Caisley

Beginner in need of some advice

Hi everyone. I started 2017 out at 17st and have lost 2 stone in the first 6weeks doing a training program. Now that is over I have stated going to the gym Monday-Friday 6.30am-7.30am For the last three weeks. This week i also started running every other night. 

I am owndering if I should still take diet whey protein after work out to help repair my muscles. As last week I done leg day on Monday and was still hurting on Saturday. For my diet I drink about 2liters of water a day. Normal day is

Finnish the gym about 7.30 have diet whey protein 

Porridge  and fruit at 9.30

Tuna rice or chicken Sweet potato  12.30

Chicken  Stirfry  4.30

IMG_1771.PNG

Well done on the weight loss :).

Diet whey is a rip-off. If you need extra protein buy a regular whey protein concentrate instead e.g. Pure Whey from Bulk Powders or Impact Whey from My Protein.

You will benefit from some protein after your workout but if you wanted this to be say fried eggs on toast rather than whey followed by porridge that would be fine too. Think of whey just like any other protein source rather than anything magical.

3 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Well done on the weight loss :).

Diet whey is a rip-off. If you need extra protein buy a regular whey protein concentrate instead e.g. Pure Whey from Bulk Powders or Impact Whey from My Protein.

You will benefit from some protein after your workout but if you wanted this to be say fried eggs on toast rather than whey followed by porridge that would be fine too. Think of whey just like any other protein source rather than anything magical.

Thanks will it make a difference if I have eggs before or after my work out. Is there any way to get my body to heal quicker so I am not as sore for such a long time 

1 hour ago, Caisley said:

Thanks will it make a difference if I have eggs before or after my work out. Is there any way to get my body to heal quicker so I am not as sore for such a long time 

Your body will get used to it over time. I had a month over xmas when I did not workout. Was meant to be two weeks off but I was sick so turned into a month off. I did a work out and was meant to take it easy but cos I'm nuts I never listen to myself and trained like a nutter, For the next few days everything hurt. Even putting a jumper on was an effort.

You will get used to it and will not get so sore in the future.

So u dont consume any protein after 4.30? Thats maybe ya problem then mate lol Protein at night before bed is important and first thing on waking up protein & protein pre & post workout! :) Seems to me that for your not gettin enough of what your body needs to repair itself. Just an opinion mate. 

Personally I think 5 days a week at the start and running in the evening is overdoing it. Motivation is always high at the start, but I bet any money a combination of fatigue / boredom  will soon  set in and you have the risk of just jacking it all in. I think you should do 3 days weights and 2 days cardio as a absolute max 

Also a split like that is unneccessary, you mighht be better served with a ULUL set up, but if its working for you, go for it, why not

The soreness will go away in time as you get used to training, warm up sets are necessary for me and a load of stretching. Else 10mins on low resistance on the bike etc just to get the blood flow going

I would take protein shakes if convenience is what your after and mix with water, not milk given your trying to lose weight too

Creatine imo is very useful and this will certainly aid recovery. Rest of the vast multitude of supplements range (vitamins aside) between totally useless to marginal benefit 

The myfitnesspal is helpful.

And one thing which is vital, remember training is "slow lengthy jog" not a race, many many are over enthusiastic at the start and quit cold turkey. The odd pizza, beers are fine. These cheat meals can keep your motivation up. If going to health shops is doing your nut in like it does me, drop back on it 

2 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

Personally I think 5 days a week at the start and running in the evening is overdoing it. Motivation is always high at the start, but I bet any money a combination of fatigue / boredom  will soon  set in and you have the risk of just jacking it all in. I think you should do 3 days weights and 2 days cardio as a absolute max 

Also a split like that is unneccessary, you mighht be better served with a ULUL set up, but if its working for you, go for it, why not

The soreness will go away in time as you get used to training, warm up sets are necessary for me and a load of stretching. Else 10mins on low resistance on the bike etc just to get the blood flow going

I would take protein shakes if convenience is what your after and mix with water, not milk given your trying to lose weight too

Creatine imo is very useful and this will certainly aid recovery. Rest of the vast multitude of supplements range (vitamins aside) between totally useless to marginal benefit 

The myfitnesspal is helpful.

And one thing which is vital, remember training is "slow lengthy jog" not a race, many many are over enthusiastic at the start and quit cold turkey. The odd pizza, beers are fine. These cheat meals can keep your motivation up. If going to health shops is doing your nut in like it does me, drop back on it 

Thanks for all the inti am setting my self goals  . If I lose anoth stone by the 23apr I am going out for a meal with my family. Things like like keeping me on track. Also loving the results I seen in the mirror. ATM I am down from 42" to 36" jeans. 

