Sign in to follow this  
NoGutsNoGloryy

Increasing endurance

Have a look here - https://runbundle.com/training/sessions/

I really like the website and it has some useful resources.

A heart rate monitor might be useful to stay in certain zones to assist with programming, even if you just get a strap and the connect to your phone. The website has info on this - https://runbundle.com/articles/heart-rate-training

Good luck with the training and application.

On 3/11/2017 at 4:14 AM, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

Never really ran before, just used crosstrainer etc for cardio (main purpose just for fat loss)... training for paras now and looking to run half marathon before I join. 

Anybody know of any programs to do?

No secret as far as I'm concerned, it really does come naturally. I can run a half marathon no issues and run about 12k on my cardio day. My focus is always BB, I mainly run for cardio health & fat loss, what I did find is that you need to aim for a fixed time, if you are knackered after say 10mins, slow it right down, even to a walking pace, but ensure you finish the time. As you get better your pace simply increases. Every time I have the same issue, after around the 20min mark I feel like I want to quit and I get this "2nd wind", 35mins onwards and i feel fine. I could run past an hour but then I am just bored to sh#t by that stage .

Also, distraction plays a part like running out side, listening to music / movie, avoiding looking at the time on the machine, ... etc Was doing it today, 10mins in and just couldn't be assed to be honest but after 15mins, just switched off and day dreamed. Very different to a weights where concentration is required, I really need to "tune out" to finish a long cardio session  

Might be different for a runner who wants to lift weights but if you weight focused first then I think its pretty straighforward to improve your cardio

If looking at the paras then while running will obviously help... tabbing with a weighted bergen will help even more. 15min/miles is standard army CFT pace, but you'll need to be way above that come test week.

You will need speed for the 2 miler (18 min with 35lbs rifle, water, weapon (4kg), helmet, boot and combat jacket), and endurance for the 20 miler in 4hr10.

So getting miles under your belt to toughen up your feet will help. Should be able to do the 1.5 mile run in 9 min for breakfast too.

Regarding running, time your best 2.4/5/10 km times and just aim to chip away at them. Listen to your body though, as things like IT bands and shin splints will only get worse if you try to train through them.

The army fitness app isn't too bad at all and might be worth looking at that to ease yourself into the swing of things.

There will be loads of build up training for P Company, but the fitter and tougher you are the less likely you will be to pick up injury along the way. Main thing for selection will be getting your 1.5m run time as low as possible.

This will probably be the longest 18 min of your life lol

1 hour ago, JohhnyC said:

No secret as far as I'm concerned, it really does come naturally. I can run a half marathon no issues and run about 12k on my cardio day. My focus is always BB, I mainly run for cardio health & fat loss, what I did find is that you need to aim for a fixed time, if you are knackered after say 10mins, slow it right down, even to a walking pace, but ensure you finish the time. As you get better your pace simply increases. Every time I have the same issue, after around the 20min mark I feel like I want to quit and I get this "2nd wind", 35mins onwards and i feel fine. I could run past an hour but then I am just bored to sh#t by that stage .

Also, distraction plays a part like running out side, listening to music / movie, avoiding looking at the time on the machine, ... etc Was doing it today, 10mins in and just couldn't be assed to be honest but after 15mins, just switched off and day dreamed. Very different to a weights where concentration is required, I really need to "tune out" to finish a long cardio session  

Might be different for a runner who wants to lift weights but if you weight focused first then I think its pretty straighforward to improve your cardio

You say slow it right down and that's a problem I seem to be having. I can't seem to pace myself as daft as that sounds lol.

I've only done 4 runs since I posted this thread and it seems to be improving quite decently. Stopped at like 200m first run now I'm on about 700m.

Once you get going maybe buy a weighted vest, you'll be amazed how much harder just walking is. 

I used to do loads of running, here's a thread I contributed to a while ago.

Good luck with the Para's :thumb

On 3/19/2017 at 9:12 AM, Sparkey said:

Once you get going maybe buy a weighted vest, you'll be amazed how much harder just walking is. 

I used to do loads of running, here's a thread I contributed to a while ago.

