Jump to content

anotherandy

Any boxers on here?

Recommended Posts


Boxed on and off for 16 years, packed in all together about 4 years ago although I do still train every so often.

Local clubs can be very hit and miss, some good ones some not so good. When you start most should start with getting you to a decent level of fitness and gradually start to teach you some technique. I'd expect a lot of bag work to begin with, plenty of circuits and maybe a bit of pad work at the end depending on how many trainers there are and how many competitive fighters there are at the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MR RIGSBY said:

Boxed on and off for 16 years, packed in all together about 4 years ago although I do still train every so often.

Local clubs can be very hit and miss, some good ones some not so good. When you start most should start with getting you to a decent level of fitness and gradually start to teach you some technique. I'd expect a lot of bag work to begin with, plenty of circuits and maybe a bit of pad work at the end depending on how many trainers there are and how many competitive fighters there are at the club.

OK that's some good advice thanks very much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to start in the next few weeks. Friend of mine has a boxing trainer who is willing to do 1-2-1 training free of charge.

i am a big guy who cannot fight for toffee but would like to learn how to properly defend myself. Studied karate for a few years but in reality it is useless unless you have been training for at least 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shaneyboy said:

I plan to start in the next few weeks. Friend of mine has a boxing trainer who is willing to do 1-2-1 training free of charge.

i am a big guy who cannot fight for toffee but would like to learn how to properly defend myself. Studied karate for a few years but in reality it is useless unless you have been training for at least 10 years.

free? Just sounds like you're going to get bummed mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heavyassweights said:

seriously though if he wants to learn self defence then not sure boxing is the way forward

Why not? What would you suggest instead of boxing?  Even MMA fighters do boxing training..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, anotherandy said:

Anyway I'm going tonight so I'll put anything relevant up for people who are thinking of starting. I'll probably let everyone know if I get beaten up as well.

Enjoy it, stick with it a couple of months and gradually the trainers should do more with you. No way you should be stepping in the ring though so wouldn't be worried about getting beaten up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MR RIGSBY said:

Enjoy it, stick with it a couple of months and gradually the trainers should do more with you. No way you should be stepping in the ring though so wouldn't be worried about getting beaten up 

No I'm joking mate. You don't do sparring for a while from what I've been told. But looking forward to it. It will be a good outlet for work, maybe stop me from thinking about murdering my colleagues :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Why not? What would you suggest instead of boxing?  Even MMA fighters do boxing training..

Muay Thai, Wing chun or jujitsu. 

Depends whether it's defensive or offensive that you want. 

A lot of people anticipate a punch but very few will anticipate a kick or leg sweep so the success rate would be far higher than you think. Also the leg can reach out much further if the assailant is out of arms reach. 

If boxing is your game and the assailant pulls a knife, it ain't gonna be pretty unless youre as lucky as you are quick. 

No one is saying that boxing doesn't have its place and that boxing combined with other fighting skills aren't valuable because it is, but it's certainly not what I'd choose if I wanted to learn to fight/defend myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, theBEAST2002 said:

Krav Maga

A first class Krav Maga student will be a walking instrument of death.

But to get to that level takes anything up to 7 years apparently.

Probably not the best for your average Joe on the street who just wants to learn how to drop some bombs on some punk in town one night who's had a few too many and started giving it the big licks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Donny dog said:

A first class Krav Maga student will be a walking instrument of death.

But to get to that level takes anything up to 7 years apparently.

Probably not the best for your average Joe on the street who just wants to learn how to drop some bombs on some punk in town one night who's had a few too many and started giving it the big licks.

I don't think you need to learn 50% of Krav Maga. But the mindset it instills and a lot of the disarming techniques put it heads and shoulders above conventional fighting forms.

 

My son did a lot of Krav Maga when he was in the Royal Marines. Where as he did not do it consistently for years, he was more able to take care of himself then my younger son who did MMA for years consistantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, anotherandy said:

No I'm joking mate. You don't do sparring for a while from what I've been told. But looking forward to it. It will be a good outlet for work, maybe stop me from thinking about murdering my colleagues :)

Or better equip you to do it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×