adamblaha

can someone critique my training routine?

This is a kind of full body workout over 3 days of the week that I designed for myself, trying to get a good balance of all the body worked out and different rep ranges in there too.  I'm mainly interested in functional strength rather than strictly bodybuilding because I practice martial arts and on the days in between weight lifting I train for that, though I want to improve in strength and grow more muscle too.

(I put the changed routine below)

I guess it is a lot more volume when I look at it, mostly because there is a huge amount of sets on the last day.  I found out that doing deadlifts and squats 3 days a week was too much for me.. just for my back it couldnt recover in time.. and overhead press 3 days a week is too much for the shoulders.  But I found I can bench, do pullups, dips and other things three days a week without feeling too bad.  Especially if instead of doing the same reps I do like a 3 rep max on one day and 12 rep sets on another day, it seems to be a lot easier than say doing sets of 12 reps or sets of 5 reps every day all week to do one day thats a set of 3 reps and another day thats a set of 12.  I also do martial arts training 4 days a week in between including circuit training which is difficult when aching from lifting weights though, especially the leg work.   I heard of 5x5 yeah but I figured mixing the amount of reps you do is a lot superior to always doing 5 reps because that plateus quite quickly?  Right now my benchpress is on around 100kgs which I know isn't that amazing but already I dont know if I can see a lot of progress on that with a 5x5 routine?   Do you think I would say get it to at least 120kg in 1 year with a 5x5 routine benching twice per week?   My goal is really to get my benchpress to 150kg and I have similar goals for other lifts too.

thanks for the advice on volume, I am working on changing things around a lot to make it more appropriate.  If not sure maybe I can just do a 5x5 routine for a while and just follow good ones I find online after that. 

I changed it now to this which reduced the volume.  If you still think 5x5 would be a lot better than this then I will take your advice and go with that instead. 

Sat
zercher 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
bench 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
row 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
pullups 4 sets
assisted pullups 2 sets
dips 4 sets
hammer curls 2 sets of 10 reps
barbell curls 2 sets of 10 reps

mon
deadlifts 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
overhead press 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
dumbbell overhead press 2 sets 10 reps
one handed farmers walks 3 times on each side

wed
hack squats 2 sets 10 reps
zercher 2 sets 3 reps, 2 sets 5 reps
bench 2 sets 3 reps, 2 sets 5 reps
incline dumbbell bench 2 sets 10 reps
reverse grip dumbbell bench 2 sets 10 reps
close grip benchpress 2 sets 10 reps
row 2 sets 5 reps, 2 sets 8 reps
fatman pullups 2 sets max
pullups 4 sets
assisted pullups 2 sets
dips 4 sets
hammer curls 2 sets of 10 reps
barbell curls 2 sets of 10 reps

alright thanks.. well with 5x5 one problem is I cant squat 3 days per week, its not going to happen not with all my martial arts practice on the 4 days in between.  My legs are like jelly doing exercises like sprawls, burpees, mountain climbers etc. in circuit training.  So I will have to modify the 5x5 to make squatting twice per week, I just cant help but have to modify that. 

Also there are some things I would be sad not to be able to include, such as pullups because I want to get better at climbing, also it would be good if I could include farmers walks because I feel like I need to improve my grip strength too, and maybe some curls as well because my biceps are kind of underdeveolped I think compared to other muscles , because I never did so many pulling motions or curling motions before but I did mostly pushing motions so I have ok triceps in comparison, im a lot better at dips than pullups for example or at any pushing motions than pulling motions or things which require grip strength.

If I can change it with these in mind it'd be like this 

squat 5x5
bench 5x5
row 5x5
pullups 4 sets
hammer curls 2 sets of 10
barbell curls 2 sets of 10

