Baggy

Best frequency and reps for muscle definition and gain?

Hi guys just a quick one....

I am looking to gain muscle definition while trimming down a bit.

I was doing the Dorian Yates early years years workout doing a 2 way split routine and 3 x 8 sets.

I then saw a personal trainer who recommended for best hypertrophy that I do 3 x 10 of a slightly lower weight and drop set another 3 x 10 straight after. (eg, 10 reps of 25kg and pick up 12kg and do another 10 reps straight after)

I just wondered what the best technique is to build muscle? I enjoyed 5 x 5 before and also tried GVT years ago. I want to get the best from my 4 x weight sessions a week so would appreciate some advice please. :)

Muscle definition is the result of lower body fat, not a particular training style.

In terms of muscle size gain, I'd probably suggest training each muscle group twice per week, with as much volume as you can recover from and make progress from. Reps in the 8-15 range would be what I'd do.

I posted some more detail here:

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/topic/297872-3x5-2x8-12/?do=findComment&comment=5642122

BUT you're cutting so optimising size gains isn't really where you're at.

1 hour ago, Baggy said:

Hi guys just a quick one....

I am looking to gain muscle definition while trimming down a bit.

I was doing the Dorian Yates early years years workout doing a 2 way split routine and 3 x 8 sets.

I then saw a personal trainer who recommended for best hypertrophy that I do 3 x 10 of a slightly lower weight and drop set another 3 x 10 straight after. (eg, 10 reps of 25kg and pick up 12kg and do another 10 reps straight after)

I just wondered what the best technique is to build muscle? I enjoyed 5 x 5 before and also tried GVT years ago. I want to get the best from my 4 x weight sessions a week so would appreciate some advice please. :)

So you're cutting right? If so don't worry about building muscle at this stage... because it wont happen.

Just now, Ross1991 said:

Unless on gear, especially tren. :thumb

ha yeah, but tbh even then there will only be an initial period of a month or two where that will happen until your body recomps... then you need to start the cutting/bulking lark to restart progress.

Cheers guys. Yeah trying to trim a bit before doing a lean bulk but wondering what the best sequence is to look leaner and more defined. 

Ive dropped 7lbs so far but dont look any different or leaner as such so wondering if my new drop sets are going to be the right way to go. 

Reading ultrasonic piece above seems im in the right kind of rep range. Im doing 10 reps then reduce weight and go again for 10 reps. 

I probably enjoyed doing 3 sets of 8 reps sessions more as i could progressively increas weight whereas this new way im screwed at the end and cant increase weight at all

Just now, Baggy said:

Cheers guys. Yeah trying to trim a bit before doing a lean bulk but wondering what the best sequence is to look leaner and more defined. 

Ive dropped 7lbs so far but dont look any different or leaner as such so wondering if my new drop sets are going to be the right way to go. 

Reading ultrasonic piece above seems im in the right kind of rep range. Im doing 10 reps then reduce weight and go again for 10 reps. 

I probably enjoyed doing 3 sets of 8 reps sessions more as i could progressively increas weight whereas this new way im screwed at the end and cant increase weight at all

I didn't suggest drop sets. I would rest longer and then do additional sets at the same weight.

2 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

I didn't suggest drop sets. I would rest longer and then do additional sets at the same weight.

Ok thanks mate i'll try that. So doing say 4 sets of 10 reps would be more beneficial than 3 sets of 10 reps plus 10 dropset reps

3 minutes ago, Baggy said:

Ok thanks mate i'll try that. So doing say 4 sets of 10 reps would be more beneficial than 3 sets of 10 reps plus 10 dropset reps

Probably.

You might benefit from watching the following some time. The first half is about training and the second diet.

2 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

7 minutes ago, Baggy said:

I answered that question above?

Lots of people here would have different opinions BTW!

4 hours ago, Baggy said:

Drop sets aren't going to make much difference for fat loss your diet will do that , just pick a rep range and get progressively stronger in that rep range you are dieting don't expect muscle gain, don't obsess over different rep ranges either 

1 hour ago, Charlee Scene said:

Drop sets aren't going to make much difference for fat loss your diet will do that , just pick a rep range and get progressively stronger in that rep range you are dieting don't expect muscle gain, don't obsess over different rep ranges either 

Indeed, made that mistake too many times myself. You want your muscles to be tired and drained when you finish the exercise. You should feel like you worked out not that you covered ground so to speak. 

10 set drop set too much if you are really failing on every final rep. 5 more than enough and a drop set will flatten you completely. I am a huge fan of them but they are the emergency tool, can't do them every session. I bring them once every 2/3 weeks or so. And with a drop set you have to be quick with the drop in weight so machines naturally make it easier  with a quick change of pin

As for fat loss, a cardio session will trump a weights session any day. No comparion in my view.  Good weights session and I recover pretty quickly, Hour's intense cardio and i am fit for bed. But I am not a spring chicken any more

20 hours ago, Baggy said:

I just wondered what the best technique is to build muscle?

Progress you lifts on a regular basis, whether it's by adding weight to the bar, adding reps to your previous best, or by shortening the rest periods between sets.

The sets and rep ranges doesn't really matter. Doing the above on a consistent basis for years does.

Cheers for all the advice. As im currently in a calorie deficit im struggling to keep any increase in bar weight each session, but I am concentrating on form a lot. will try the methods mentioned on here and really appreciate the guidance.

During my diet phase I have kept up the 4 x weight session and dropped 7lbs so far, but I don't look any different in pictures to when I started so its definitely a case of head down and hope the body responds well and physically looks better for it eventually!

I had hoped after a few months of bulking (albeit starting a bulk at approx. 20% BF was the wrong move) I put on 11lbs but looked exactly the same in the progress pics I took - now I've dieted a bit and dropped 7lbs I still look the same lol !! Hence the reason for asking about gym work to guide me through getting some visual results as im definitely putting in the max effort in terms of food and gym.

20 minutes ago, Charlee Scene said:

You could be losing a bit more if you reduced cals slightly again, that's not very much 

I think @baggy lost something like 1.4 lb last week IIRC - he hasn't been doing exactly the same thing every week since the start of February.

4 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

I think @baggy lost something like 1.4 lb last week IIRC - he hasn't been doing exactly the same thing every week since the start of February.

Aww I see I thought it was like 1lb a week he could be losing 1.5-2 if he was quite overweight but I don't know the background 

Cheers. Yeah i went from trying to bulk to trying to cut about 2 months ago. Went from 3500 cals a day to 2500. 

Then early feb down to 2000 cals a day plus 4x cv a week (just a 10 min hiit session after weights)

currently about 193lbs @ 6" 1' and id say 20%bf so some way to go to get lean, but im really trying hard!

7 minutes ago, Baggy said:

Cheers. Yeah i went from trying to bulk to trying to cut about 2 months ago. Went from 3500 cals a day to 2500. 

Then early feb down to 2000 cals a day plus 4x cv a week (just a 10 min hiit session after weights)

currently about 193lbs @ 6" 1' and id say 20%bf so some way to go to get lean, but im really trying hard!

Keep up the good work bro your doing just fine

19 hours ago, Charlee Scene said:

Keep up the good work bro your doing just fine

Thanks mate. Getting a bit frustrated to be honest with lack of physical changes so far but im in 100% !!