natsud

Recovery advice needed to help me sleep

Hi Everyone,

I've been training since Jan 2017, after a hard PPL gym session 6pm to 7:30pm (inc 15min HITT) I constantly ache all over (some specific body parts from weights) which isn't such a big problem in the day and happy to live with it to get the results.

However the problem is when I got to bed around 10pm (up at 6am)  and hardly get any f***king sleep.... I'm tossing and turning all night due to aching.

Unfortunately I cant train at a different time as I leave home for work at 7am and get back at 5:30pm so need to train from 6pm.

Apart from not training lol, is there a way round this or anything I can do to help the ache or what is the best recovery and that will help me get some sleep.

Thanks

T

49 minutes ago, natsud said:

Hi Everyone,

I've been training since Jan 2017, after a hard PPL gym session 6pm to 7:30pm (inc 15min HITT) I constantly ache all over (some specific body parts from weights) which isn't such a big problem in the day and happy to live with it to get the results.

However the problem is when I got to bed around 10pm (up at 6am)  and hardly get any f***king sleep.... I'm tossing and turning all night due to aching.

Unfortunately I cant train at a different time as I leave home for work at 7am and get back at 5:30pm so need to train from 6pm.

Apart from not training lol, is there a way round this or anything I can do to help the ache or what is the best recovery and that will help me get some sleep.

Thanks

T

If I train after 6:30pm I barely sleep so I know where you're coming from. For this reason, I aim to train before work when I bother. 

What i'd do in your situation is train Saturday and Sunday first thing and then do a couple of sessions in the week ideally before work but if not, one or two nights if not so great sleep won't kill you. 

Training:-

Pull (Monday)
 Barbell deadlift - 5x5
 Cable seated row - 3x8-12
 Lat pulldown - 3x8-12
 Bent over row - 3x8-12
 EZ Bar bicep curl - 3x8-12
 ABS - 3xfailure
 HITT - 15min on treadmill (14 incline, 6.0 walk 9.0 run 1 minute on 1 minute off)

Push (Tuesday)
 Barbell bench press - 3x8-12
 Incline dumbbell press - 3x8-12
 Standing military press - 3x8-12
 Dumbbell side lateral raise - 3x8-12
 Tricep cable pushdown - 3x8-12
 ABS - 3xfailure
 HITT - 15min on treadmill (14 incline, 6.0 walk 9.0 run 1 minute on 1 minute off)

Legs (Wednesday)
 Barbell back squat - 5x5
 Leg press - 3x8-12
 Leg extension - 3x8-12
 Calf raise - 3x8-12
 Hamstring curl - 3x8-12

Pull (Thursday)
 barbell row - 3x8-12
 Wide grip pull up - 3xfailure
 Dumbbell row - 3x8-12
 Dumbbell curl - 3x8-12
 Ez bar curl - 3x8-12
 ABS - 3xfailure

Push (Friday)
 Close grip bench press - 3x8-12
 Seated military press - 3x8-12
 Flat dumbbell bench - 3x8-12
 Weighted chest dips - 3xfailure
 Skull crusher - 3x8-12
 ABS - 3xfailure

Diet:
    I have a desk job and weigh 178lbs, 5"11" and about 15% BF according to (https://levlnow.com/body-fat-calculator), I clean eat around 2060 cals per day which makes up a split of 30%C / 30%F / 40%P.

Every day I drink roughly 3lrs of water and pre/during workout I drink 1 to 2ltrs of BCAA, Creatine, Glutamine and Beta-Alanine mixed together with water.

Every night 1 hour before bed I have a 45g of matrix anabolic gold 86% protein shake with 300ml of almond milk and ice blended (to make milkshake, ummm very nice)

Weekends I have a slightly higher carbs such as beans on 4 rounds of toast and cheese and a couple of beers (2 Friday.2 Saturday).

thanks

1 minute ago, natsud said:

Every day I drink roughly 3lrs of water and pre/during workout I drink 1 to 2ltrs of BCAA, Creatine, Glutamine and Beta-Alanine mixed together with water

imo - there is your problem - Beta-Alanine, is a stimulant and depending on how much you take this can keep you awake.

I used to have same problem and only a combo of Gaba and Melatonin could help me get the sleep I needed.

BA I would take earlier if you need it - trial and error until  you manage to sleep better.

If you have soreness through in some extra magnesium. Helps a ton, especially after legdays.

19 minutes ago, mangob said:

imo - there is your problem - Beta-Alanine, is a stimulant and depending on how much you take this can keep you awake.

^This.

Additionally 2000 kcal per day is very low. Are you gaining or losing weight and what is your goal? Are you making progress in the gym?

Having more rest days may help.

For the record I've never ached significantly straight after a workout. DOMS sure but not right away. I think this is probably a sign of not being properly recovered, most likely due to low calories.

41 minutes ago, mangob said:

I don't think its this as I suffered with the issue when I first started out and before taking Beta-Alanine, its not that I just cant sleep at night, muscle ache wakes me up.  like if you do a 10k run in the morning then later that day your legs ache from running. 