overhead press 5x5
deadlift 1x5 
Farmers walks 2 sets 

Squat 5x5
bench 5x5
row 5x5
pullups 4 sets

With 5x5, I find it quite hard to like it because sure I can do a 5 rep max for my first set, but I will have to lower the weight for the next sets in order to keep on doing 5 reps, or do less reps e.g. it could be bench 100kg 5 reps, bench 97kg 5 reps, bench 95kg 5 reps, bench 90kg 5 reps, bench 90kg 5 reps.  Or it could be bench 100kg 5 reps, bench 100kg 4 reps, bench 100kg 3 reps, bench 100kg 2 reps (so really im not even doing a 5x5 im doing a 5,4,3,2,1 here).    Or if I truly want to do 5x5 on the same weight it could be bench 90kg 5x5.. but then it feels inefficient like im using a weight which is too low to only lift 5 reps with on the first sets and it only really feels difficult on the last sets due to fatigue accumulating (is this how you are supposed to do 5x5?? but with it saying you are supposed to increase the weight each week it seems like its pushing me towards going for a 5 rep max, which pushes me towards one of the other issues either lowering the weight or the reps for the next sets).   Thats why I preferred to make something that is more like 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, then repeat 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps.  Because it's easier to do a true 8 rep max into a true 5 rep max then 3 rep max.  Plus its also easier to get new max reps and feel like youre making progress e.g. even if you fail to get a new 3 rep max you might get a new 8 rep max on the day...  I did try 5x5 briefly and it felt kind of boring doing 5 sets of 5 reps and I dont know stagnant feeling, like it would be hard to make progress, but I didnt try it for very long (and maybe I wasnt doing it right because im not sure if you are supposed to be doing a 5 rep max on your first set and then lowering the weight down for the next sets to make sure you can still make 5 reps on every set, or if you are supposed to go a bit lighter so you can still lift the same weight as you used in your first rep for 5 on your final set).   Now if everyone is saying 5x5 is best even if I didnt really like it then I have to take peoples advice and just stick with the 5x5, because I'm not experienced in weight lifting. 

I'm going with the 5x5 thanks to peoples advice and doing

Squat  5x5
bench 5x5
row  5x5
dips 3 sets

squat  5x5
overhead press  5x5
deadlift ramp up to 5 rep max
pullups 3 sets
farmers walks/holds 2 sets on each hand

Although I just hope I can get used to squats 3x per week with martial arts training and circuit training on the days in between :'( 

Also, i hope I can make progress on that and not have to do constant deloads for, for example being able to bench 100kg for 5 reps but not for 5 sets of 5 reps.  I will give it a good try anyway for at least a few months.  Thanks. 

G    98

If you can't then lighten the load on one day or drop squats and sub in something less intensive on one day. Work your training to your goals and sport.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:52 AM, adamblaha said:

alright thanks.. well with 5x5 one problem is I cant squat 3 days per week, its not going to happen not with all my martial arts practice on the 4 days in between.  My legs are like jelly doing exercises like sprawls, burpees, mountain climbers etc. in circuit training.  So I will have to modify the 5x5 to make squatting twice per week, I just cant help but have to modify that. 

Also there are some things I would be sad not to be able to include, such as pullups because I want to get better at climbing, also it would be good if I could include farmers walks because I feel like I need to improve my grip strength too, and maybe some curls as well because my biceps are kind of underdeveolped I think compared to other muscles , because I never did so many pulling motions or curling motions before but I did mostly pushing motions so I have ok triceps in comparison, im a lot better at dips than pullups for example or at any pushing motions than pulling motions or things which require grip strength.

