UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Permanently knackered - shall I decrease cardio?

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Gabebd1985 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bloods came back OK (I posted results) so no hormonal, BP or chol issues.

I'm doing 5km in 33-37 minutes at 9am daily. Not for fat loss but for stretching out heart and lung capacity. "Cardio" and "vascular", see?

At 6pm I'm doing either whole body EoD or calisthenics EoD.

Sundays I don't do any cardio or weights or calisthenics.

I'm eating more than usual BUT I'm always knackered. By 10pm I can't focus on the TV and just go to bed. Plus I'm horizontal when not in the gym.

Shall I reduce the cardiovascular to 2.5km ed to release energy for my daily duties?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bloods came back OK (I posted results) so no hormonal, BP or chol issues.

I'm doing 5km in 33-37 minutes at 9am daily. Not for fat loss but for stretching out heart and lung capacity. "Cardio" and "vascular", see?

At 6pm I'm doing either whole body EoD or calisthenics EoD.

Sundays I don't do any cardio or weights or calisthenics.

I'm eating more than usual BUT I'm always knackered. By 10pm I can't focus on the TV and just go to bed. Plus I'm horizontal when not in the gym.

Shall I reduce the cardiovascular to 2.5km ed to release energy for my daily duties?
The long and short of it is you're just not recovering properly and in all honesty, over training.

If you enjoy running great, but It's not needed for cardio vascular fitness and certainly not everyday, 30 mins steady state walking is enough.

3 times a week is ample.

Extreme cardio and workouts hit the central nervous system and cortisone level shoot through the roof (stress hormone).

I would back off the cardio until you start to feel less fatigued or if you would rather back off the resistance training.

Maybe resistance Mon,Wed, Fri and Cardio Tues, Thurs, Sat (Still have Sunday off).

Limit Resistance to 60mins and Cardio to 30 mins.

A few other things I would recommend:

Drop all stims and limit caffeine (one cup morning before cardio and one cup before resistance no more, caffeine also elevates cortisol).

Melatonin will help you get a better/deeper sleep.

Plenty water at least 3-4 litres a day.

#11 ·
The long and short of it is you're just not recovering properly and in all honesty, over training.

If you enjoy running great, but It's not needed for cardio vascular fitness and certainly not everyday, 30 mins steady state walking is enough.

3 times a week is ample.

Extreme cardio and workouts hit the central nervous system and cortisone level shoot through the roof (stress hormone).

I would back off the cardio until you start to feel less fatigued or if you would rather back off the resistance training.

Maybe resistance Mon,Wed, Fri and Cardio Tues, Thurs, Sat (Still have Sunday off).

Limit Resistance to 60mins and Cardio to 30 mins.

A few other things I would recommend:

Drop all stims and limit caffeine (one cup morning before cardio and one cup before resistance no more, caffeine also elevates cortisol).

Melatonin will help you get a better/deeper sleep.

Plenty water at least 3-4 litres a day.
Thank you so much.

I gonna change immediately.

Mon Weds Fri mornings resistance

Tue Thu Sat mornings only 2.5km not 5

Evenings I gonna have to find a new hobby. Bloody bingo or some crap. Might even consider the extreme pain, boredom and annoyance of IRL friends.

#14 ·
How long have you been doing this cardio daily for?.. May just need some time to adapt.

BUT I do also get tired if I run in the morning. It wakes me up for abit but come 6hours later I can tell I'm alot more fatigued than I normally am, so I just started doing cardio late afternoon instead and I also feel it's better jogging later on as my muscles and joints feel more free to run on.

#18 ·
I've got to say, and this is not meant as an insult, but 18 months to get to running 5k at anything up to 37 minutes seems a very, very long time.

Id probably try and concentrate on bringing the times down and so aim to run it faster but only running it eod.

It does seem like an awful lot of load and very little time to recovery if you're adding in double sessions 4 or 5 times a week.

Are you getting enough carbs in?

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've got to say, and this is not meant as an insult, but 18 months to get to running 5k at anything up to 37 minutes seems a very, very long time.

Id probably try and concentrate on bringing the times down and so aim to run it faster but only running it eod.

It does seem like an awful lot of load and very little time to recovery if you're adding in double sessions 4 or 5 times a week.

Are you getting enough carbs in?
Think he is in his 70's

Dude is doing great. Most old boys that age can barely walk! And many lads in their 30's can't even run for the bus without getting out of breath

@AncientOldBloke 3 times a week is ample for cardio. That's what my cardiologist tells me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.