 

24 minutes ago, 2004mark said:

Can you clarify these two statements... seems a bit nonsensical to me. Probably just the way you've worded them.

I think what you are referring to is you have data showing what the most visited pages from search engines are, and as a result adding extra content to these pages. If so I'm pretty sure that Lorien would have access to all that data from Google Analytics already.

If you were going to add content to the top landing pages (for not logged in users) then you might as well do it for all pages... as that would be much less work as it'd just be a template change.

Skipping over that though I feel fairly confident in saying a UI tweak is not going to change the fortunes of UKM significantly.

Of course UI (and SEO) will always be a factor for forums - for revenue from lurkers and (along with UX) will also help optimise the conversion rate of lurkers to active users... but there are many other elements that are much more important to an established site like this. Engagement with the community (users... especially knowledgeable ones) and moderation are two biggies.

While obviously forums will require new users, they are not what gives the place soul... it's the current users and how they are managed that forms this.

What I would concentrate on is building a loyal and knowledgeable team of mods and users, and keeping happy the ones you already have. Becoming active on other platforms like Instagram, sponsoring events, stands at exhibitions, competitions, merchandise, meet ups etc. What all this requires though is time, motivation and drive to get out and about and active off line as well as on.

There have been 2 mass exoduses since I've been here... TM and TD. First one took a stupid amount of knowledge with it and the second took a lot of high posters. Lots of other members prominent members that gave value to the site have disappeared (for whatever reasons). I'm not really interested in the politics of the place, so don't know exactly why all this has happened... maybe it was for the good of the place, I dunno.

The landscape is always evolving too... there was no FB, insta or youtube in days gone by.

Lorien used to be much more active in the past too... I'd guess he has many other business ventures and UKM just earns a nice steady bit of holiday money.

Non of the above is a criticism of UKM, just observations.

What's TD?