If I can change it with these in mind it'd be like this 

squat 5x5
bench 5x5
row 5x5
pullups 4 sets

overhead press 5x5
deadlift 1x5 
Farmers walks 2 sets 

Squat 5x5
bench 5x5
row 5x5
pullups 4 sets

With 5x5, I find it quite hard to like it because sure I can do a 5 rep max for my first set, but I will have to lower the weight for the next sets in order to keep on doing 5 reps, or do less reps e.g. it could be bench 100kg 5 reps, bench 97kg 5 reps, bench 95kg 5 reps, bench 90kg 5 reps, bench 90kg 5 reps.  Or it could be bench 100kg 5 reps, bench 100kg 4 reps, bench 100kg 3 reps, bench 100kg 2 reps (so really im not even doing a 5x5 im doing a 5,4,3,2,1 here).    Or if I truly want to do 5x5 on the same weight it could be bench 90kg 5x5.. but then it feels inefficient like im using a weight which is too low to only lift 5 reps with on the first sets and it only really feels difficult on the last sets due to fatigue accumulating (is this how you are supposed to do 5x5?? but with it saying you are supposed to increase the weight each week it seems like its pushing me towards going for a 5 rep max, which pushes me towards one of the other issues either lowering the weight or the reps for the next sets).   Thats why I preferred to make something that is more like 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, then repeat 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps.  Because it's easier to do a true 8 rep max into a true 5 rep max then 3 rep max.  Plus its also easier to get new max reps and feel like youre making progress e.g. even if you fail to get a new 3 rep max you might get a new 8 rep max on the day...  I did try 5x5 briefly and it felt kind of boring doing 5 sets of 5 reps and I dont know stagnant feeling, like it would be hard to make progress, but I didnt try it for very long (and maybe I wasnt doing it right because im not sure if you are supposed to be doing a 5 rep max on your first set and then lowering the weight down for the next sets to make sure you can still make 5 reps on every set, or if you are supposed to go a bit lighter so you can still lift the same weight as you used in your first rep for 5 on your final set).   Now if everyone is saying 5x5 is best even if I didnt really like it then I have to take peoples advice and just stick with the 5x5, because I'm not experienced in weight lifting. 

That's why a 5X5 set is performed at 80%, not 85%-90%.....

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 0:05 AM, adamblaha said:

I'm going with the 5x5 thanks to peoples advice and doing

Squat  5x5
bench 5x5
row  5x5
dips 3 sets

squat  5x5
overhead press  5x5
deadlift ramp up to 5 rep max
pullups 3 sets
farmers walks/holds 2 sets on each hand

Although I just hope I can get used to squats 3x per week with martial arts training and circuit training on the days in between :'( 

Also, i hope I can make progress on that and not have to do constant deloads for, for example being able to bench 100kg for 5 reps but not for 5 sets of 5 reps.  I will give it a good try anyway for at least a few months.  Thanks. 

Start about 50% of your 1rm and and work up from there. Dont go in at your heaviest.  

On 09/01/2017 at 0:34 AM, Quackerz said:

That's why a 5X5 set is performed at 80%, not 85%-90%.....

I dont understand because you are supposed to increase the weight each time you lift, so it wont stay on 80% of your 1 rep max will it?  By increasing the weight by 2.5kg each time you lift, it will get up to your 5 rep max at one point or another.  Which in a calculator is about 88% of your 1 rep max.    I did start the routine on well less than I can do, but I'm not starting on 20kg because that will waste months of doing nothing, since I already know how to lift the weights.  I started on 70kg for bench, 50kg for overhead press, which is easy for me doing 5 sets of 5.  Right now I've just been sticking with it since I started it.   

4 minutes ago, adamblaha said:

I dont understand because you are supposed to increase the weight each time you lift, so it wont stay on 80% of your 1 rep max will it?    

Are you actually going to run a strength building program but expect your strength to remain the same?

46 minutes ago, adamblaha said:

I dont understand because you are supposed to increase the weight each time you lift, so it wont stay on 80% of your 1 rep max will it?  By increasing the weight by 2.5kg each time you lift, it will get up to your 5 rep max at one point or another.  Which in a calculator is about 88% of your 1 rep max.    I did start the routine on well less than I can do, but I'm not starting on 20kg because that will waste months of doing nothing, since I already know how to lift the weights.  I started on 70kg for bench, 50kg for overhead press, which is easy for me doing 5 sets of 5.  Right now I've just been sticking with it since I started it.   

Your maxes will increase while as you progressively add increments. You get stronger by lifting heavier weights.

you can do 5x5 and not start on 20kg. Start on what you feel comfortable with.

18 hours ago, Lifesizepenguin said:

Your maxes will increase while as you progressively add increments. You get stronger by lifting heavier weights.

you can do 5x5 and not start on 20kg. Start on what you feel comfortable with.

Thanks for that, I'm really not in the mood. lol

2 hours ago, Quackerz said:

You can train at a higher intensity this way, at least I find. Everyone is different though. 

I always found hitting a muscle 2x a week for strength ended in quick injury. 

I like 1x a week for strength and 2-3x a week for hypertrophy

That's just me though.