Good luck with the Para's :thumb

Jesus, this thread is only 2weeks old.  With the progress I've made I must be bloody superhuman lol. When I made this thread I was stopping 3 times in a mile and 2mile was absolute max!.. Ran 6.5mile yesterday with one break which I did on the turn back to give my legs a wake up haha.

Think I'll definitely give the weighted vest a go, especially as there's loads of good looking women running the same placeB) And cheers fella

11 minutes ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

Jesus, this thread is only 2weeks old.  With the progress I've made I must be bloody superhuman lol. When I made this thread I was stopping 3 times in a mile and 2mile was absolute max!.. Ran 6.5mile yesterday with one break which I did on the turn back to give my legs a wake up haha.

Think I'll definitely give the weighted vest a go, especially as there's loads of good looking women running the same placeB) And cheers fella

Its amazing how unfit you can be when you think you're fit. When I started running I thought it would be easy due to doing things like high rep deads... couldn't have been any further from the truth lol. Was like you... did a 4 mile run, managed 2, but then was stopping every few hundred meters, it was embarrassing lol.

4 hours ago, 2004mark said:

Its amazing how unfit you can be when you think you're fit. When I started running I thought it would be easy due to doing things like high rep deads... couldn't have been any further from the truth lol. Was like you... did a 4 mile run, managed 2, but then was stopping every few hundred meters, it was embarrassing lol.

Aye I always thought the same aswell. Because I did high reps I thought well it's just cardio really in a sense and I'll be a good runner if I wanted to then when I actually had my first run I remember walking back home and just thinking to myself WTF whilst being completely baffled haha. 

21 hours ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

Work on running fartleks maybe once weekly for 5 miles or so now you know you can make the distance. Add in a session of hill sprints, a long distance run for 8 miles to start and a tempo run at a decent pace also for maybe 3-5 miles for now. If all you do is focus on distance you'll never get the speed work in to make the times necessary, best to start early. 

21 hours ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

haha didn't I mention it. Bet any month you feel "healthier"

Same boat mate. Only back in the gym 3 weeks after many months due to one thing or other, First day 2km  at 8km / h and had to quit. 

Today was cardio day, 11k in 62mins, Pace was set too high initially as trying 11k / h target but had to slow it down to 9.5 after 20mins than at the 40min mark felt better so up to 12km / h

Could do longer I reckon but dull as sh#t on a threadmill though, better outside 

7 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

haha didn't I mention it. Bet any month you feel "healthier"

Same boat mate. Only back in the gym 3 weeks after many months due to one thing or other, First day 2km  at 8km / h and had to quit. 

Today was cardio day, 11k in 62mins, Pace was set too high initially as trying 11k / h target but had to slow it down to 9.5 after 20mins than at the 40min mark felt better so up to 12km / h

Could do longer I reckon but dull as sh#t on a threadmill though, better outside 

Aye for sure I feel much better, it has no doubt %100 lowered my blood pressure by a large margin.

Nice run that. I need to get hold of a watch myself to time my runs and talking about timing I had the longest jog ever earlier on lol. My legs were still jelly from training legs last night. The run was absolute agony:lol:

Can't do treadmils me, feels weird for me and not natural, my legs just end up flaping about everywhere.

7 hours ago, Quackerz said:

Work on running fartleks maybe once weekly for 5 miles or so now you know you can make the distance. Add in a session of hill sprints, a long distance run for 8 miles to start and a tempo run at a decent pace also for maybe 3-5 miles for now. If all you do is focus on distance you'll never get the speed work in to make the times necessary, best to start early. 

No point running fast and doing speed training If I don't have the endurance in the first place to run at speed, so I'm not looking at that route just yet.

I was planning on joining over summer but everybody's talking about holidays now so fvck staying on base getting beasted in the middle of nowhere whilst everyone is off shagging abroad!:D So aye no need for me to rush just yet, just going to focus on endurance for this half marathon in May now.

Just now, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

No point running fast and doing speed training If I don't have the endurance in the first place to run at speed, so I'm not looking at that route just yet.

I was planning on joining over summer but everybody's talking about holidays now so fvck staying on base getting beasted in the middle of nowhere whilst everyone is off shagging abroad!:D So aye no need for me to rush just yet, just going to focus on endurance for this half marathon in May now.

Good luck with it mate. :thumbup1: