UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Crossfit

3K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  AncientOldBloke 
#1 ·
Started with a PT today for first time...Training and diet's been in a rut for long long time....Doing Crossfit training...Could only complete half the session, heads bouncing, every muscle in my body's pounding...Buzzing for the training ahead..,

Anyone else do it, prefer it than a traditional bodybuilding routine?

#2 ·
Started with a PT today for first time...Training and diet's been in a rut for long long time....Doing Crossfit training...Could only complete half the session, heads bouncing, every muscle in my body's pounding...Buzzing for the training ahead..,

Have a friend that does it and competes for cross fit Ireland. He is in great shape and very strong pound for pound. Crazy fitness. I debated getting into it before but was put off by the £70 a month memwbership and the need to pay £185 for the induction 6 weeks lifting techinque course

#5 ·
to be honest any circuit does it... not for me...but prob responsible for getting more women lifting weights than anything else in recent history...despite its flaws (tons of pressing and quad dominate stuff making the women - who are traditionally in the "I don't want to look big" - look just that way) ..... downside is the guru/cult like status of many places.... but if it gets people moving and doing a sport its great.... just as many juicers as BB though.......despite the holier than holy attitude.....

over regular BB training - totally different things.... for me no, would rather go back to doing thai or mma than that - more fun by a mile.....

#22 ·
to be honest any circuit does it... not for me...but prob responsible for getting more women lifting weights than anything else in recent history...despite its flaws (tons of pressing and quad dominate stuff making the women - who are traditionally in the "I don't want to look big" - look just that way) ..... downside is the guru/cult like status of many places.... but if it gets people moving and doing a sport its great.... just as many juicers as BB though.......despite the holier than holy attitude.....

over regular BB training - totally different things.... for me no, would rather go back to doing thai or mma than that - more fun by a mile.....
Funny enough, another deciding factor to do it, was getting fit again to go back to muay thai...Place right nexts door...When I was doing a traditional BB routine, my fleibilty really suffered

#7 ·
I did about 6 weeks of it last year and I think it's actually quite worrying what they get up to in those places.

Some of the form they teach when squatting and over head pressing is a total stonewall guarantee of causing injuries.

Theres a dangerous trend of putting your name up on a wall with your most recent lifts/times etc and to me that's going to encourage people to start pushing themselves harder and further than what they're currently capable of safely achieving.

And there's an almost cult like atmosphere between the regular members.

And not much quality poontang attends either.

Big let down for the £60 a month cost considering you can only train at certain times of the day.

#9 ·
My girlfriend does it and i've looked at some of the WODs they do and to be honest they do and it is crazy! The amount of volune involved in some beggars belief!

My concern as said before is the amount of volume especially with things like deadlifts and more complex oly lifts, yeah the weights are light but doing 100+ reps with little education on how to perform it and little to no monitoring when doing it just seems a recipe for injury. Worst the girlfriend has had is a 3 inch scare on her leg off falling on a wooden box after doing a stupid amount of box jumps!

That been said I think it gets a bit of a bad rep to be honest, look at professionals and the condition that these guys are in is remarkable and in my opinion look 100x better than pro bodybuilders.

J

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
lets be honest most "pros" are former elite level athletes in their own right or a notch below...former university track stars etc who aren't Olympic level but just below... its not like they are all untrained - just look at some of the females... you don't get like that from a year or two of crossfit.... so its not the crossfit per say that made them look like that.... far cry from average blokey doing s**t deadlift reps in a local box head to toe in rogue equipment

#14 ·
my wife who has lifted for years, tried it after her friend got into it. My wife had reservations form the start she is pretty strong and fit and said after the first couple of cicurits it was dangerous due to how tired people were but still expected to do compound lifts whilst breathing out of their backsides. 3 months in the friend, did serious damage to her shoulder and neck and ankle, following one of these "WOd" challenges. lifting to heavy and for to many reps in a circuit whereby by the end your barely walking straight, is just asking for trouble. The girl has been signed off from work and now has been told hse needs at least one operation and will be unable to train at all for a 6 months to a year ! my wife stopped it and moved back to more standard training she did take some elements to build some circuits and WOD which remove some of the more dangerou movements as calorie burners.