1 hour ago, Caisley said:

Thanks for all the inti am setting my self goals  . If I lose anoth stone by the 23apr I am going out for a meal with my family. Things like like keeping me on track. Also loving the results I seen in the mirror. ATM I am down from 42" to 36" jeans. 

If it works for you, go for it! Full steam ahead dude. Great progress thus far

20 hours ago, Caisley said:

Eating a bit more protein, and more food generally, would help. If all you are eating is what you've stated it isn't much for someone your size.

I would have some whey (25g) before training, and then either whey in your porridge or a different meal with protein in it like the eggs I mentioned. You don't have to eat the same thing every day either.

16:30 sounds rather early for your last meal of the day. Any particular reason for this?

2 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Eating a bit more protein, and more food generally, would help. If all you are eating is what you've stated it isn't much for someone your size.

I would have some whey (25g) before training, and then either whey in your porridge or a different meal with protein in it like the eggs I mentioned. You don't have to eat the same thing every day either.

16:30 sounds rather early for your last meal of the day. Any particular reason for this?

Well between 4.30-6.00 just when I Finnish work that's all. will I still lose weight if I increase my meals. Just I still have a long way to go before my ideal size . Thanks for the help

As ultrasonic said more protein mate i suggest :) aslong as u eat little meals  and often amd doing cardio u be fine as far as weight loss is concerened... eating 50g grilled chicken before bed and a couple poach eggs in morning Will not do u any harm and its high carbs and fats in peoples diet that adds to weight gain not high protein or calories...  u could consume 3000cal a day and still lose weight as well as build muscle aslong as its correct foods... keep ya protein high as will help to repair the muscle tears and will help with Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also called muscle fever, it is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise. Go to myfitnesspal app and sort out what ratio of fats/carbs/protein source foods u want in ya diet mate. If u want to build muscle whilst loseimg weight u got to eat every 3-4hrs at least... good luck pal

49 minutes ago, Caisley said:

Well between 4.30-6.00 just when I Finnish work that's all. will I still lose weight if I increase my meals. Just I still have a long way to go before my ideal size . Thanks for the help

Eating more calories will reduce the rate of fat loss. I was answering your question about recovery from workouts.

37 minutes ago, Cal88scott said:

i suggest :) aslong as u eat little meals  and often amd doing cardio u be fine as far as weight loss is concerened... eating 50g grilled chicken before bed and a couple poach eggs in morning Will not do u any harm and its high carbs and fats in peoples diet that adds to weight gain not high protein or calories...  u could consume 3000cal a day and still lose weight as well as build muscle aslong as its correct foods...

If u want to build muscle whilst loseimg weight u got to eat every 3-4hrs at least...

I'm sorry but for the benefit of the OP I'd better say that none of the above is true.

So your saying that 50g of chicken at night and a couple of eggs in morning on top of his diet will not benifit him? & your saying its not high carb and fat diets that mostly contribute to weight gain? ;) you say non of the above true mate sorry but i dissagree! Lol

Yeah understandable but if he is going gym 5days a week and also working daily he must be burning wayyyyyyy more then he is consuming & if he also wants build muscle then he must eat just enough calories with high protein and id say he is NOT EATING ENOUGH lol especially enough protein to build or repair or even maintain! Js but ill agree to dissagree ;) 

What about a person who body is used to consuming say 4000calories a day every day and there body and metabolism is used to this amount and then that person reduces that down to 3000calories a day gym or no gym are u telling me that person will lose weight? Pmsl bs mate hahaha 

3 minutes ago, Cal88scott said:

Yeah understandable but if he is going gym 5days a week and also working daily he must be burning wayyyyyyy more then he is consuming & if he also wants build muscle then he must eat just enough calories with high protein and id say he is NOT EATING ENOUGH lol especially enough protein to build or repair or even maintain! Js but ill agree to dissagree ;) 

I only disagreed with the exact points I quoted. Also bear in mind that the OP's overwhelming priority here is fat loss.

3 minutes ago, Cal88scott said:

What about a person who body is used to consuming say 4000calories a day every day and there body and metabolism is used to this amount and then that person reduces that down to 3000calories a day gym or no gym are u telling me that person will lose weight? Pmsl bs mate hahaha 

You either missed a critical 'not' there or you're trolling. Either way it's not going to help the OP to carry on this discussion so I'll leave it here.

i suppose every one is different in ways there approach and the amount of time they want to do it is also a factor and the metabolism is also another factor lol   See i have a fast metabolism and i know i could lose weight whilst consumeing 3000calories a day as im really active and have a physical job plus train 4-5days a week mate if u can see where im coming from? 

All im saying is you dont know the ins and outs of peoples life as too amount of calories they should consume lol how active they are... metabolism... sleep amount... amount of cardio... jobrole... etc etc he is 15st still atm he need be consuming more calories then he is already to lose it gradually & healthily :) anyways leave it there.