I thought after 5 months the muscle aches would have gone...

thanks for the suggestion though.

41 minutes ago, mangob said:

I used to have same problem and only a combo of Gaba and Melatonin could help me get the sleep I needed.

BA I would take earlier if you need it - trial and error until  you manage to sleep better.

If you have soreness through in some extra magnesium. Helps a ton, especially after legdays.

18 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

^This.

Additionally 2000 kcal per day is very low. Are you gaining or losing weight and what is your goal? Are you making progress in the gym?

Having more rest days may help.

For the record I've never ached significantly straight after a workout. DOMS sure but not right away. I think this is probably a sign of not being properly recovered, most likely due to low calories.

I keep to 2000 cals as I have a desk job so not very active, I make the coffee once in a while :-)

my aim is to lean bulk "slightly bulk"    i.e. only bulk by 20lbs or so but mainly to shred and drop BF %

yes I'm making gains (which I guess is why I'm aching)

I'm finishing at 7:30pm bed at 10pm waking up aching anywhere from 12:30pm  - 5hrs or so after workout.

thanks

7 minutes ago, natsud said:

I keep to 2000 cals as I have a desk job so not very active, I make the coffee once in a while :-)

my aim is to lean bulk "slightly bulk"    i.e. only bulk by 20lbs or so but mainly to shred and drop BF %

yes I'm making gains (which I guess is why I'm aching)

I'm finishing at 7:30pm bed at 10pm waking up aching anywhere from 12:30pm  - 5hrs or so after workout.

thanks

Are you gaining weight? Are you making progress in the gym?

Even with a desk job your calorie intake is very low. To give you an idea it wouldn't be at all unusual for someone in your situation to eat 3000 kcal per day. There is significant individual variation though.

22 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

Are you gaining weight? Are you making progress in the gym?

Even with a desk job your calorie intake is very low. To give you an idea it wouldn't be at all unusual for someone in your situation to eat 3000 kcal per day. There is significant individual variation though.

my weight isn't moving much...  at the mo as ive only been doing this for 5 months I cant work out if I'm loosing fat and gaining muscle

"Are you making progress in the gym?"  I assume you mean is my body getting definition/bigger....  if so yes, my arms are bigger and more defined.

my weight isn't moving much...  at the mo as ive only been doing this for 5 months I cant work out if I'm loosing fat and gaining muscle

"Are you making progress in the gym?"  I assume you mean is my body getting definition/bigger....  if so yes, my arms are bigger and more defined.

By gym progress I meant are you getting stronger?

I'm about 98% sure the main problem here is you aren't eating enough. If you want to be losing fat I'd drop to three workouts per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). If on the other hand your priority is gaining muscle I would start gradually increasing calories until you're gaining weight. Try increasing daily calories by 100 kcal each week. Add extra carbs and fat not protein - the 200g you're currently having is plenty.

34 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Aching or simply restless?

Aching.... 

I will wake up aching, i'll turn over and drop off again, then I wake up a while later still aching . 

i.e. after push session.... I'm asleep I'll wake up with my shoulders muscle hurting (mil dumbbell press) I drop off to sleep then wake up later with triceps aching (close grip bench press), and so on, this can happen 3 or 4 times in a night....   from about 4am I don't wake up. 

just to point out this does not happen every night, it just seems to be on hard sessions so I think it is muscle recovery related. 

2 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

By gym progress I meant are you getting stronger?

I'm about 98% sure the main problem here is you aren't eating enough. If you want to be losing fat I'd drop to three workouts per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). If on the other hand your priority is gaining muscle I would start gradually increasing calories until you're gaining weight. Try increasing daily calories by 100 kcal each week. Add extra carbs and fat not protein - the 200g you're currently having is plenty.

okay thanks,   so just to clarify...  the reason I'm probably aching in bed is because I'm not eating enough?

okay thanks,   so just to clarify...  the reason I'm probably aching in bed is because I'm not eating enough?

My best guess is yes. This is certainly the thing that looks most 'wrong' with what you're doing and so it's definitely where I'd start.

What made you pick 2000 kcal out of interest? Of it was some online 'calculator'? If so my guess is you put your activity level in as sedentary, which it isn't as you're training five nights a week. True sedentary activity is a desk job followed by being a couch potato in the evenings.

6 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

My best guess is yes. This is certainly the thing that looks most 'wrong' with what you're doing and so it's definitely where I'd start.

What made you pick 2000 kcal out of interest? Of it was some online 'calculator'? If so my guess is you put your activity level in as sedentary, which it isn't as you're training five nights a week. True sedentary activity is a desk job followed by being a couch potato in the evenings.

wicked well that's great, ive been missing my beans on toast :-)....  guess whats on the menu tonight!!!   or would I be better with something like 50g of oats in the café at the gym straight after a session, then my tea a hour or so later?   (salmon, 50g rice, 100g broc, 100g peas, 100g asparagus)

yes it was an online calc as sedentary for work, but like you say didn't account for training in the week.