#15 ·
I think what annoys people is the need to say you do Crossfit or you are a Vegan. ( it gets dropped in every conversation)

As far as an exercise I agree with @Ultrasonic, potential of injury

But saying that I do elements of what called be crossfit style, it was called Circuit training/Bodypump/Tabita/plexes back in day before crossfit became big - great for getting the heart rate up and tons better than spending 30 mins on a treadmill.

#17 ·
I think what annoys people is the need to say you do Crossfit or you are a Vegan. ( it gets dropped in every conversation)

As far as an exercise I agree with @Ultrasonic, potential of injury

But saying that I do elements of what called be crossfit style, it was called Circuit training/Bodypump/Tabita/plexes back in day before crossfit became big - great for getting the heart rate up and tons better than spending 30 mins on a treadmill.
agree with you on this, some of the ideas are great cardio vascular workouts that are much more interesting that traditional cardio. The issues I have it full of people who generally think they are cool or trendy, I dont understand why every item of clothing has to have the words Crossfit on it somewhere as some sort of badge, as if you didnt know that from their prances around.

saying that some of them are massively fit, but at my gym with the exception of the trainer who has a background in Bodybuilding, none of the guys physiques are anything I am looking for or strive for but different goals for different people I guess.

#18 ·
There was a Crossfit "box" at my old gym, half was traditional gym and half was crossfit.

It looked like fun with the oly lifting but the thing that put me off was all the high fiving and over exaggerated enthusiasm, as stupid as it sounds i hate all that stuff and would not mix well with those kind of people.

A lot of people go for that side of things it seems though.

#26 ·
There was a Crossfit "box" at my old gym, half was traditional gym and half was crossfit.

It looked like fun with the oly lifting but the thing that put me off was all the high fiving and over exaggerated enthusiasm, as stupid as it sounds i hate all that stuff and would not mix well with those kind of people.

A lot of people go for that side of things it seems though.
Haha high Fukin fiving! Something a grown man should never do! It's on the same lines of irritating as greeting people with face kisses!

#20 ·
Quite lucky, my gym moved into a bigger premises after Christmas...And it's traditionally more of a bodybuilder type gym...Quite a lot of serious trainers use it...Crossfit section is really one area, beside the strongman section....My training was always BB based, but after meeting with the PT, I want to couple getting bigger, with fitness, so works best for me goals....Good thing is, and undertand comments about form etc, is when I had first session y'day, it was more about getting the form correct, rather than volume

Will track my progress on it, and see how well it works or doesn;'t....Gyms only £20 per month no contract, and PT £60 per month...So more than happy with it

#23 ·

Prefer to do circuits. Compounds, Complexes, full body workouts etc

Wouldn't class it as crossfit as I dont like mimicking people who have parkinsons or people having a fit, when I train and I like to keep good form.

#32 ·
Looks quite interesting to me, the older I'm getting I'm sticking more and more to just weights, which when I compare to when I used to box I feel fu**ing awful. Traditional cardio doesn't interest me anymore, my knees would tell me to get f**ked if I trued running 5 miles on the roads 3 times a week.

The fashion side of it is a bit daft but there's knackers in every gym. The number of men I see wearing those Lycra leggings is a joke, no man who was alive in the 90's should be wearing that s**t

#33 ·
Looks quite interesting to me, the older I'm getting I'm sticking more and more to just weights, which when I compare to when I used to box I feel fu**ing awful. Traditional cardio doesn't interest me anymore, my knees would tell me to get f**ked if I trued running 5 miles on the roads 3 times a week.

The fashion side of it is a bit daft but there's knackers in every gym. The number of men I see wearing those Lycra leggings is a joke, no man who was alive in the 90's should be wearing that s**t
although in the 80's it was headbands and wristbands, but they are cool.

FACT

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've just now had a go.

Had to put a 2nd BB on the incline bench cos my arthritic wrists and tiny forearms can't carry the 1st BB and place it on the pegs.

Started with only 30kg, then realised that 50kg was do-able.

50kg got me heaving and sweaty and out of breath! But I'll get into the swing of things. Kg will soon go up when I find my fluidity. Not used to working at this fast pace.

A certain tough endurance may come if done every day for a month. Who knows if growth will ensue but I'm going to carry on just for shits and giggles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.