Sign in to follow this  
Fadi

Cruising speed vs. acceleration

Knowing something about power generation, I find myself disappointed to see some wrong advice given to potentially incredible fighters. Great, so what the hell am I referring to here then? I'm referring to the speed of your punches and kicks, that's what!

Since when, or on what planet does a fighter throw a punch at constant speed, or cruising speed as I've labeled it? The answer is never , or maybe on the moon or something, but I can assure you (and you men are the experts here), no one throws a punch or generates a kick with constant speed. Mmm, what then mate? It's all about acceleration, for anything short of that would see you kissing the mat with possibly some blood on your nose. OK, time for an example otherwise this could get boring quickly right?

Take your barbell military press. Who here has done such an exercise? How did you perform it? Did you press the bar a la bodybuilding way, i.e. at a constant speed to add to what we know as the muscle's time under tension factor? If so, why? You're not here to build muscles as your priority, you're number one priority is power. OK, what is power before we continue with this? Power is when strength gets married to speed, they beget a baby (make that a fiery beast) called Mr. Power! Right, so power has the element of strength (which is great), but it's strength that is carried with some serious (and I do mean serious) velocity! Man, not only did his punch knock me out (strength), but I tell you, I didn't even see it coming you know (power)!

OK enough verbal gymnastics hey, back to our barbell military press. So I'm not happy to see you perform the military press the bodybuilding way, how about the strength way? What's that? Well, how about loading the bar with no less than 80% of your 1RM and performing sets of 3 to 5 reps? That ought to get you strong surely right? Yes, but is your priority powerlifting (absolute strength), strongman competition, or being an MMA dynamite fighter. Speaking of dynamite, what image does your mind conjure up when you hear or read that word? I tell you what image my mind instantly creates...a friggin EXPLOSION!...that's what.

Well gentlemen, let us emulate that explosion then please, whilst performing the barbell military press. How do we do that? We push press that "enemy" off of our shoulders, that's how. Who does it that way do you know? Olympic weightlifters, that's who. Why do they do that? Because even though their sport has a name of weightlifting, it's actually more of a Power-lifting kind of a sport than anything else really. What muscles do we need to push press the bar overhead? The primary muscles are our gluteus and quads. Funny isn't it. Your punching power is first and foremost generated by your back side and your legs, and that power ends up culminating in your shoulders, arms, and finally your fist as it makes contact with your opponent's jaw..., for a goodnight Charlie you can kiss the mat now bud!

OK, I'm going to leave it here, not because there's not so much more to say, but because this whole post was a quick on the fly spur of a moment idea, simply to make you think of who you are (as an athlete), and what your main focus ought to be on when you hit the weights.

Cheers.

On 26/03/2017 at 3:28 PM, Fadi said:

Knowing something about power generation, I find myself disappointed to see some wrong advice given to potentially incredible fighters. Great, so what the hell am I referring to here then? I'm referring to the speed of your punches and kicks, that's what!

Since when, or on what planet does a fighter throw a punch at constant speed, or cruising speed as I've labeled it? The answer is never , or maybe on the moon or something, but I can assure you (and you men are the experts here), no one throws a punch or generates a kick with constant speed. Mmm, what then mate? It's all about acceleration, for anything short of that would see you kissing the mat with possibly some blood on your nose. OK, time for an example otherwise this could get boring quickly right?

Take your barbell military press. Who here has done such an exercise? How did you perform it? Did you press the bar a la bodybuilding way, i.e. at a constant speed to add to what we know as the muscle's time under tension factor? If so, why? You're not here to build muscles as your priority, you're number one priority is power. OK, what is power before we continue with this? Power is when strength gets married to speed, they beget a baby (make that a fiery beast) called Mr. Power! Right, so power has the element of strength (which is great), but it's strength that is carried with some serious (and I do mean serious) velocity! Man, not only did his punch knock me out (strength), but I tell you, I didn't even see it coming you know (power)!

OK enough verbal gymnastics hey, back to our barbell military press. So I'm not happy to see you perform the military press the bodybuilding way, how about the strength way? What's that? Well, how about loading the bar with no less than 80% of your 1RM and performing sets of 3 to 5 reps? That ought to get you strong surely right? Yes, but is your priority powerlifting (absolute strength), strongman competition, or being an MMA dynamite fighter. Speaking of dynamite, what image does your mind conjure up when you hear or read that word? I tell you what image my mind instantly creates...a friggin EXPLOSION!...that's what.

Well gentlemen, let us emulate that explosion then please, whilst performing the barbell military press. How do we do that? We push press that "enemy" off of our shoulders, that's how. Who does it that way do you know? Olympic weightlifters, that's who. Why do they do that? Because even though their sport has a name of weightlifting, it's actually more of a Power-lifting kind of a sport than anything else really. What muscles do we need to push press the bar overhead? The primary muscles are our gluteus and quads. Funny isn't it. Your punching power is first and foremost generated by your back side and your legs, and that power ends up culminating in your shoulders, arms, and finally your fist as it makes contact with your opponent's jaw..., for a goodnight Charlie you can kiss the mat now bud!

OK, I'm going to leave it here, not because there's not so much more to say, but because this whole post was a quick on the fly spur of a moment idea, simply to make you think of who you are (as an athlete), and what your main focus ought to be on when you hit the weights.

Cheers.

For speed I tend to use 1kg dumbbells and shadow box for 30 mins keeping a high guard.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:35 PM, Kimurasweep said:

For speed I tend to use 1kg dumbbells and shadow box for 30 mins keeping a high guard.

Great. Yet another option for you would be to use the cable machine, or better yet, some  bands that could be attached to a wall behind you, that allow for a slight increase in intensity, whilst maintaining your power generation ... and of course, you can't forget squats, and Romanian deadlifts, as all your power starts from the below the midsection, and generates upwards, culminating in that small area we call the FIST!